Crash advice :(

Reaction score
So my Phantom had a faulty esc a few weeks back. This was repaired and fixed, I got it back and it was flying fine. I took it out on Friday evening and was flying it, it had been in the air for about 10 - 12 minutes and it had 10 satellites and was at about 130-140m, It was stationary and I took a couple of photos.

Suddenly one of the back corners dropped and the thing plummeted to the ground. Absolutely nothing I could do it didn't respond to anything and the one corner that survived had the new esc & motor :(

I completely gutted and after speaking with some shops (waiting for he distributor I purchased from to open on Monday) they've all said that this could not and would not be covered under warranty?! They knew it had a faulty esc / motor and the others didn't not need to be repaired. But obviously they did....

It's only just over 4 months old and has only been flown a handful of times. I have a bunch of witnesses who saw it, and came across and commented.

I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever if I had crashed it, or hadn't waited for sat lock etc. but it was flying fine then dropped out the sky. It hit a tree on the way down (probably 50 to 70m) below it I guess.

Any advice? It looks like the camera is working & the gimbal is trying to move (there's still images being transmitted from it) however it's pretty bent. The shell looks like it needs replacing but I would definely want all motors / escs replaced as this is the second time. Is there any way I can prove it failed or the cause of the accident?

Thanks in advance

Nick

:cry:
Sorry your bird crashed, Nic!

Unfortunately, that's the nature of flying machine, to be reunited with the earth.
I doubt the repair shop knew something was wrong, as you say, it was working before something failed.

Really sounds like you had a bad batch of esc's and for sure they should all be replaced. Absolutely DJI should replace the entire drone and absolutely they won't do it. They are a horrible company.

If the camera is transmitting images then it's working. The thing is trying to move so maybe the ribbon cable isn't broken? That's all good stuff. The arms for the gimbal can often be straightened but aren't super expensive nor are the camera motors. The case isn't all that expensive either. I know it looks hopeless but don't give up.

If you know somebody to repair things for you get a quote. If you are in the US give Hani a shout. Search the forum and you will see lots of people use his services.

Hani does great work and so do I. Either way your bird will be up in the air. Try not to stress about it. The camera can be bent back into nearly 100% condition. Just dont do it yourself, I get allot of repairs from people that have attempted things and only made the damage worse. Hani does 30-50 a week? and I do about a quarter of that number but I do allot of other platforms also, its hard to keep up with him :).

You will be flying and whoever does the repair will need to check all motor RPM at idle and monitor esc temps to see what is going on, unless its blatantly obvious. I do have a FLIR thermography unit that really helps out there.

You didnt happen to run the long prop guard screws into the motor windings did you?

Jeremy James

Thanks for the replies!

I didn't fit prop guards, as I didn't really see the benefit.

That's good news about camera - can the arm be replaced easily? I'm going away for Christmas on Friday and really wanted to take it. I guess it's unlikely it'd be fixed by then?!

Gutted

I'm based in Hong Kong so doubt I could get it to & from the U.S. easily. Not far from the factory really!!

:?
Maybe a local discount?

Know someone who works there who can get the camera ribbon cables?

Just kidding, but never hurts to ask.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj