CAUTION! VPS AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE

Yep, I have ultrasonic errors every flight after the firmware update. Unacceptable, and now I'm about half afraid what may happen next...
I'm already customized to ultrasonic errors, ignore and continue flying. :) Actually VPS is effective only under 10'' when it works, so I pay more attention under 10'' when taking off and landing. The VPS error causes slow descend which can be corrected by manual, and I usually use hand catch when landing. No problem. :D

Still being on 1.1.9 on my P3Pro, would you generally advice to stay on that and not update just yet?

For what it is worth, I have virtually no problems. I am very happy with my P3Pro even though once in a while I've noticed the camera/gimbal 'reboot' in air.

By the way; I'm flying with VPS turned off (flying outside).

What about this guys. Your filming a scene and your "coasting" a good 4-6 feet off the ground. Does VPS assist in keeping you off the pavement?

Yes it will up to 10'. In the DJI Pilot App you'll see an icon bottom right that shows when VPS is active.

I have my P3P for about two weeks now. Out of the box it flew fine. It does fly fine today but the Pilot app shows several errors, the gimbal is working too hard and causes a message "Gimbal motor overload". The VPS is not working properly and shows"Ultrasonic system error, land as soon as possible". I notice a instabil behaviour in the first minute after taking of. Hovering is more inaccurate then before the upgrade. I am not happy with the upgrade and I worrie about the gimbal doing more work then it has to do. It does'nt seemto bee good for the construction of it. The updated Pilot app is a dragon... it crashes 3 times per flight and does not show the accurate heigth of the Phantom. And it is slowwwwwwwww..... Pffffffff, I like the Phantom and the images it gets. The flying is very fine but I do not need these shabby upgrades. It's not "Professional". I wish I did not do the upgrade; there was nothing wrong but the signs of the app where clear: you DO need the upgrade. Now I wonder: why...............

BTW: I do have fun with the thing :)

-----

P3P
Android
Netherlands

Reactions: Ari
OK .... we finally got a nice enough weather day to fly our P3P after the latest FW update.
The bird flew flawlessly.
I tested it through a battery of maneuvers, including some fast spins and turns, some [relatively] rapid climbs and moderately rapid descents, and hover tests at various altitudes.
It handled better than any of our Phantoms even have, and seemed to be begging for more when my wife reached up and caught it while I shut it down for night.
I did not find one flight parameter out of of normal range.

I have my P3P for about two weeks now. Out of the box it flew fine. It does fly fine today but the Pilot app shows several errors, the gimbal is working too hard and causes a message "Gimbal motor overload". The VPS is not working properly and shows"Ultrasonic system error, land as soon as possible". I notice a instabil behaviour in the first minute after taking of. Hovering is more inaccurate then before the upgrade. I am not happy with the upgrade and I worrie about the gimbal doing more work then it has to do. It does'nt seemto bee good for the construction of it. The updated Pilot app is a dragon... it crashes 3 times per flight and does not show the accurate heigth of the Phantom. And it is slowwwwwwwww..... Pffffffff, I like the Phantom and the images it gets. The flying is very fine but I do not need these shabby upgrades. It's not "Professional". I wish I did not do the upgrade; there was nothing wrong but the signs of the app where clear: you DO need the upgrade. Now I wonder: why...............

BTW: I do have fun with the thing :)

-----

P3P
Android
Netherlands
Are you using a 3rd party filter (ND, CP) on your camera .... like the PolarPro model .... by chance?

Been flying with the update for a week been working fine till today, got a ultrasound error at around 90 feet brought it back and put her down. Restarted everything, auto take off and it just slowly landed itself, and about tipped over .. It's a p3p . I wonder if the sensor is dirty, I've never taken off grass till today usually take off concrete but on vacation at a cabin with no concrete around...

Update on this, very strange. I had done the upgraded firmware and got "success" in the text file, but I decided to go ahead and put the .bin file back on the card and reboot. I did that, and left it for at least half an hour. It didn't appear to do anything. I then redid the IMU calibration, etc.

Now - seems totally fine. VPS working like normal, no more ultrasonic sensor errors.

Is it possible that the firmware did not, in fact, load correctly, but just said it had?

Update on this, very strange. I had done the upgraded firmware and got "success" in the text file, but I decided to go ahead and put the .bin file back on the card and reboot. I did that, and left it for at least half an hour. It didn't appear to do anything. I then redid the IMU calibration, etc.

Now - seems totally fine. VPS working like normal, no more ultrasonic sensor errors.

Is it possible that the firmware did not, in fact, load correctly, but just said it had?
Now all we need is someone else still experiencing the VPS issues to try what you did and we have ourselves a winner.

Gents, I found a problem with the new firmware. It may be widespread or just on my bird (doubt it). My VPS isn't working properly. Once the craft is about 4'feet from the ground it descends to the ground without notice. It won't hold altitude under 10 feet. It just lands and not too slowly either. Just an FYI to keep your hands on your controls and eyes in the sky when your bringing her in. Has nothing to do with battery level etc and I checked and double checked all settings. Ugh. Come on DJI. And yes, no issues with my bird prior. It flew fine 20 mins before the firmware was updated. Thx and I hope this helps a few of you out there avoid meltdown. Let's hope there is a fix lined up for this.
Yep, the same thing happened to me. It seemed to correct itself after a while. I didn't have that problem on subsequent flights, only on the first flight after the update.

That's interesting. I had it on 3 different flights after the update. Then I did the "reinstall," redid IMU, and seems good. It's nice to have it back, it was feeling like it wasn't really safe to fly.

I'll have to try it. At the firehouse for a 24. Looks like I'm doing some night flying off the roof here tonight! Then if I get a call I just RTH and hope it's on the roof when I get back!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl