Compass Calibration

Reaction score
I am new to the p4, and drone world. I just got a p4 2 days ago.
I have seen and read that Compass needs calibrating before each flight. When i turn it on, it doesn't give me the option to calibrate it. just has a details button.
It does connect to 12+ sat. every time...and no issues flying ,,was just curious

You can calibrate the compass here:

DJI-GO-Calibrate-Compass.jpg

You don't want to calibrate before each flight though. See more details here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allgood
Very true what msinger said. No need to calibrate each flight and when you do make sure it's outside away from metal objects. That also includes concrete pillars as they have metal inside. Worth noting to get litchi from the app store. Not free but the Dji go app is causing a lot of video feed problems and the map is horrible. You can downgrade to an earlier version but I would recommend flying before you go for any firmware upgrades. And if it flies great then don't upgrade the firmware. Make sure Google settings is not on auto upgrade.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can calibrate the compass here:

View attachment 70030

You don't want to calibrate before each flight though. See more details here.

Ok, thanks for your reply, but it doesnt say disconnected up top of mine,, it always connects to the sats. with no problems. (like your first pic)
and on your second pic, mine has a detail tab next to compass , i guess were it is already connected.

Very true what msinger said. No need to calibrate each flight and when you do make sure it's outside away from metal objects. That also includes concrete pillars as they have metal inside. Worth noting to get litchi from the app store. Not free but the Dji go app is causing a lot of video feed problems and the map is horrible. You can downgrade to an earlier version but I would recommend flying before you go for any firmware upgrades. And if it flies great then don't upgrade the firmware. Make sure Google settings is not on auto upgrade.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have been useing the DJI 4.0 app. seems to do ok,,,but haveing live feed issues rt now. And wondering if its my samsung tablet or something else. Is the litchi app better?

Ok, thanks for your reply, but it doesnt say disconnected up top of mine
I snapped that screenshot while my Phantom was disconnected. I was trying to show the status area needs to be tapped :)

Allgood,

For a while there I was a "calibrate every flight" kind of guy. After reading the message traffic here I decided to go with the "no need to calibrate" every flight group.

So far it has not been a problem at all and I haven't had to calibrate in over 50+ flights so far.

AD

When i turn it on, it doesn't give me the option to calibrate it. just has a details button.
It does connect to 12+ sat. every time...and no issues flying ...

Same with me. I was expecting to do the compass calibration dance before my first flight but haven't been prompted to do so on that or subsequent flights. I haven't taken the P4P out in the wild yet so all of my flights have been from the same general area (take-offs within 150 feet of each other), so maybe that explains no prompts to calibrate.

You don't need to calibrate even the first flight. The P4 and p4p compasses work differently than previous phantoms. Changing geographical location no longer requires compass calibration.

Allgood,

For a while there I was a "calibrate every flight" kind of guy. After reading the message traffic here I decided to go with the "no need to calibrate" every flight group.

So far it has not been a problem at all and I haven't had to calibrate in over 50+ flights so far.

AD

That's good to know. Are you flying a P4?

You don't need to calibrate even the first flight. The P4 and p4p compasses work differently than previous phantoms. Changing geographical location no longer requires compass calibration.

Can you confirm no compass calibration is needed if I travel to another country and magnetic north is then different?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Can you confirm no compass calibration is needed if I travel to another country and magnetic north is then different?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Confirmed. The manual was even changed to remove the wording about calibrating compass because of geographic change. The compass no longer really cares about magnetic north being different. The compass now simply is used to determine craft facing direction in the current area.

Confirmed. The manual was even changed to remove the wording about calibrating compass because of geographic change. The compass no longer really cares about magnetic north being different. The compass now simply is used to determine craft facing direction in the current area.
Correct.

DJI finally got around to implementing the rather simple code to set deviation and inclination using the available location from GPS. Why it took this long for them to get around to it is a question for the Drone Gods.

The marketing dept is, of course, prohibiting adding this code to the P3x firmware.

Reactions: F3honda4me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31