Semi-ambitious Litchi flight video

Reaction score
I've shared my crash video. I posted a question about spurious mission ending and loss of gimbal control. I can now post a video that is fairly watchable and gives the bigger picture. Yet also shows some possible cinematic flaws with Litchi gimbal control only. But the overall flight and video show litchi to be quite capable in precisely following a track and maintaining a good POI heading over a prolonged flight. (I said heading. Gimbal control can be a bit erratic on this flight which I've flown three times now).

Here is the goal. Fly exactly over every leg of my property line (33 acres) with the camera pointed at the house at all times. Idea being to give a unique perspective of property extent. While I know how to set up a path to follow terrain, that would not have given me what I wanted. So I stayed at 200 ft over takeoff point which was almost the highest point of the property. This is from the mission that lost gimbal control near the end. But it accidentally yielded an end better than the original focus on poi intent.

Note the jerky gimbal movement at one or two points as well as the off center poi at times (not an error in mission programming because subsequent flights behaved differently in these regards.)

Have sound on and enjoy the soothing music. :)

Here is an example of a Litchi mission demonstrating what you can do (there are a couple glitches with gimbal aiming which I need to sort out.)

The idea is to fly directly over my entire property line at 200 ft with the camera trained on the house to provide a perspective of property extent. I used google maps (which shows property lines) to get Lat/Lon of each turn in the property line. I used them to create waypoints in litchi mission hub. Then added more intermediate waypoints to smooth out camera aiming (may not have been the right idea). I used the litchi POI function to keep focus on the house. Gimbal control hasn't been perfect. But heading and waypoint flight was rock solid.

Turn up the sound and enjoy the music. :)

Reactions: Rosey
Pretty cool. Rarely have I gotten start to finish smooth results with Litchi. After over a year of using it I have resigned myself to expecting a few gimbal hiccups and now aim to get individual shots as opposed to entire videos end to end. Beautiful place you have there.

Pretty cool. Rarely have I gotten start to finish smooth results with Litchi. After over a year of using it I have resigned myself to expecting a few gimbal hiccups and now aim to get individual shots as opposed to entire videos end to end. Beautiful place you have there.
Hmm. Thanks for letting me know that. Kinda disappointing though. I was hoping Litchi could get me some cinematic camera movements. I added extra waypoints thinking they may provide better interpolation. Maybe I should try removing the intermediate ones along the straight lines and see what happens.

Mission Hub - Litchi

And thanks for the compliment :)

Video is great in my opinion. I'm not yet a litchi user. Kinda hemmed in by living 4 miles from O'hare Airport.

Note the jerky gimbal movement at one or two points as well as the off center poi at times (not an error in mission programming because subsequent flights behaved differently in these regards.)

I didn't see much to complain about in your video. Looked pretty good to me. It appeared to me that you had solid RC link the entire mission, with smooth gimbal pitch control, except at the end as you noted. In my Litchi waypoint missions, when I lose link and get a Signal Lost message, I'll still get gimbal yaw interpolation between POIs working well, but I'll get no gimbal pitch adjustment for POI at all, much less interpolation between POIs. Pitch remains frozen wherever it was when I lost link, until I get back in range, and then both gimbal pitch and yaw focus on POIs will operate smoothly again.

Take a look at the 38 second mark. That's one example. I have another video from another run where that happens about a half dozen times

You must have a great view from your house. Is that near Bolton Landing or is it on the other side?

Thank you. Yes, love the view. And Bolton Landing it is!
You need to run some missions next fall when the leaves start to change. Are there any boat launches up that way that would let you fly your drone from?

Reactions: Rosey
You need to run some missions next fall when the leaves start to change. Are there any boat launches up that way that would let you fly your drone from?
I keep a 20 ft Grady on the lake in season so I definitely plan on doing some flights on the lake from the boat or islands or whathaveyou. Maybe we should get together in the summer for some of this type stuff.

I would love to fly over the lake. Do they still run the Minne-Ha-Ha on the lake?

Something else you may want to try is to set the gimbal control to user so you can do it yourself. Then crank down the sensitivity. I've gotten really good results this way.

Take a look at the 38 second mark. That's one example. I have another video from another run where that happens about a half dozen times
Ah, yes.... I see that now. I don't think I've seen that behavior before though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing