Crash landing after smooth flight to look at a wind turbine

Reaction score
Hi all,

Filmed this just before last Christmas.
A smooth gentle flight (with music) to check out a local wind turbine.
Sun very low in the sky but doesn't spoil it too much.
My intermittent problems with a jerky gimbal were already happening BEFORE this mission.

Enjoy the landing :oops:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love the ending. LOL.

What a beautiful tour of your area...I loved the video and the landing was kinda a hard tumble But hope all was ok .Thank for the share.

Perfect... lol

Flying out of sight, birds were endagered of serious injury in the video, to close to windmills endagering the public, flying over property, other people.

Flying out of sight, birds were endagered of serious injury in the video, to close to windmills endagering the public, flying over property, other people.
There are a couple of birds that fly towards the drone and then veer away so not sure how I was endangering them.

I was flying at least the minimum 50 metres above property and people, apart from flying passed myself as it came down.

The mission was carefully planned around the wind turbine. I knew the GPS co-ordinates for it and the length of its blades so I made sure that I allowed for them plus additional distance to be safe.

As for flying out of sight, I only lost sight of it after it already passed beyond the railway track and the main road and had reached the empty fields.

I used Litchi so all waypoints were carefully pre-programmed GPS co-ordinates set at safe heights (apart from the last one of course which should have been 5 mtrs but lesson learnt on that one)

I was being a sarcastic person due to the bird police getting upset about a bird video I put on this forum. Sorry I made you explain yourself.
Okay, I understand now.
To be fair, your comment about flying out of sight was a valid point, especially as the rules are being tightened for drone users. I just hope the authorities show some common sense when evaluating whether or not a pilot has put public safety at risk.
I've just broken my personal distance record (7 miles or 37400ft) and to be honest I'm wondering whether or not to share it. When it's out of sight/control range it's mostly over empty fields so the risk is minimal.
I think I only fly over one house outbound and then again on the way back. The main risks are much closer to the takeoff/landing site but I have control/sight at those times.

Ya know, with a couple bogies on your landing gear you might have landed like DC-3. Hell, that was a perfect approach. Did that bad boy glide itself in? Where did your stick go dead? Anyway, an EXCELLENT video!!! Needless to say, the landing was a rush. Andale, amigo!

I don’t know about scaring birds.... I was flying my new phantom 4 Obsidian down in Devon the other week, about 6 miles from the coast and 2 seagulls chased me down and I had to make an emergency landing........ scared the pants off me...won’t do that again...

thought the landing approach was awsome with the voice over thumbs up from me

Yup, loved the ending, and the LOS and bird police can KMA.
Because I'm about to come out with an epic film that will have the bird cops gathering at my front door with burning torches and pitch forks.
Hundreds of thousands of Snow Geese, but that's the norm around here.

Reactions: Bazzo
I wouldn't actually call that a "landing". Not even a "controlled crash"....it just crashed!
Loved your seat belt and transmissions before the crash. Pretty much summed it up! :):D

I have a question. I have a Phantom 3 Standard also. But I can't get it to go out more than about 1,500 feet before signal loss. If I were to use the Lichi app, would I be able to go out farther? Does the app rely on its own internal signal, or does it still need to be in contact with the controller? I also have a P3 Pro. It has no problem going out to more than 2 1/2 miles before I panic and hit RTH.

I have a question. I have a Phantom 3 Standard also. But I can't get it to go out more than about 1,500 feet before signal loss. If I were to use the Lichi app, would I be able to go out farther? Does the app rely on its own internal signal, or does it still need to be in contact with the controller? I also have a P3 Pro. It has no problem going out to more than 2 1/2 miles before I panic and hit RTH.
The P3 standard uses wifi for control signal and that just won't go anyway near as far as the Lightbridge control signal of later models.
Using Litchi wouldn't change that.
But if you were to program a waypoint mission in Litchi, that would upload the missinon to the drone which would continue flying the mission even when signal was lost.
But having lost signal, you would have no idea what was going on during the flight.

The P3 standard uses wifi for control signal and that just won't go anyway near as far as the Lightbridge control signal of later models.
Using Litchi wouldn't change that.
But if you were to program a waypoint mission in Litchi, that would upload the missinon to the drone which would continue flying the mission even when signal was lost.
But having lost signal, you would have no idea what was going on during the flight.
Lord that sounds scary!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers