Changing Lens Filter Etiquette

Reaction score
Hey all,

I got some new lens filters and was down at the park testing them out, taking shots to compare to the old filters, etc.

Another UAV enthusiast came up to chat. When I brought the craft down and set it on the table to unscrew one filter and screw on another, he asked why I was messing with the gimbal like that, as if it's something you don't do. I did not power down the craft or secure the gimbal with the guard before / during filter changing / adjusting.

The reason I was doing it this way is because I wanted to rotate the filter on the lens while looking at the FPV screen. This part is important to me because I wanted to test the full strength of the polarisation effect compared to the older filters I have (details below).

Question: am I not supposed to handle the gimbal like this? I am supposed to power down and guard, change filters, then fire it back up to view the results? Even after installing a filter, what about rotating it to view on screen? Am I note supposed to do that while the gimbal is powered up?

Chris

Details: I got the newer Polar Pro Cinema filters. These actually are 2-element filters, where the one you screw on the lens stays fixed (once tightened) and the front element then turns freely, just like the CP filters we put on our SLR cameras. You can actually see it darken and lighten on your screen as you rotate that front element.

The older PP filters were called CP for 'Circular Polariser', but to me that seems misleading if they are 1-element, non-rotating filters; to me, those would more accurately called a 'Linear Polariser', which still have an effect, but not exactly the same (google for more info on that).

I can't answer your question but I have not touched the camera while powered up only while power is off and in 'limp' mode as I call it...I'd be afraid of damaging it while powered on.

I don't mess with the gimbal while powered on. Aligning the polarizer is as simple as holding it up to your eye (without sunglasses on) and looking through it while rotating it. Note what end needs to be up and then install it, rotating to desired angle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4