Compass error mid flight. WTF?

Yes but then you never can trust the drone and look for what you want to film, if you always have to be ready to react if drone will fall of from the sky or not...
Yeah, I feel like I need two heads!

NoCo Drones

I got 2 p3s one errors one is mint. Flights are at same place and time. Sent it in last week. So I checked my repair status and it says repaired and tested. I used the live chat and asked them what was repaired/replaced? They told me the IMU chip… do they mean the ESC?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I got 2 p3s one errors one is mint. Flights are at same place and time. Sent it in last week. So I checked my repair status and it says repaired and tested. I used the live chat and asked them what was repaired/replaced? They told me the IMU chip… do they mean the ESC?

There is a IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit).

Did you have the same updated firmware in both of your P3's?

Yeah I run 1.5.7 on the first one and updated the second one to 1.6.8 to see if it would fix it and it didn't do I downgraded it back. So yes I had same firmware

same happened to me today, for no reason the P3A went compass error exit GPS. done started to drift away. i panicked and pressed the return to home key. Nothing for about 10 seconds, then it came back. No damage other than needing new underwear. Compass would not calibrate, moved to a new location, calibrated compass and flew for 20 mins no issues. /for the price we pay these bloody things should be better shielded from interferance.

same happened to me today, for no reason the P3A went compass error exit GPS. done started to drift away. i panicked and pressed the return to home key. Nothing for about 10 seconds, then it came back. No damage other than needing new underwear. Compass would not calibrate, moved to a new location, calibrated compass and flew for 20 mins no issues. /for the price we pay these bloody things should be better shielded from interferance.
What you did by switching to RTH was the wrong thing to do and is one of the #1 reasons for a pilot produced fly-away. If the compass has such an issue that it switches out of GPS function, why would you want to put it back in that mode knowing it is confused and Does Not Know where Home Point is?
In this instance, you would want to switch controller into A-mode and regain control of the aircraft. Fly it to Home Point using A-mode. Also watch the screen to display when it is safe again to use the P-mode on the controller and switch back to P-mode once GPS is available(Green message display).

Don't let the panic get the best of you.

Reactions: kirk2579
Thanks for the reply and advice. i am a novice and should have done more research. but but thanks to people like yourself who take the time to respond, i can always improve my skills and learn from more experienced pilots. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31