Can you even buy new batteries?

Reaction score
Hello,

Been a while since I have been on here. I have a P3S.

1) Range issues since I replaced the camera and upgraded firmware. Lucky to get 1000 feet @ 250 elevation. Sometimes it goes up 200'(straight above) and wants to RTH.

2) Is there even anyplace to buy new batteries?

3) Is the P3S a lost cause?

Thanks!

New OEM DJI batteries are still available here on Amazon or here on eBay. There are lots of 3rd party batteries available too (if you're into that).

Reactions: Mortaci
Thanks for the heads up.

Wish I knew what the easy fix for the range issue was. Solder jumper wire?(tiny). New motherboard(how difficult, even available?)
New transmitter battery? Magic? Antennae? etc etc etc

Hello,

1) Range issues since I replaced the camera and upgraded firmware. Lucky to get 1000 feet @ 250 elevation. Sometimes it goes up 200'(straight above) and wants to RTH.

Thanks!
I have a P3S and fly it almost daily. I currently have 4 batteries in circulation all 3rd party batteries (3 are PowerExtra and 1 is FlyHi) all purchased off of Amazon. I prefer the PowerExtra batteries. My oldest PowerExtra battery has almost 170 charge cycles on it and it has been rock solid as have the other ones. They have performed just like my original DJI battery that I has since been retired due to swelling. I like ordering from Amazon because if you have any problems you can return the item and get your money back - last year I ordered a PowerExtra battery but one cell kept giving me large deviation errors so it went back for a refund. I replaced it with the FlyHi one I now have.

The P3S is definitely not a lost cause. Mine is almost 4.5 years old and is still going strong.

Chris

For your range issue.
Are you flying in a WiFi congested area? If so your range is going to be affected by the WiFi interference. I use a parabolic reflector and that usually helps with my signal. I find my range can vary greatly depending on the area where I am flying but the parabolic reflector definitely helps.

Chris

Reactions: Capt KO
For your range issue.
Are you flying in a WiFi congested area? If so your range is going to be affected by the WiFi interference. I use a parabolic reflector and that usually helps with my signal. I find my range can vary greatly depending on the area where I am flying but the parabolic reflector definitely helps.

Chris
I am out in the Boonies. Miles from any houses, powerlines, virtually no cell phone reception at all. My BIL owned this and actually got close to 5 mile with a tin can reflector before I got it off of him. He landed it hard and broke the camera ribbon.(he bought a Mavic) I tried a new ribbon and the camera all worked fine but couldn't see anything so I put a new camera on it and upgraded to newest version of firmware.

He lives in "high open country". Where he used to fly miles we now get 1000' if lucky. I even tried his tin can reflector and it made no difference. A lot of times 600' @ 200' elevation and she starts fighting the RTH.

With my Phantom 3S, whose controller I retrofitted with the ARGTEK range extender, I have seen ranges in excess of 6,000 feet, or a country mile, out in the sticks where I reside. That said, I fly Litchi auto-flight missions exclusively, with the drone flying beyond signal range quite early, as it embarks on round trips that typically run 6 miles. You cannot go wrong with Argtek.

Remove the upper shell and inspect the main board, soldier joints for battery , ribbon cable tabs bent , anything loose or not making contact to board.

Hello,

Thanks!
My P3S is brilliant you can buy batteries on line I think I got mine from Amazon I had Two for I think for about £80.00 hope this helps

Hello,

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks!
Lost Cause, sorry but you might as well be flying with a kite and string :(

The Phantom 3S, under Litchi control, will fly 6 mile round trips well beyond signal range, if this is permissible where you reside. Being lighter in weight than other Phantom variants, the P3S is an absolute beast under Litchi control. Can't wait for the prices to drop further on P3S, so I can acquire a fleet of them ha ha.

"My BIL owned this and actually got close to 5 mile with a tin can reflector before I got it off of him."

No he didn't...LOL

Lost Cause, sorry but you might as well be flying with a kite and string :(
I disagree! Sure, the P3S does not have a lot of range especially in WiFi congested areas but this can be somewhat mitigated with the use of a parabolic reflector. Also, if you are flying within the VLOS rules in most countries, the lack of range of the P3S will not be much of an issue because I doubt most people can see much beyond the signal range of a properly functioning P3S.

For a drone this old, it still amazes me how current it feels thanks to the support of third party flight software like Litchi, Dronelink, and Hammer which add features only available in newer drones.

For me, I continue to fly my P3S every chance I get (usually at least 3 to 4 times a week) and will continue to do so until it no longer flies.

Chris

Reactions: Squirrel!
I disagree! Sure, the P3S does not have a lot of range especially in WiFi congested areas but this can be somewhat mitigated with the use of a parabolic reflector. Also, if you are flying within the VLOS rules in most countries, the lack of range of the P3S will not be much of an issue because I doubt most people can see much beyond the signal range of a properly functioning P3S.

For a drone this old, it still amazes me how current it feels thanks to the support of third party flight software like Litchi, Dronelink, and Hammer which add features only available in newer drones.

For me, I continue to fly my P3S every chance I get (usually at least 3 to 4 times a week) and will continue to do so until it no longer flies.

Chris

Hi Chris,
I'm with you 100%. I have 2 P3S's bought new around 4 years ago and I wouldn't part with them.
The P3S does everything I need it to, and I don't have 1000's of dollars at risk.

Haven't used my P3S in a couple of years now. But I maintain the batteries. ;)

Reactions: Paul60
I continue to use my Phantom 3 Standard almost daily.

I just recently purchased Litra Drone leg mounts for attaching cube lights to the legs of my P3S to do light painting. With the cube lights attached it reduces my flight time by about 4 minutes overall because of the added weight.

It amazes me how my P3S which is almost 5 years old still flies just as well as the day I bought it. Thanks to the addition of third party software and the availability of 3rd party batteries, it is still relevant today. My Spark is newer, more stable when landing (has VPS), has more satellites, has newer tech and is a great drone but it will become obsolete before my P3S because there are no 3rd party batteries available for it and batteries are now very expensive and difficult to find, so once my current 3 batteries are done that will be the end of the Spark.

Chris

Reactions: Squirrel!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31