Crash landing

Reaction score
When I manually land my p3s, as soon as it has landed and I manually shut down the motors, the a/c topples over on its side. I have lost a few props in this scenario. Any ideas, Please?

Hold the throttle stick in the full down position for 3 seconds to shut down the motors. Your Phantom won't topple over then.

As per Msinger, if you do a CSC shutdown it will likely topple, but throttle stick down and hold works, this is how I hand catch as it is difficult to do a CSC hand catch.

Reactions: hutch
I discovered this week that a left stick down and hold landing can still topple it if there is sufficient wind. I had an industrial site job this week. Health & safety protocol was for the drone to take off and land in a taped off area. Well, it got pretty windy and a gust toppled it as soon as the skids touched the ground -- due to ground friction keeping the skids from sliding as the wind hit it. So I was then allowed to hand catch with a light-weight safety glove for the remainder of the job. Winds were 20-30 mph that day.

When I manually land my p3s, as soon as it has landed and I manually shut down the motors, the a/c topples over on its side. I have lost a few props in this scenario. Any ideas, Please?

When I started flying radio controlled helicopters we used to have a real problem with dynamic rollover What we used is to dowel rods with a plastic golf ball on each end
3b073355a472cacb292afbe62a20be12.jpg

All you need now is a vertical rod and you'll be ready for rollovers in the other direction too ;)

Reactions: uke and Firestar
Training wheels for drones. Love it, but page displays Currently Unavailable.
It must be a hot item if they're sold out. Apparently they sell faster than they can make them.

My prop guards have saved me every time. Paid for themselves many times over.
I do have prop guards(now), but drone still topples over on a smooth landing pad (3 foot wooden disk). I am using the proper shut down techniques, left control down fully for approx. 3-5 seconds. Mostly, now, I just catch and hold.

You sure you don't touch the right stick when the drone is on the ground, maybe because you're trying to keep it on the landing pad? What if you bring it close to ground and then auto-land? CSC is a known way to get the P3S to tip over on landings, but full throttle down isn't, so maybe you're doing something wrong, or unique.

I had a similar accident. I had flown and landed. And left the motors running as I was trying to make different take off videos (ie some with gimble aimed straight down some at 45° just for personal video editing reasons) anyway it was on the ground running I then went to take off and it just wanted to lift off at the front but I caught it and backed off, I thought I had don't it to fast (to take off) so tryed it slower but this time it just flipped and destroyed 2 props.

I have had many connection and handling problems since last up date.

Glad to see or should I say sorry to see others having this problem. Every time this has happened to me is the same. Camera facing me, slow descent to touchdown, throttle to idle and hold. Right two motors drop off and the left two remain on for maybe half a second and this is enough to flip the drone.it happens about one in fifteen or twenty landings. I have become a "catcher". That might not be a good term for it but it works and much easier on props.

When I started flying radio controlled helicopters we used to have a real problem with dynamic rollover What we used is to dowel rods with a plastic golf ball on each end
3b073355a472cacb292afbe62a20be12.jpg

Ahh Heli "Training Gear". I remember them well. We used MANY sets of them training Heli Pilots. One guy went so far as to attach a Hula-hoop to them to give even more stability. It added a lot of weight (which also helped to slow things down) and gave a greater area of ground contact. These saved many blades, paddles, shafts, gears (and the list goes on and on and on with Collective Pitch aircraft) over the years.

When done perfectly the CSC is an effective shutdown procedure but if your timing is even a tiny bit off you give asymmetrical thrust = roll over. Throttle down is your friend here.

As my friend @MapMaker53 pointed out even the best of landings can still be troublesome if the winds aren't playing nicely. We use Hand Catch so much that we added it in our Corp SOP manuals. I'd say I hand catch 99.999999% of the time unless I'm flying as an instructor (we don't teach this initially to students).

Reactions: Meta4 and Firestar
On the picture I just showed one running left to right we used to use across method for the Dow rods but on the drones you can’t cross because of the gimbal so use one left to right and one front to rear. then establish rollovers

I’m sorry I hit the send button too soon I meant to Say ,this will stop the rollovers

I made them using two dowel rods I bought from Lowe’s and two with plastic golf balls I got from Walmart and just use wire ties to Secure them It did not seem to affect the flight performance at all

Had this problem before on non DJI drone. My right hand seems to be faster than my left. In initiating CSC, I move left stick position first followed by the right. My current drone doesnt have auto landing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20