CAUTION! VPS AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE

I have problem loosing video files. I can see those files in Director app, but not in my sd card in my computer. I can find the .THM files but not .MOV files. .MOV files came double in SD card with two separate flight/ filming sessions. Director crashes every time i try to access the files which are missing.
I did latest firmware update and now P3 is swinging to right as there were 5m/sec wind from left.

Lost .MOV files
Downgraded flight parameters.

Phantom 3 Pro
iPad Mini 2 WiFi

Reactions: TMSmalley
Gents, I found a problem with the new firmware. It may be widespread or just on my bird (doubt it). My VPS isn't working properly. Once the craft is about 4'feet from the ground it descends to the ground without notice. It won't hold altitude under 10 feet. It just lands and not too slowly either. Just an FYI to keep your hands on your controls and eyes in the sky when your bringing her in. Has nothing to do with battery level etc and I checked and double checked all settings. Ugh. Come on DJI. And yes, no issues with my bird prior. It flew fine 20 mins before the firmware was updated. Thx and I hope this helps a few of you out there avoid meltdown. Let's hope there is a fix lined up for this.

This is a little off topic but related so I thought I'd throw it out there. In relation to VPS, I haven't read anywhere that there's a directive to be in either GPS or ATTI mode with VPS on for indoor flying.
The reason I questioneed this is two fold. With GPS on, if you're inside a building that let's say get's
intermittent GPS lock and you're trying to film delicate scenes moving at say 2 feet per second, the brakes can jump in and interfere with the graceful manual movements and mess up the shot so the question becomes, should you be in ATTI mode when using VPS. With that, if you are in ATTI mode, does the VPS disengage. In other words, does GPS mode engage (tracking per se), either from VPS or GPS. Does being in GPS or ATTI mode disengage or possibly affect the working of VPS. Do they compliment one another if in GPS or do they fight one another? Because I don't want to burn through $150 batteries performing a dozen flight tests, I haven't flown in each circumstance to eliminate the variables.

Gents, I found a problem with the new firmware. It may be widespread or just on my bird (doubt it). My VPS isn't working properly. Once the craft is about 4'feet from the ground it descends to the ground without notice. It won't hold altitude under 10 feet. It just lands and not too slowly either. Just an FYI to keep your hands on your controls and eyes in the sky when your bringing her in. Has nothing to do with battery level etc and I checked and double checked all settings. Ugh. Come on DJI. And yes, no issues with my bird prior. It flew fine 20 mins before the firmware was updated. Thx and I hope this helps a few of you out there avoid meltdown. Let's hope there is a fix lined up for this.
I did the update and have experienced zero problems.

@Sammynels
Does not sound good. Wonder if other people experience the same issue. I still haven't updated myself.

Thats the question. However, it might fix something that you don't know is wrong or might go wrong. Or it might include new or improved functionality.

Personally, I always update to the latest.
All software is in some kind of a "beta" version - but, the bugs are free. My Phantom 2 Vison + Version 3 is SOLID!

I would actually disagree. Every time you re-cal the compass or IMU there is a chance you do a bad cal for whatever reason and get worse performance or a crash. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I cannot think of any possible reason a firmware update would need a IMU re-calibration. If it's not in the instructions associated with the update, no need to do it. IMHO

As I mentioned I do re-cal for piece of mind. We know there is nothing that suggest that it does or does not need to be part of the process. Once you have a fly-away or strange things happen that are not explainable, doing something like recalibrating for a piece of mind makes sense. I have never performed a re-cal and had something go wrong, or the quad fly worse prior to the process.

FYI, I have updated firmware three times, and the latest is definitely causing errors with the ultrasonic sensor and VPS unit. I had ultrasonic error and altitude measurement issues the other day, and this a.m. (early) I took off with the auto-takeoff, using VPS, and the copter skidded across the ground and chipped a prop. I turned off VPS and flew fine, but this is no way to run a railroad. It certainly undermines confidence in the software/firmware stability overall.
Yep, I have ultrasonic errors every flight after the firmware update. Unacceptable, and now I'm about half afraid what may happen next...

Everybody rushing to update!! If there's nothing wrong with your aircraftt, WHY UPDATE? I'm just saying...
i was thinking the same thing, my P3P has been 100% fine (touch wood) after reading some of these stories I really don't know if or not to do it

Any of the possible improvements aren't going to beat the stability of the old firmware. Don't do it for my sake! Lol.

Reactions: AbsPapa
I too am experiencing the same problem as you explained in this blog. Since I have updated my firmware to v1.2.6, my aircraft P3P will not hover very stabbally. It is also drifting slightly. I actually have to stay right with the controls now otherwise an accident could occur. This sucks. Before I updated my aircraft hovered like a rock. So, I guess what it amounts to is, DJI has got some glitches in their recent firmware that they have to deal with. They are selling us something that is an experiment. If you don't update the firmware, you have to deal with all the error messages that pop up every time you powering up. That too sucks. I hope they (DJI) comes up with a remedy soon and fixes this issue once and for all. None of us have a genie in a bottle, so here we sit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue today after my update. **** this sucks. I'm going to try to turn VPS off and see if it does better. Can I go back to the old firmware some way.
I wonder if we can sue DJI in small claims court? Chinese company, hmm? I kinda dought it.

Reactions: Ari
P3P 1.2.6 tried indoor VPS here no issue.
I had an issue with 1.1.9 and VPS on over gravel+asphalt, sunny day a couple of days ago so I leave it off outdoors now. it would bounce up/down and with the wind that day it actually flipped. Over some other surfaces I had more luck, but it's annoying/dangerous/unreliable.
Where did you get 1.1.9? The only update I see available on DJI's website is 1.1.6.

Wow. I was all set to pull the trigger and order a P3A but after seeing all these issues, I think I'll wait for a bit to see if DJI gets it figured out or if I need to look elsewhere for a camera ship.

The latest firmware loaded without a hitch for me. VPS works rock solid for me. Just maybe you've switched VPS off?

All the basic checks have been done. IMU x 3 cold, gimbal recal x 3 (hell of it) and went through every single setting. It's a glitch with the new firmware. I have tried to troubleshoot it by every method known to man.

took it out again to test it. Brought it up 20 ft with VPS on and it starts sinking. quickly get into the menu and turn it off, and it hovers. Turn it back on, sinks. Does the exact opposite it was designed for.

Reactions: Ari
took it out again to test it. Brought it up 20 ft with VPS on and it starts sinking. quickly get into the menu and turn it off, and it hovers. Turn it back on, sinks. Does the exact opposite it was designed for.

It shouldn't be active at 20'. Going to try it again later, but the update seems okay.

Im installing firmware from the 18th....do I need to upated controller for the advanced? I'm not sure where to look to see.

Yes it you didn't in the penultimate update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues