P3A Unknown Controller Charging LED Flashing

Reaction score
This is a short video showing my new P3A controller while charging. This unit arrived from DJI yesterday morning.

Yesterday, after unboxing everything I proceeded to charge everything starting with the battery first. I charged the drone battery (no problems...exactly as described). I unplugged it when it was finished and then plugged in the controller. Initially only the first LED was blinking and it slowly continued until all four were blinking (that took about 4 hours. Then it started the sequence shown in the attached video. I left it on the charger overnight and when I took it off the charger this morning this was the flash pattern. The controller was indicating a full charge. I flew the drone once this morning (first flight) and returned the controller to the charger. It has been on charge for 8 hours. This is the sequence it is currently showing. I am unable to find anything that tells me what is going on with this...so I don't know if this is proper or not. I assumed they lights would have gone out when full (same as the drone battery).

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Looks like the controller has problems with detecting when it's fully charged. This is most likely due to the charging circuit issue, though might also be a battery working outside of standard parameters.

Either way, hardware issue with the controller.

EDIT: If the controller does not get warm when in the semi-charging state, then it shouldn't impact its use. If it gets warm, then battery is overcharged - which will cause a malfunction, sooner or later.
(getting a bit warm during charging is normal, but it should take 4 hours, not whole night).

Last edited:
Thanks! No, the controller is not getting hot. Just barely warm. OK...I guess this confirms what I am seeing is NOT normal. I will contact DJI.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20