Catastrophic crash

Reaction score
I hate that this is my first post here! Was taking my drone for a short flight in the yard beside the house and got a little over-confident. Flew into a small tree and drone landed upside down on a stone paved driveway. It wouldn't shut down!!!! I was able to pick it up while I tried desperately to turn it off, but it refused to respond to the off command. I finally managed to shut it down by removing the battery from the drone. Unfortunately, by the time I managed to accomplish this, one of the motors has ripped away from the bottom casing. I've ordered parts to repair it, but wonder if something internal may be damaged which would cause this behavior? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Fred
20180517_091539.jpg

Same thing happened to me. Mine refused to cancel RTH and hit a tree, then flipped and dove to my driveway and skittered around upside down until I managed to pull the battery. You would think there would be a shutdown if inverted safety.

Anybody have any insight? Shouldn't my P3A power down if inverted? I've heard 4 stories other than mine saying they had to pull the battery to get the bird to go off.

Power Down When Inverted could be a problem if the aircraft becomes "upset" in air and is trying to re-stabilize itself.

Let's say you're flying along and don't notice a power-line and just barely clip it with the bottom of your landing gear. This causes the AC to tumble for a moment and in the process it becomes inverted. With the mentioned "Safety Measure" the aircraft would power-down and come tumbling to terra firma out of control.

With the P3 series you initiate the CSC command to power down in such a situation. It takes roughly 3-seconds of the command to shut the motors down but it does work (I've used it recently just let's just leave it at that LOL). I'll tell you from experience those 3-seconds seems like 5 minutes waiting on the FC to kill the power and stop the self destruction of the aircraft upside down on the ground.

I really don't Think you are going to know the damage internally thats been done thats "Unseen" till you have properly replaced a great bunch of parts and power UP !

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for the responses. I ordered a bunch of stuff to repair it and was all set to get started when I noticed the replacement motor didn't match the OEMs. Have returned it and ordered another (after closely looking at the illustration) and now have to wait another couple of weeks. ;(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20