CAUTION! VPS AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE

yes a real bummer.... with the lag problems, over heating problems and now VPS problems..... I wish it was possible to go backwards... it's a pain... if you don't update? The app bugs you to death... :(

I don't mind updating if I have trust in them... but the last two updates have caused issues... lost my trust u could say.

**** that sucks, I didn't know that, I guess because I haven't had any problems. Ugh now I will be hesitant to do the next update [emoji19]

How there is some resolve for you soon!

Not to get off subject, but I find it really odd that dji has released all of these firmware updates and the P3's have only been out almost a full month now, I think they're using their customers for lab rats

Reactions: Jbundy63
When did firmware 1.2.7 come? I just updated last night to 1.2.6

They are for different birds. Pro is 1.2.6 and Adv is 1.2.7 (or vice versa - too lazy to check DJI site).

Gents, I found a problem with the new firmware. It may be widespread or just on my bird (doubt it). My VPS isn't working properly. Once the craft is about 4'feet from the ground it descends to the ground without notice. It won't hold altitude under 10 feet. It just lands and not too slowly either. Just an FYI to keep your hands on your controls and eyes in the sky when your bringing her in. Has nothing to do with battery level etc and I checked and double checked all settings. Ugh. Come on DJI. And yes, no issues with my bird prior. It flew fine 20 mins before the firmware was updated. Thx and I hope this helps a few of you out there avoid meltdown. Let's hope there is a fix lined up for this.

P3P. No problem here seems. Noticed it seemed to "take a quick seat" when I get down to a couple inches from the ground but it did that before....i think.

UPDATE: VPS tested indoors moments ago. Works fine on my P3P.

Last edited:
My P3 does the exact same thing since the latest firmware firmware update. Doesn't hold altitude / hover under 10 feet. Turned off vps and does fly better.. awaiting next firmware upgrade or patch.. never had issues until this update...
Exactly the same for me. Word for word. P3A.

P3P here, went and flew about 15 minutes tonight after the update yesterday, no problems with VPS. Just another sweet flight!

44 flights without a hitch. Great performance, great video, great range 2500' even with trees not a flicker with video. Only concern has been battery temp. Seems way too hot to be in such close proximity to all those gadget thingies.
After 2 flawless flights last night I update the firmware. Go out to fly this morning tells me I need to update RC. Update RC go to fly and will not connect. Recalibrated IMU and the gimbal as it's now a little left of center and tilting to the right. The gimbal did not correct after running auto calibrate. However the bird did connect without a problem. Took off after pre-flight and compass calibration. Hovered at about 12 feet. Prior to update hovering was crazy steady, wouldn't budge more than an inch or two if that. Now it drifts 8-16 inches in both directions and altitude will change slightly. Not bad just noting difference. Flew about 10 minutes and everything went well. Went out to fly this evening, took 30 minutes of every combination of stops and start sequences you can imagine. Finally got connected and went flying. Flew about 10 minutes then at 230' altitude and distance of just under 600' video starts breaking up and refresh rate on the screen drags. Absolute line of sight. Open field. No obstructions. All the way back and hovering at 20' at a distance of 14 feet no solid video.
I don't know the App, Ipad mini 2, RFI, improper alignment of the stars?

Pro or Advanced?

44 flights without a hitch. Great performance, great video, great range 2500' even with trees not a flicker with video. Only concern has been battery temp. Seems way too hot to be in such close proximity to all those gadget thingies.
After 2 flawless flights last night I update the firmware. Go out to fly this morning tells me I need to update RC. Update RC go to fly and will not connect. Recalibrated IMU and the gimbal as it's now a little left of center and tilting to the right. The gimbal did not correct after running auto calibrate. However the bird did connect without a problem. Took off after pre-flight and compass calibration. Hovered at about 12 feet. Prior to update hovering was crazy steady, wouldn't budge more than an inch or two if that. Now it drifts 8-16 inches in both directions and altitude will change slightly. Not bad just noting difference. Flew about 10 minutes and everything went well. Went out to fly this evening, took 30 minutes of every combination of stops and start sequences you can imagine. Finally got connected and went flying. Flew about 10 minutes then at 230' altitude and distance of just under 600' video starts breaking up and refresh rate on the screen drags. Absolute line of sight. Open field. No obstructions. All the way back and hovering at 20' at a distance of 14 feet no solid video.
I don't know the App, Ipad mini 2, RFI, improper alignment of the stars?

Just a quick note in this. I was the original poster on RCG who found the issue. I had one good flight after the update with no problem. It was the next flight where I got the VPS error and things went down hill .

On the other thread here in PP I posted the links describeing exactly what's happening.

ust be aware mine is gaining hight by its self in VPS mode so Just be careful flying indoors,

It's some very odd behavior indeed. It does not seem to affect everyone but when it does it's really strange.

Just a heads up.

If your going to test do it outside with plenty of space.

Last edited:
I've only ever had one flight with VPS which was the very first one which did not show any prolems, since then had around 23 flights turned off with no issues.
I turned it off because i do not fly indoors, fly low to the ground or use auto land/take off, you only need it turned on if you use any of those features. The way i see it is that its just another piece of technology which has the "potential" to cause possible problems if it fails.
Its a good feature to have and will certainly turn VPS back on if i ever fly indoors.

Sorry double post. I today tested new firm for 20 minutes, and first find VPS is not effective - actually stable landing was OK, so VPS seems to be "active but don't keep position/altitude." I left my bird @2m, then finally came down to 5-10cm (very slowly) until I lift up.
Anyway, I don't feel it's problem... around the ground, I could keep position/alt by control, and over 10m, it's certainly stable; I have no idea if my bird suddenly be stable when VPS is ineffective, or it's same as before update.

However, I'm satisfied because gimbal horizon became better with this update.

A finial note on this I forgot to add. My self and at least one other have found VPS still seems to be working to a point even when turned off. I was able to fly it up and down a slope with VPS off and it tracked the ground and kept its height perfectly, it should have slammed into the ground on the way back up however you could clearly see it doing its stuff.

Don't know if this is since the latest firmware or not as never tried before.

At low level with VPS off mine is massively stable so I'm wondering if part of it is still active.

Thought I would mention it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic