CAUTION! VPS AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE

I got the ultrasonic error first flight after I did the update. Did a full IMU calibration and so far haven't seen the error again

yes a real bummer.... with the lag problems, over heating problems and now VPS problems..... I wish it was possible to go backwards... it's a pain... if you don't update? The app bugs you to death... :(

I don't mind updating if I have trust in them... but the last two updates have caused issues... lost my trust u could say.
DJI and the bad customer support. Be Careful with the Firmware updates. If it works fine, don’t upgrade it. I did and it messed up the VPS on my phantom. DJI says I have to send it in to fix the issue. They made the bad firmware so I think they should send me a temp P3P. They are just so bad at CS and now Im wishing I went with the 3D robotics Solo.
Get off your butt DJI and learn to treat customers right.

I did not do IMU calibration. It was not in the DJI update instructions.

You're kidding right? Why would you need to be told to do something that gives so much piece of mind, and more?

"It didn't tell me to do it". What about it didn't say to not do it? o_O

Think of a firmware update as a new team with more knowledge then the last team. But the new team is not going to know how to use their more knowledge until you bond them together by way of re-calibrating the IMU. As long as the quad is level, and not extra warm to hot, you will never harm anything by doing the re-cal process. :)

You're kidding right? Why would you need to be told to do something that gives so much piece of mind, and more?

Think of a firmware update as a new team with more knowledge then the last team. But the new team is not going to know how to use their more knowledge until you bond them together by way of re-calibrating the IMU. As long as the quad is level, and not extra warm to hot, you will never harm anything by doing the re-cal process. :)
Fank: How level is "level"? Ive seen the "level" word used for IMU cal, and I'm wondering if it means "exactly level" or "pretty much level".. thanks!

Fank: How level is "level"? Ive seen the "level" word used for IMU cal, and I'm wondering if it means "exactly level" or "pretty much level".. thanks!
I would say to make it as level as possible-- download a bubble app on your android or Iphone and use it to get the level of he surface you are setting the phantom on, level. That app will put you very close.

This entire 'level' issues is out of control. Try your garage floor or kitchen floor or work bench. Get a 36 inch carpenters level with bubble. Thats it. Make sure one of those surfaces is the most level, put your Quad on it, start the calibration, stand aside, don't touch anything and thats all you need to do!

Reactions: Brad Pierce

As well as the gimbal and controller stick calibration. Definitely gives me more peace of mind!

theoretically you dont need the IMU calibration, etc.
but since we never know exactly what changed, DJI being soft on details and heavy on weird bugs - recalibrating everything at each update seems sane and safe.. i always do it.. IMU, gimbal, sticks, and magnetometer (the later you should re calibrate between flights anyway)

Reactions: Jbundy63
This entire 'level' issues is out of control. Try your garage floor or kitchen floor or work bench. Get a 36 inch carpenters level with bubble. Thats it. Make sure one of those surfaces is the most level, put your Quad on it, start the calibration, stand aside, don't touch anything and thats all you need to do!
This may be difficult for some in some places to us a 36 inch carpenter level-- at least in my case that was the issue. It was very easy to use a 12x12 board, level that on my work table, and set the phantom on it-- If the my floor or bench is not level then it could be an issue.

Out of control-- I don't think so. Differing opinions, probably.:)

You know it's really all in what your seriousness to the hobby is. I would say sitting on the soft pad feet under the landing gear while on the dinning room table would be ok at a minimum.

But if you are into it like I am where I'm doing Top Speed Flights then you may go to the next extreme. Setting something under the landing gear so the soft pads are not a factor and having dedicated measuring points is part of my experience. I'm working with aerodynamics of the quad now, as in working with the air-vents and landing gear to reduce drag & resistance. However I decided I would not do anything with the camera and gimbal from their stock form.

My next area I will focus on is the Gain Settings. I have made some change changes with the Pitch just to see if the changes have an effect or not, and if they stay that way throughout the flight. Basically I'm saving the best part for last which is the Gain Settings.

Btw, they have the Phantom 3 restricted a lot on what it is capable of.

Reactions: Grad and bobmyers

I would actually disagree. Every time you re-cal the compass or IMU there is a chance you do a bad cal for whatever reason and get worse performance or a crash. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I cannot think of any possible reason a firmware update would need a IMU re-calibration. If it's not in the instructions associated with the update, no need to do it. IMHO

I would actually disagree. Every time you re-cal the compass or IMU there is a chance you do a bad cal for whatever reason and get worse performance or a crash. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I cannot think of any possible reason a firmware update would need a IMU re-calibration. If it's not in the instructions associated with the update, no need to do it. IMHO
True

Bah... same issue with my P3P. Although I did have issues beforehand with the VPs not keeping alt below 5 feet. Now 15 ft or lower and the craft no longer holds height. It just goes down until it lands.

No other issues with the FW for me, but this issue is pretty disconcerting.

FYI, I have updated firmware three times, and the latest is definitely causing errors with the ultrasonic sensor and VPS unit. I had ultrasonic error and altitude measurement issues the other day, and this a.m. (early) I took off with the auto-takeoff, using VPS, and the copter skidded across the ground and chipped a prop. I turned off VPS and flew fine, but this is no way to run a railroad. It certainly undermines confidence in the software/firmware stability overall.

theoretically you dont need the IMU calibration, etc.
but since we never know exactly what changed, DJI being soft on details and heavy on weird bugs - recalibrating everything at each update seems sane and safe.. i always do it.. IMU, gimbal, sticks, and magnetometer (the later you should re calibrate between flights anyway)
You know, it would be a lot easier if DJI would be specific on what needs to be done. I find a lot of detail missing for such a advanced technical system documents. You would think the engineers would know if you need to do a cal or not on any particular system. I'm a bit disappointed in the level of detail in DJI's texts, from OM to FW updates.

On my P2V3, I always recalibrate everything after updating. DJI does not say so but disaster if you dont.

I have problem loosing video files. I can see those files in Director app, but not in my sd card in my computer. I can find the .THM files but not .MOV files. .MOV files came double in SD card with two separate flight/ filming sessions. Director crashes every time i try to access the files which are missing.
I did latest firmware update and now P3 is swinging to right as there were 5m/sec wind from left.

Lost .MOV files
Downgraded flight parameters.

Phantom 3 Pro
iPad Mini 2 WiFi

I have problem loosing video files. I can see those files in Director app, but not in my sd card in my computer. I can find the .THM files but not .MOV files. .MOV files came double in SD card with two separate flight/ filming sessions. Director crashes every time i try to access the files which are missing.
I did latest firmware update and now P3 is swinging to right as there were 5m/sec wind from left.

Lost .MOV files
Downgraded flight parameters.

Phantom 3 Pro
iPad Mini 2 WiFi

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic