questions about Litchi

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I have some questions about Litchi. I realize that some of the answers may already exist in other discussions, but I want to be sure to get the latest information. I have been using the P3 to obtain footage of habitats and wildlife in a Louisiana swamp forest. Due to the flat terrain, the only possible obstacles are trees, which don't exceed much more than 100 feet. I can probably set the altitude to 150 feet and never have a problem. I would like to be able to send the drone outward on a radial for a mile or so, turn 90 degrees and fly for a shorter distance, and then return to home on another radial. I have been able to do this to some extent with DJI GO, but I usually lose contact at about 1/2 mile and have to fly at the max altitude to get out that far. I would like to be able to go out to greater distances at lower altitudes so that the image quality is better. I'm not going to get greedy and try to test the limits of the battery. All I need is a reliable driver that allows me to enter the coordinates. Does Litchi allow such flights? If so, where can I find all the information that I would need to get started?

Not really sure why you would be loosing signal at 2500ft or so, I can go much farther out than that and never lose signal. In answer to your question, Waypoints would do that for you in Litchi. You have quite a bit of control over altitude, gimbal position, and so forth. And even if you lose signal, the "Mission" will complete reguardless, assuming you have good GPS.

Reactions: hjklaassen
Not really sure why you would be loosing signal at 2500ft or so, I can go much farther out than that and never lose signal. In answer to your question, Waypoints would do that for you in Litchi. You have quite a bit of control over altitude, gimbal position, and so forth. And even if you lose signal, the "Mission" will complete reguardless, assuming you have good GPS.
It is because the flight is from within a forest. Even when the leaves are down in the winter, it usually starts to lose contact within less than a half mile.

It is because the flight is from within a forest. Even when the leaves are down in the winter, it usually starts to lose contact within less than a half mile.
(Normal) With a boosted external antenna you might be able to reduce the signal loss and have greater video feed distances.

I understood that part to an extent, every locale is different in. But if you are looking for lower altitude flights in areas that you already know you will lose signal at distance at higher altitudes, you are barking up the wrong tree. As mentioned before, autonomous with Litchi will do what you need, but obviously you will lose signal at lower altitudes in the scenario you describe.

I understood that part to an extent, every locale is different in. But if you are looking for lower altitude flights in areas that you already know you will lose signal at distance at higher altitudes, you are barking up the wrong tree. As mentioned before, autonomous with Litchi will do what you need, but obviously you will lose signal at lower altitudes in the scenario you describe.
I don't understand. It was my understanding that Litchi allows you to make long flights that are out of range. That is what I would like to do -- flights at fairly low altitude (but well above the tallest trees) out to a mike or so and back. I am not able to make such flights with DJI GO because of the loss of contact. Unless I am completely misunderstanding Litchi, it should allow me to make such flights.

I don't understand. It was my understanding that Litchi allows you to make long flights that are out of range. That is what I would like to do -- flights at fairly low altitude (but well above the tallest trees) out to a mike or so and back. I am not able to make such flights with DJI GO because of the loss of contact. Unless I am completely misunderstanding Litchi, it should allow me to make such flights.
It will. But plan VERY carefully.

You may lose video feed as well as control signal, but Litchi missions will complete regardless.... unless a tree or building darts into the drone's path.

I don't understand. It was my understanding that Litchi allows you to make long flights that are out of range. That is what I would like to do -- flights at fairly low altitude (but well above the tallest trees) out to a mike or so and back.
Litchi will make long distance flights out of range. My point was that obviously, if you lose signal at higher altitudes above the tree lines, you will almost certainly lose signal at lower altitudes simply due to the lower angle you would have to face the controller. Trees will most assuredly interfere with your signal, if you are trying to fly just above the tree tops. As long as you are not too low you should be ok, signal wise. As said before, plan very carefully. And when you plan your mission, rule of thumb is, set either your first waypoint or last waypoint close to you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic