combining drone footage with audio from below

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I recently started combining drone footage with audio that is recorded below (during the same approximate times but not during the drone flights). For each of the following examples, I used a P4P to obtain the video and a Sony PCM-D100 to obtain the audio:

jungle in Peru

swamp forest in Louisiana

Last edited:
I recently started combining drone footage with audio that is recorded below (during the same approximate times but not during the drone flights). For each of the following examples, I used a P4P to obtain the video and a Sony PCM-D100 to obtain the audio:

jungle in Peru

swamp forest in Louisiana
Very nice. A great idea and certainly much much better than some of the noise called "music" that accompanies some videos. I can sit back and relax to these audio tracks.

Very nice. A great idea and certainly much much better than some of the noise called "music" that accompanies some videos. I can sit back and relax to these audio tracks.
Thanks! As shown in this photo, I deployed the audio recorder with two external batteries so that it can record continuously for a week. There were some intensive rain storms, but everything stayed dry with the microphones protruding through a hole in the bottom of the case. The furry covers over the microphones are essential for avoiding noise due to wind.

Reactions: Phantomwolf
Thanks! As shown in this photo, I deployed the audio recorder with two external batteries so that it can record continuously for a week. There were some intensive rain storms, but everything stayed dry with the microphones protruding through a hole in the bottom of the case. The furry covers over the microphones are essential for avoiding noise due to wind.
Dead-cats are much better at reducing wind noise than foam covers. Once I tried the furry creatures I never went back.

I like your rainforest-in-the-clouds footage, but would have preferred a musical soundtrack. I tend to think that sound effects work better for particular things that the drone, if silent and equipped with a microphone, could have recorded in-flight. For example, waves crashing onto rocks, or a passing train.

There is a lot of potential there. A few things might make it a bit more immersive. Some editing software could remove the background low drone that is always audible in the recordings. That could be replaced with some barely audible wind noise because the aircraft "is" moving throught the air and your brain is kind of expecting to hear some evidence of that now and then. Lastly, the loud and wonderful sounds of bird calls that sound like they are right next to you are amazing, but again, we subconciously know that they aren't below us. It disconnects us. Those might be better if dialed back a bit, maybe converted to mono (so it sounds like they are below us instead of flying right beside us), and maybe a bit of echo to make it sound as if coming from the forest floor below.

Regardless, very nice and I'm not criticizing, I'm just thining about how it could be even more amazing... Nice work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl