Catching a P3

Reaction score
I have heard that people catch their drones for landing if the ground is uneven etc. and the phantom should be easy to grab by it’s legs but how do you then shut the motors down?
I’ve heard that can you turn the drone upside down quickly but does that upset the IMU or overload the gimbal?

I have heard that people catch their drones for landing if the ground is uneven etc. and the phantom should be easy to grab by it’s legs but how do you then shut the motors down?
I’ve heard that can you turn the drone upside down quickly but does that upset the IMU or overload the gimbal?
You shut down just as you do on the ground - by holding the left stick down for a few seconds while you hold the drone steady.

Other important details
When you get the Phantom close, turn it so the battery is facing you.
Slowly reverse the Phantom toward you but a little above head high.
Stop when it's about 4 feet away.
Step forward and reach up with your right hand and grasp the base of the right landing gear.
Hold steady, and with your left hand, hold the left stick down.

Thanks for that tip, I was thinking I’d need both hands to catch the drone :) I’ll give it a try

There are lots of examples of hand catching on YouTube. Here's one:

AND : its a good thing to have that strap around your neck and snapped to the tab on the RC unit like in the video above !.....IF you should drop the RC in the attempt after you hand catch the DRONE and you have to stoop down and get the RC unit ! No telling where you might receive terrible slices from them spinning 4 blades :oops: even at near idle speeds..."BE CAREFUL PLEASE " ! " they could cut your neck vein and you would bleed to death fast " !

No telling where you might receive terrible slices from them spinning 4 blades
That's why you walk toward the drone rather than flying it back all the way.
And why you park it above face height and reach up to the drone.
Do not have it down at a level where the props can cut you.

And IF you should F uM bL e and drop the RC as you do your best to hold it with one hand........keep it at arms length as you reach down and pick UP the RC unit...and BE Careful...blades have no respect !

You shut down just as you do on the ground - by holding the left stick down for a few seconds while you hold the drone steady.

Other important details
When you get the Phantom close, turn it so the battery is facing you.
Slowly reverse the Phantom toward you but a little above head high.
Stop when it's about 4 feet away.
Step forward and reach up with your right hand and grasp the base of the right landing gear.
Hold steady, and with your left hand, hold the left stick down.
Mta4, awesome photography. I checked out all you shots and they are very cool. Kudos on the work.
Sparke

Thanks for that tip, I was thinking I’d need both hands to catch the drone :) I’ll give it a try
I always catch with my baseball catching hand, which is the left hand. Not at all comfortable, or as orthodox, catching anything with my dominant right hand. Too each their own but catching with the "right" hand as opposed to the hand to the right of your torso - should be the discretionary priority!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj