Compass error mid flight. WTF?

Reaction score
Not sure what is going on, but since last night I'm getting a compass error mid flight.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yo man, you might want to do a new IMU & Compass calibration, to see If that corrects this anomaly.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Did an imu yesterday. Just did another one.

Try chilling down the drone before the IMU? That seems to help alleviate several problems, and I am not exactly positive why?
After firmware updates, I always refresh my drones calibrations, and place the phantom 3 Pro, into the frost free kitchen fridge for 15-20 minutes. Before removing it, have the RC on, and the Go app ready, open on the IMU calibration page. Replace a warm charged battery in the cold drone, turn it on, and when the camera stops its initial movements, tap the IMU calibration button. I always do a gimbal calibration directly afterwards.
Take it back outside and recalibrate the compass now.
This calibration sequence, with a chilled drone, has helped numerous folks here achieve the goal you want to reach. ;-)
I hope it works for you, and it should. Fingers crossed.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: lonjsnyder
Compass and GPS are two very important elements of the system. Proper compass calibration and home point set are definitely a must for successful flight.

I just had the same at about 200ft. Lasted about 10 seconds. I've never had that happen, but I was ready after reading your post earlier. Thanks!!

Went to look for my compass calibration button - hadn't done it in a while. They've moved the cheese and I am embarrassed to say I can't find the thing ....

On the first front page of your Go app. ;-) second row down...
How do you get there? Ha
Tap in the green, at the top of the screen, where it says ready to fly.

RedHotPoker

On the first front page of your Go app. ;-) second row down...
How do you get there? Ha
Tap in the green, at the top of the screen, where it says ready to fly.

RedHotPoker
Oh yeah. Right. In. Front. Of. My. Nose. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Compass and GPS are two very important elements of the system. Proper compass calibration and home point set are definitely a must for successful flight.
I do that every time. Something is wrong.

Just got back from a lake, and same exact thing happened- compass error mid flight.

I do that every time. Something is wrong.

That's why it is suggested that you should do calibration at site if you are sure of no Magnetics around. Heavy Magnetics around will definitely alert you but otherwise it might mislead you that you did correct calibration.

When done correctly, they seem to work well, hand in hand.
I always do my calibrations together, and only avoid the compass cal., as it's raining out. But I will update it, first chance, when out of doors.
Seems it helps subtract things to watch out for, before problems arise.
What suggestions have you to offer this pilot, that might help him, get his drone flying without error messages?
I suppose doing a proper compass calibration wouldn't hurt. ;-)
Start at the root and work your way back...

RedHotPoker

compass errors seem to common with me even with different birds and different locations mostly over large lakes it seems, something I'm always prepared for now and I can fly pretty well by the map. I'm going to try the cooling before recal, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but possibly I've just figured it was a cause of cost/engineering as you get a lot of performance (flight time-distance) for the price so I'm sure they cant use top grade everything or the price would be unreachable by most

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Are you sure that you are actually doing a proper compass calibration, to start off with? That's very key, unless you are actually flying near a electrical interference or ferrous metal in the near vicinity. When a compass error is triggered mid flight, one must believe there is an anomaly perhaos hidden, near by.
I can thankfully say that I have never had a compass error, unless I was indoors.

RedHotPoker

I tested P3P and P4 on same site because having trouble with compass errors and gps cut-outs on my P3P.
P4 had no problem, not a single one, while I hade ca 10-15 warnings for satellite positioning off on P3P.

So it should be hardware problem in P3P or firmware hick-up.

Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
It happens to me quite often over lakes
Best never panic, first thing I do is go straight up on the stick so I'm clear of side objects as it will maintain height just not side to side

Yes but then you never can trust the drone and look for what you want to film, if you always have to be ready to react if drone will fall of from the sky or not...

Reactions: FlashBuddy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl