Copper dust underneath p4p props?

Reaction score
I've noticed dust on the props where they attach to the motors...it must be copper from the motors all of which turn freely and none getting hot after flight.
Has anyone else seen this before? Could it be a sign of problems?
I've attached pic?

Attachments

• 20191113_152706.jpg
    20191113_152706.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 238
Has anyone else seen this before?
I do recall it was thought to be rust from flying near the coast or other waters. I’m not certain if that has been confirmed over time, but since @Meta4 identified it back then I tend to put a lot of faith in it.

Here is one example:

Last edited:
Thanks @Oso and @Ruben Fred for the replies...I do live near the coast and fly near or over water quite often but I don't think its rust??

Thanks Oso for the link, I will keep an eye on it and keep you updated if it gets worse or clears up...

I fly by water and in the rain,not sure about actual rust like on cars but more of a residue coming off the spring hardening, me has had discolouring in past and not look pretty but you get that on some,,the spring sets are cheap so if unhappy just replace,,if wipe spring with tissue you might see same colour on tissue

I fly by water and in the rain,not sure about actual rust like on cars but more of a residue coming off the spring hardening, me has had discolouring in past and not look pretty but you get that on some,,the spring sets are cheap so if unhappy just replace,,if wipe spring with tissue you might see same colour on tissue
Thanks ianzone, will wipe springs and change them to see if that helps...

I've noticed dust on the props where they attach to the motors...it must be copper from the motors all of which turn freely and none getting hot after flight.
It must be copper ??
The copper windings in your motors are not subjected to any wear.
There's nothing that rubs on them.
If it's copper, you would have serious issues, but it's not copper.

It looks like pollen or oak dust. If so, It will wash off but it does stain. Use a stain remover like rust away, it will disappear. Luckily it is seasonal. If it’s copper, the rustaway will not remove it. Use a magnet to find out if it is rust.

It looks like pollen or oak dust. If so, It will wash off but it does stain. Use a stain remover like rust away, it will disappear. Luckily it is seasonal. If it’s copper, the rustaway will not remove it. Use a magnet to find out if it is rust.
Thanks for the info @Capt KO
Will try that out...

Reactions: Capt KO
It's just rust and there's not enough that you could tell with a magnet.
It comes from the spring on the motor post and there should be some around the prop mounts too.
i-BfVX97K-L.jpg

It's a only very minor cosmetic issue.

It's just rust and there's not enough that you could tell with a magnet.
It comes from the spring on the motor post and there should be some around the prop mounts too.
i-BfVX97K-L.jpg

It's a only very minor cosmetic issue.
Thanks @Meta4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers