Reaction score
I (somewhat recklessly in hindsight) purchased a used Phantom 3 Professional/controller/batteries secondhand over facebook marketplace. The previous owner demonstrated about ~5 minutes of flight to show that everything worked. However, when I went to fly the drone, the controller would power on, blink a couple times and then power off. I am only able to fly the with the controller when the controller is plugged into an outdoor outlet... it does not hold any charge even if I leave it charging overnight and it shows that it has full charge before unplugging. I did notice that there is a very long pause between each time the charging lights blink.

I did try doing a reset for the battery following the instructions in this youtube video and the condition has not changed:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
but it did not change the condition

Video of my controller charging:

Video of controller turning off immediately after being turned on:

Has anyone else run into this? Is it an issue with my battery or with the charger? The charger is charging the drone battery with no issues.

I (somewhat recklessly in hindsight) purchased a used Phantom 3 Professional/controller/batteries secondhand over facebook marketplace. The previous owner demonstrated about ~5 minutes of flight to show that everything worked. However, when I went to fly the drone, the controller would power on, blink a couple times and then power off. I am only able to fly the with the controller when the controller is plugged into an outdoor outlet... it does not hold any charge even if I leave it charging overnight and it shows that it has full charge before unplugging. I did notice that there is a very long pause between each time the charging lights blink.

I did try doing a reset for the battery following the instructions in this youtube video and the condition has not changed:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
but it did not change the condition

Video of my controller charging:

Video of controller turning off immediately after being turned on:

Has anyone else run into this? Is it an issue with my battery or with the charger? The charger is charging the drone battery with no issues.
Link to your video examples doesnt load for me , , ,my opinion if your controller led green lights are flashing in a slow progression, "charger issue"....I wish you good luck......

Reactions: engineer_girl
I had the EXACT same problem with a P3Pro that had been sitting idle for a couple of years. The controller battery had been left completely discharged for many months. Lithium batteries can't survive that, and mine had to be replaced.

DJI will not sell that battery as a spare part, even though replacing it yourself is a comparatively simple job taking maybe a half hour of careful disassembly and reassembly of the outer controller structure.

Youi can buy identical looking Li-Po batteries from the RC hobby suppliers, but I suspect they are not direct replacements. When I disassembled my DJI controller battery I discovered a tiny cicuit card inside the plastic shrink-wrap.

With no other options I returned the controller to DJI's US repair facility and, as it turns out, was very pleased with the results. For the $89 base repair charge they promptly sent me a brand new controller in shrink wrapped box with all original decals, etc.

Worth it, I thought and way better than spending $1-200 for a used controller on Ebay.

Reactions: engineer_girl
With no other options I returned the controller to DJI's US repair facility and, as it turns out, was very pleased with the results. For the $89 base repair charge they promptly sent me a brand new controller in shrink wrapped box with all original decals, etc.

Did you need a warranty to send the controller to the repair facility? I think that this is my best option at this point... thank you for the help!

No, that's why it cost $89. It's a multi-step process. You fill out a form describing what you have and what the problem is, they send youi a free shipping pick-up label. When it arrives they email you with an estimate, you approve and supply credit card info, they return or replace your device. If you decline the repair there's a "diagnosis charge" that basically covers the round trip shipping to get it back to you.

I had the EXACT same problem with a P3Pro that had been sitting idle for a couple of years. The controller battery had been left completely discharged for many months. Lithium batteries can't survive that, and mine had to be replaced.

DJI will not sell that battery as a spare part, even though replacing it yourself is a comparatively simple job taking maybe a half hour of careful disassembly and reassembly of the outer controller structure.

Youi can buy identical looking Li-Po batteries from the RC hobby suppliers, but I suspect they are not direct replacements. When I disassembled my DJI controller battery I discovered a tiny cicuit card inside the plastic shrink-wrap.

Worth it, I thought and way better than spending $1-200 for a used controller on Ebay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31