Compass calibration stuck solid green

Reaction score
Hi, first post here.
I have been happily flying my phantom 1 for a bit over a year with no issues. Current firmware, consistent calibrations.
Had a decent crash (my fault) clipped the top of a really tall tree, broke a prop and fell from the sky, and since can't calibrate the compass. I can enter calibration mode (light turns solid yellow), I do the horizontal spin (light turns solid green), I turn it nose down and do the vertical calibration... but the light just stays solid green. No mater how many times I spin, or the angle I tilt, or how fast I spin, just stays solid green until I flick the gps/atti switch to leave calibration mode. Everything else seems to function (getting full satellite reception, not getting compass errors).

What I have done/tried"
- basic and advance IMU calibration about a hundred times.
- Compass dance so many times in multiple locations (inside to the middle of nowhere).
- inspected the gps puck for cracks, all good.
- inspected all connections inside, checked for damage.
- reinstalled firmware.
- removed and smacked the naza m sensor on all sides.
- degaussed the compass and re-calibrated (numbers are good).
- tried a new compass... same thing stuck on vertical green solid light.
- feeling fed up, I took apart the case of the sensor to look for physical damage or stuck sensors, couldn't see anything wrong.

In the tools / IMU calibration, all the values seem fine EXCEPT acceleration(g). After advanced callibration, the X and Y values go to zero and don't really move. They just fluctuate between 0.00 and -0.00. If I move, shake or tilt the Phantom I can sometimes get the values to move a little, but only maybe to 0.02 at the most. Watching videos on the web, I see people handling their phantoms gently and the numbers are bumping up and down to excess of 0.10.

Thoughts or insight?
Does that mean the accelerometer sensor is broken? sound like an issue inside the Naza box? or somewhere else? Where is the acceleration sensor and how does it create the values?

If I cant get the compass to calibrate, is it still safe to fly in atti mode? never tried manual mode... is that safe? I did a test flight, felt unstable and fishbowly with gps and atti, but it was also really windy.

There is a local place (outside of vancouver) that charges $70 for a diagnosis, but after buying the new compass and props, don't want to spend more if i'm just going to find out it will be hundreds for new parts...
If I could just pinpoint the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!
jon

Which position are you stopping in when you flick the S1 from GPS to ATTI to initiate the compass calibration? Try it 1 more time and stop flicking the switch by ending in GPS.

"No mater how many times I spin, or the angle I tilt, or how fast I spin, just stays solid green until I flick the gps/atti switch to leave calibration mode."
You are not the one to "leave the calibration mode". The Phantom automatically leaves calibration mode after a successful calibration. This is indicated by flashing green LED.

Sounds like you just had a brain fart (just like me) and for whatever reason stopped flipping the switch while it was in ATTI.

I just did the same thing last week and stood there scratching my head. I pulled out the manual I printed and went Duuh. :confused:

Here's a quote from the manual, top of the box on page 15.
"1. Quickly switch control mode switch from GPS Mode to ATTI. Mode and back to GPS Mode"

I hope I'm right, and that you can say "Duuh, I knew that". :D Let us know what happens.

Oh yea, WELCOME TO THE PARTY jon west.

Take a look in my signature for a couple helpful links.

Which Vancouver are you flying around? I know some folks around the ones in the NW.

Thanks for the welcome, and the response! I'm in the canada vancouver.

Tried your suggestion multiple times, the light still stays solid green... no matter how many times I spin with the nose down, at any angle, the only way to get the solid green light to turn off is by unplugging the battery or flicking the switch from GPS to Atti and back to GPS.

Calibrations always worked fine before the crash, feels like I have tried everything, so i'm thinking that something is physically broken, or something isn't communicating, cant find anything, so i'm not sure what to do. If I knew for certain that it was within the naza module, i'd buy a new one, but I don't want to spend hundreds of $$$ sending this in for diagnosis and repaired because I'd rather put the money towards a phantom 3... but I've grown attached to this little guy, and would rather keep him alive.

Is it still safe to fly in atti mode if the compass isn't calibrated?

One strange thing I found (and also read on the internet), with the compass completely unplugged, I am still able to to the horizontal calibration dance (from solid yellow to solid green)! Does that mean that the calibration is actually happening in the naza module? or just that the naza module is just sensing that the rotation is done? So confused :eek:

Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers