Crack after update - warranty expired day of...

Jack, at the very least, I would get some stick time with 602 just to make sure the aircraft is functioning ok. There is no need to rush to get 509 on it if you are on 602. Take your time. If you were on one of the more recent FW that causes the shaking and cracking, that would be a different story.

If you're on 602 you are probably ok. Going to 509 is probably a matter of personal preference.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think .602 was released in July 2017, which is the one that closed the back door on parameter mods, which is the holy grail to open up the P4P for added capabilities. Do you have .602 with parameter mod capability?

Last edited:
Hi Guy's,
Know what, I just checked my P4 and my P3 Advanced, my P4 is fine but, I checked my P3 Ad and one of the motors bottom case has a stress crack just as your describing. Glad I checked, I will use some JB weld for plastic on it, I used this stuff to repair a friends camera gimbal on his Xplorer V drone and this stuff was amazing, left it over night and dried hard as a rock ! also just purchased those CNC aluminum bottom motor covers to help stop any other stress cracks. Thanks for the up dates, My P3A has never been landed hard ever so definitely a design flaw by DJI.
Thanks
SteveP55

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
So far.....here i seen No Mention of having nicely balanced props.....I have a prop balancer and i find that most ALL DJI props are perfect.....How ever i find some brand new ones that are not right out of the bag......A Un Balanced prop a foot out on that engine pod can sure set UP some vibes and destroy the plastic fast...sure it's not a very well reinforced area.....But a nice balnaced prop will do wonders to Not cause cracks....i in my early days did the wrong shut down and barely scraped the props........Had i not installed new props....Id be dealing with cracks now too.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
I would still register the complaint with DJI. If enough people do this, they may do something about it.

If you decide not to do it, DOWNGRADE the FIRMWARE STRAIGHT AWAY! The problem will only get worse with the existing firmware that is loaded in the aircraft.

Next step is to stop the crack from propagating. Perhaps get a new lower outer shell or use an epoxy to seal the crack?

Tim what firmware are you running , thanks.

So far.....here i seen No Mention of having nicely balanced props.....I have a prop balancer and i find that most ALL DJI props are perfect.....How ever i find some brand new ones that are not right out of the bag......A Un Balanced prop a foot out on that engine pod can sure set UP some vibes and destroy the plastic fast...sure it's not a very well reinforced area.....But a nice balnaced prop will do wonders to Not cause cracks....i in my early days did the wrong shut down and barely scraped the props........Had i not installed new props....Id be dealing with cracks now too.
Balanced props are no. 1 step dealing with high frequency vibrations. The motor housings can also be unbalanced adding to the problem.

So I had the wobble crack thing happen to my P4P.. I have asked for help in the DJI forums but no one seems to really say much.. My question is, is this still safe to fly and is there an easy way to fix/mend without compromising much.

I really don't want to send it in and pay out 200-300 for a repair to something that should not have happened in the first place..

My Phantom has never been treated rough.. My mind is blown right now..

This product works well .
IMG_1521243966.557938.jpg

So far.....here i seen No Mention of having nicely balanced props.....I have a prop balancer and i find that most ALL DJI props are perfect..

That was something that I've been wondering for a while now. I mean, stress cracks are probably an eventuality but, it seems like a lot of people on this forum are reporting cracks sooner rather than than later. I've gotta believe that unbalanced props could be a accelerating factor, no pun intended.

That was something that I've been wondering for a while now. I mean, stress cracks are probably an eventuality but, it seems like a lot of people on this forum are reporting cracks sooner rather than than later. I've gotta believe that unbalanced props could be a accelerating factor, no pun intended.
Runnin : Im with you 100%...even a very slightly scratched prop or props with a set UP like that where the engine pods set a foot out from the main body.....IF a props damaged a bit or many are damaged........the ((((((((vibes)))))))) on each engine pod would be terrible...I find that even a few brand new Dji props need balanced...I have a Do Bro prop balancer...and i check the balance on them right out of the bag brand new and balance them according to what is posted here to do that .....they can even cause a very unstable hoovering in place too !

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie markD1969
I find that even a few brand new Dji props need balanced

I'm in agreement with MotorCycle-Man. I've got a balancing set-up similar to the above and, in a limited sampling (a dozen props), I found that close to 25% of them are out of balance to some extent fresh out of the bag. Is that enough to cause/accelerate cracking? I honestly don't know, but I've been balancing my props just the same as a precaution, and inspecting the arms fairly regularly.

It's not just the props. The motor cans can be very unbalanced as well. Add structural torque stress and brittle thin plastic (made of recycled egg shells) and you've got cracking. This video shows how unbalanced the motors themselves can be.

Vibration is a killer , l raced model nitro boats , not the little ones but the 3 ft / metre plus ones and an unbalanced prop would cause all sorts of damage, broken shafts , loss of speed , bad vibration , l learnt really quickly to spend a couple of hours and balance all the different pitched props l used ,.

Tim what firmware are you running , thanks.
I'm on one of the older ones 1.3.509.

I think Motorcycleman is right; perhaps we are seeing unbalanced props really contributing to the cracking. I still believe that it is the firmware based on how after one or two flights cracks are being reported but it is also possible that an unbalanced prop makes it worse.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94