P4 "drains" iPhone 6s in minutes - phone turns off

Reaction score
So i´m using an iPhone 6s with my P4 and with my other drones and the battery "drains" very fast, in a matter of minutes. For example yesterday I started flying with 58% on the iPhone but the phone shut off after less then 4 minutes of flight. The outside temperature yesterday was about 5 degrees Celsius.

When I turn the phone on again directly after it has died it has around 20 percent left even though it previously died. This happens when using the GO4 app and flying DJI drones. It happens with all versions of the GO4 app and all Firmware versions.
The iPhone has a normal battery health, and this happens only when flying drones, otherwise the phone never turns off like that, and it has happened when using my previous iPhone as well.

So what does make the phone die like that, does this happen to you too? And shouldn't the remote controller charge the phone, in my case non of my drones charges any of my phones.

Also, would it work for me to buy a double Lightning connector adaptor and connect from the phone one Lightning cable to the remote controller and another Lightning cable to a power bank at the same time, so that the phone is charging while its connected to the Remote control? Does that solution work?

So i´m using an iPhone 6s with my P4 and with my other drones and the battery "drains" very fast, in a matter of minutes. For example yesterday I started flying with 58% on the iPhone but the phone shut off after less then 4 minutes of flight. The outside temperature yesterday was about 5 degrees Celsius.

When I turn the phone on again directly after it has died it has around 20 percent left even though it previously died. This happens when using the GO4 app and flying DJI drones. It happens with all versions of the GO4 app and all Firmware versions.
The iPhone has a normal battery health, and this happens only when flying drones, otherwise the phone never turns off like that, and it has happened when using my previous iPhone as well.

So what does make the phone die like that, does this happen to you too? And shouldn't the remote controller charge the phone, in my case non of my drones charges any of my phones.

Also, would it work for me to buy a double Lightning connector adaptor and connect from the phone one Lightning cable to the remote controller and another Lightning cable to a power bank at the same time, so that the phone is charging while its connected to the Remote control? Does that solution work?
I have an iPhone 6 Plus that I've used for 18 months without any problems (always fly at 100%). Be sure to shut down any other apps running at the same time and I generally double tap the home button and flick off all the other pages that I may have open. The remote controller doesn't have the capacity to charge the phone even though it may indicate otherwise. The GO app is hungry for resources on your phone but that is another issue separate to it draining your battery.

Reactions: Brojon
This is a simple battery issue. LiION performs significantly less efficiently at lower temperature. This is probably typical performance at 5degC.

This is a simple battery issue. LiION performs significantly less efficiently at lower temperature. This is probably typical performance at 5degC.
You reckon? Whilst I defer to your knowledge regarding battery composition/performance, I never saw numbers like that during our wet and very cold winter over here. 10% maybe but nothing like the OPs performance and with a phone that is at the age it is. Typical flights were 15 minutes and I would land at 40% battery with close to 90% phone and usually bolt inside for a coffee.

You reckon? Whilst I defer to your knowledge regarding battery composition/performance, I never saw numbers like that during our wet and very cold winter over here. 10% maybe but nothing like the OPs performance and with a phone that is at the age it is. Typical flights were 15 minutes and I would land at 40% battery with close to 90% phone and usually bolt inside for a coffee.
Agreed... looking again that’s extra quick but still not out if the question if the phone has done a bit of work. I put new batteries in two of my kids 6’s... They were both knackered plus apple did something in firmware that changed the life reporting and made them die even faster.

iPhones tend to shut down prematurely in cooler temps. Mine shut down yesterday at 20% when I was working outside and it was in the low 50’sF. The cooler weather will also drain the battery much faster even if you aren’t using it and have all the apps closed. At least that’s been my experience.

I fly with a 6S+ and no issues. Coldest weather I've flown is was around 40F. Hottest was 110F
No issues other than the phone ghetting very very warm - prolly because I left it in the case.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus that I've used for 18 months without any problems (always fly at 100%). Be sure to shut down any other apps running at the same time and I generally double tap the home button and flick off all the other pages that I may have open. The remote controller doesn't have the capacity to charge the phone even though it may indicate otherwise. The GO app is hungry for resources on your phone but that is another issue separate to it draining your battery.
My P4 Adv RC charges my 6s when it's connected...

Well the thing is that it only happens when using the phone to fly DJI drones, it never happens otherwise.
Also when I turn on the phone again it has 20-30 percent battery left, even though it shut off due to depleted battery (according to the behaviour of the phone). So the battery wasn't in reality depleted, yet it shut the phone off.

Also when looking at the iPhone´s (iOS 11) built in battery health function (not battery charge, but battery health) it does indicate that the battery works perfectly normal and has no issues, it reports the battery health as 83% and number of charge cycles 330.

So if the battery were bad I guess it should affect the battery performance overall, and not only when using it with the DJI GO 4 app?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor