CAUTION! VPS AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE

I understood VPS only works comes into play in denied GPS area if got gps locks then VPS not needed and doesnt come into play

Well its supposed to work like a seamless transition if going from gps to none gps and vps comes into play then
like coming from outdoors to indoors flight the vps supposed to take care of flight indoors so to say

I'm very disappointed with the FW update created issues on my P3A. The drift is significant and the inability to hover in place has been lost for me. It was scary at first after my normal take off. Instead of the normal rock solid hover in place like a hummingbird, it just slid sideways and lost altitude. Nothing that could not be handled, but still alarming when the behavior was completely out of the ordinary and unexpected. A good reminder to always expect the unexpected while flying.

I'll for sure be sending my flight logs into DJI as they have requested. At least it seems as if DJI is aware of the problem they created and that they are putting immediate resources on it to get a fix. Time will tell I suppose.

I upgraded from 1.1.8 to 1.2.7 with the hopes the new version would have fixed the Android/iOS FPV lag and freeze issues....it didn't.

Now I am reading that 1.2.7 has introduced some instability!...doesn't DJi run a flight test before releasing new firmware?

WTF

http://forum.dji.com/thread-21636-1-1.html

I understood VPS only works comes into play in denied GPS area if got gps locks then VPS not needed and doesnt come into play

that was what was originally suggested but my experience and what has been confirmed later is that the VPS system, camera and/or ultrasound are active at all times when low enough for them to come into play regardless of GPS or not , IF VPS is on that is, I have also found something is active even when VPS is off as i was able to go up and down a slope last night with VPS off and it followed perfectly,

so with VPS turned on all take off and landings by the APP are VPS assisted, low level flying is VPS assisted, you will see the VPS icon appear when its working and in range.

its there looking and seeing if it can help at all times unless you turn it off,

Last edited:
Hey GPS doesn't have such accuracy as the VPS. GPS only can detect 1-couple of meters drift and height drift is more. The optical flow detector detects few centimeters horizontal drift @1m, and supersonic sensor also has 10cm precision in vertical. So it's natural to think VPS utilize both info when available (that's under 3m DJI says).

Works correct or not is another story. :)

I've tested with the new firmware update again today outside. Some intermittent gust of wind even better testing VPS.

I recorded the whole test with a GoPro on my hat in an effort to help by posting my results. Turns out my vid would be pointless in illustrating the "problem" as there doesn't seem to be on for my P3P.

My bird seems fine. Maintains a 1, 2, 3, 4, foot altitude while staying in it's X and Y space give or take and inch or so. To mix it up with the textures that the VPS is looking at I hovered over short yard grass, over pebbled patio, and roof of my house. Again, last nights test in the basement, with zero GPS signal, proved ok. There was i little "floatyness" to it but nothing like the reports others have claimed. I have to remember this things on board equipment is not military grade GPS and VPS. It's a pro-sumer $1200 quad. That said I'm prone to be the fist person running around screaming, "The sky is falling".... but not this time. Thankfully.

Hope the issue, what ever the "fix", is worked out soon for everyone but I'm sure my P3 isn't anything more special than the next person's.

Last edited:
VPS also works with P-GPS - you can disable that tho. and it only works when you're close the ground.

its makes a significant stability difference at low altitude outdoors for take off.

that was what was originally suggested but my experience and what has been confirmed later is that the VPS system, camera and/or ultrasound are active at all times when low enough for them to come into play regardless of GPS or not , IF VPS is on that is, I have also found something is active even when VPS is off as i was able to go up and down a slope last night with VPS off and it followed perfectly,

so with VPS turned on all take off and landings by the APP are VPS assisted, low level flying is VPS assisted, you will see the VPS icon appear when its working and in range.

its there looking and seeing if it can help at all times unless you turn it off,
You are seeing a reading from the ultrasonics. What indication do you have that the VPS is working?

What indication or verification do you have of this?
its really easy to check for yourself actually. just turn it on in the advanced options (VPS that is) and take off in P-GPS mode, stay around 1m high and see how much it moves around (horizontally) (it should be: not much, few centimeters)

Land, turn it off, try again.. it drifts a bit in a larger bubble (maybe 75cm wide, so significant enough that there is no doubt). I did that with 18 sats and its really clear.

While I like the additional precision outdoors with VPS on, I don't mind having it off too much since generally im higher than that and its not used anyway.
I did have a VPS issue on the previous fw once where it went crazy so im a little weary to enable it when not necessary anyway.

Note: VPS on/off altitude control is good either way, and ultrasonic/baro readings from the flight log are always exactly the same, so i can't really tell if VPS option includes both the optical flow sensor and ultrasonic sensors (my understanding of the documentation is that it does, but who knows ;).

Reactions: danjordrone
Flew out 3 packs today with the new firmware, didn't have to reset any options as they were persistent, bird flew out to 1000' fine video and control. Hovered a lot at 4' doing POI 360º turns (practice) and it held altitude just fine, took photos in 4:3 and 16:9, 4:3 had the lines, but I normally shoot in 16:9 to add stills to movies in post. So far all is good.

Reactions: JBG and bobmyers
P3P. No problem here seems. Noticed it seemed to "take a quick seat" when I get down to a couple inches from the ground but it did that before....i think.

UPDATE: VPS tested indoors moments ago. Works fine on my P3P.

Do you use Auto Takeoff indoors?

Flew out 3 packs today with the new firmware, didn't have to reset any options as they were persistent, bird flew out to 1000' fine video and control. Hovered a lot at 4' doing POI 360º turns (practice) and it held altitude just fine, took photos in 4:3 and 16:9, 4:3 had the lines, but I normally shoot in 16:9 to add stills to movies in post. So far all is good.
some good news!:)

the VPS issue starts with a VPS errors message, if you don't get this and it seems to be working then you should be ok, its looking like some are affected and some are not, the ones that are its instantly noticeable, especially when it start to ascend by its self when your off the sticks, some one has posted a video of his baro and vps reading over laid on his flight video when the problem happens and its allover the place, its like the baro is reseting in mid air, mine is showing my hight dropping into minus figures when landing on the same take off spot, i can take off and rise to 5m, then decent to ground, the app and flight logs will show me going from 0-5 then down from 5m passed 0 to -6m, this only happens in VPS mode,

As for when the camera and or ultrasonic is in play its unknown, i believe they are used as a pair but somethings working when VPS is off as i was tracking ground level last night.

DJI are working on it and they have replicated it from whats been posted so we just have to wait for a fix, in the meantime if your unsure turn it off.

Gents, I found a problem with the new firmware. It may be widespread or just on my bird (doubt it). My VPS isn't working properly. Once the craft is about 4'feet from the ground it descends to the ground without notice. It won't hold altitude under 10 feet. It just lands and not too slowly either. Just an FYI to keep your hands on your controls and eyes in the sky when your bringing her in. Has nothing to do with battery level etc and I checked and double checked all settings. Ugh. Come on DJI. And yes, no issues with my bird prior. It flew fine 20 mins before the firmware was updated. Thx and I hope this helps a few of you out there avoid meltdown. Let's hope there is a fix lined up for this.
IOS or Android? Just wondering since not everyone is having the trouble. Loooks like P3A and P3P both have had the same thing happen. Just a thought

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair