Can I charge my iPhone while flying?

Reaction score
In cold weather my iPhone dies rather fast when I am connected with and using DJI GO.
In winter time my phone lasts maybe 12-13 minutes.
So before I got an iPad mini for my P3Standard I use a power bank with 2A output to keep my iPhone alive while flying.
Is there a way to charge my phone while connected to Mavics controller during flight?
Otherwise a Mavic is impossible for me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I bought the bundle and the vendor told me that there's an accessory included which means you can charge your phone and the transmitter from a spare Mavic battery that you can tuck away in your pocket while in the air.

It looks like 2 USB ports on the back of it, so if you're phone's plugs into the tx then I doubt it, unless there's an unannounced feature that the phone can connect to the tx via wifi, which I think is unlikely or that if the tx is connected to the power bank, it provides power to the phone.

Looks like you can charge the controller with any micro usb charger. Hopefully the controller outputs some level of amperage when it's feeding video to the phone.

Hopefully the controller outputs some level of amperage when it's feeding video to the phone.
It will not output enough power to charge a mobile device.

Even when it's plugged into another battery via the power bank?

It can certainly be charged with the battery bank. The OP is referring to the RC charging the mobile device.

So am I!

If you plug the tx into the battery bank, will it then increase the output itself to subsequently charge his phone to which it's hardwired?

No. What you're describing is not possible. The OP probably needs a new phone battery.

My laptop won't charge USB connected stuff until it's plugged in, it's not like he's after a Star Trek transporter but that's a very valid point. If the phone doesn't last 20-something mins, might be time for an upgrade!

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
IPhones have never been very good in cold temperatures. When I am using mine in the freezing cold, even with a 1A power bank connected, or still loses more power than it gains. So I have to use a 2A output to keep it alive.
Maybe my phone is due for a new battery, but it would be sweet if that adapter that connects a flight battery to the RC also could charge the iPhone... Time will tell I guess, unless it is somewhere to be read in a manual already.

I don't think you need time to tell...according to DJI reps, it's just like the Inspire and Phantom controllers, wherein it puts out some current but not enough to trigger devices to accept charge (especially iOS devices). Slap a new battery in that thing.

Also for argument's sake, you probably don't want to syphon power from a critical flying control to a non-critical UI device like a phone. You can still fly when the phone dies, and this new controller has a display of it's own to show you telemetry and critical info...If you sucked the battery down charging your phone, and the controller dies, you better hope that RTH works!

Reactions: toegema
I don't think you need time to tell...according to DJI reps, it's just like the Inspire and Phantom controllers, wherein it puts out some current but not enough to trigger devices to accept charge (especially iOS devices). Slap a new battery in that thing.

Also for argument's sake, you probably don't want to syphon power from a critical flying control to a non-critical UI device like a phone. You can still fly when the phone dies, and this new controller has a display of it's own to show you telemetry and critical info...If you sucked the battery down charging your phone, and the controller dies, you better hope that RTH works!

If this DJI adapter that connects a Mavic Intelligent Fight Battery to the RC, there should be plenty power to pass on to the phone...(?)

Reactions: PhantomPlanet
You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject.. I own a Phantom 2. Do you have to plug your phone into the controller on the newer models? A friend of mine won a P4 in a raffle a little while back and only knew how to link his phone through a cable to the remote, which I found odd. Did they do away with wifi-remote connectivity?

WiFi is used on low-end models as it suffers from shorter range, lower video quality and higher latency.
Higher end models use a cable connection to allow for for a better link/performance.

In winter time my phone lasts maybe 12-13 minutes.
Your battery is shot. Replace it, or the whole phone.

The adapter can charge the phone only while not being used to fly, unless you're using the short range WiFi link.

WiFi is used on low-end models as it suffers from shorter range, lower video quality and higher latency.
Higher end models use a cable connection to allow for for a better link/performance.

Ahh, that makes sense.

And yeah.. only 12-13 minutes of battery life? And I thought the 3 hours my old iPhone lasted was bad...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj