Camera obstruction error.

Reaction score
I have the tiniest bit of drag from a non-oem ribbon cable.. I think it's sized just a little bit off and the tilt has the tiniest bit of drag.. would that be enough to cause the obstruction error and for the tilt to snag in a couple spots?

That is completely possible, my friend.
These gimbals are so finely tuned, and TOUCHY, I've gotten that from my aftermarket gimbal, because wires were too stiff, I had to remove them, and replace with SILICONE wire, SUPER soft wire, problem solved. But if I were you, that would be my first guess, and would replace with OEM, aftermarket is never good in when replacing IMPORTANT functions, landing gear or things of that nature, sure! But unfortunately more times than not, you end up with crap like that! The time lost, cost more than the few extra squid! Glad you noticed the problem, you could have chased that for a long time!
Wish you the best, and please keep us updated! Always love a SUCCESS STORY!

Best of luck my friend
J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!

I reckon it's good to know that the gimbal is that sensitive. I have an (supposedly) OEM ribbon cable on its way. We'll see what happens..
the good news is... I'm down to pit stop times on disassembly and reassembly of my gimbal.
I reckon the next step would be trying to procure a tilt motor... I guess @hunch would be my go-to. :)

Reactions: hunch
He would be the best place to start, Hani is always willing to help! And extremely fair on pricing! Has helped me several times now!
Keep us posted!

J Dot

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a couple en route, but if I have issues with them, I'll pick a couple more up from Hani.

In the meantime, I'm going to try a little trimming of the tip that goes into the camera board to see if I can get the 'spool' to wrap straight w/out veering off to either side and dragging against the camera body or the motor wall.

I re-installed the ribbon cable in an attempt to make things smoother and the camera still hangs in the exact same spots. I took a couple videos to see what you all think.

First is a demo showing the ribbon cable in action. It doesn't appear to be binding, in any shape or fashion.. I can hear the tiniest bit of drag, but as strong as these little motors are (resistance to being pushed), I can't believe this little bit of brushing against the case could be causing this issue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The second video is the tilt motor in action. You can see a definite hang spot. There's no noise or dragging associated, that I can see. It just seems to be a dead spot in the tilt. I didn't go further down, but if you brush the camera, it will tilt further down and then get hung in a lower position, as well. What's odd, is it seems like the Drone thinks the camera has continued going down because when I rock the tilt wheel back up, the camera doesn't move for a second or two, in what appears to be the gimbal thinking the camera's coming back up, and then it catches up to the 'stuck' position and then the camera moves up. (whew, that was a lot of words. I hope you all followed that stream) :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Are you sure you don't have a bent shaft, on your pitch motor?
Pay careful attention to GAP, as you pitch camera up-down, if gap does not stay uniform in all positions, might be worth looking into?
Next
Might have gotten some sand or debris in brushless pitch motor/workings!
Might need to partially disassemble, and clean it up?

I was trying to watch gap in your video, but camera was bobbling back and forth ( rolling ) too much, to see clearly!

And it don't take much at all to stall gimbal. But it looks like it is RUBBING something, and getting Jammed, then on up pitch, it builds enough power to pop it loose!

Very odd!

J Dot

I would start with gap, inspect with a light and magnifying glass, then move onto possibly some debris or sand!

Take care, Fly safe!

I took it back apart, making sure to carefully inspect for any bends or irregularities. I can't find any at all.. I took the camera off the shaft and watched where the shaft goes through the arm towards the motor and spun it. There's no wobble, no play, no bend at all. The motor spins completely free, I can't hear any dragging or feel any resistance at all.

The weirdest part is how it seems almost like the motor 'drops' the tilt motion while panning down and the motor keeps on going because when I reverse the motion to tilt back up, there's a pause like the motor is coming back up and then picks the camera back up and it moves back to level. If I tilt slowly with the wheel, the pause takes longer before the motor starts moving back up again.

Other oddities, w/out even moving, the motors get hot and there's a lot of little buzz and chatter... I've done an advanced IMU calibration, thinking maybe it's just wonky gyros.. is there a way to calibrate the gimbal or is that all part of the IMU calibration?

I reckon my next step would be to see if @hunch has a working tilt motor he could sell.

Hunch,
May be able to offer assistance, as he is a certified DJI repair station! He works on the 2 plus more than any! There should be gimbal software somewhere for it? It has a USB fitting, but I have a non plus, so I can't help with settings , I use alexmos simplebgc with my aftermarket gimbals! I think hunch may be able to offer better advice than I!

Please keep us informed!
I'd like to know what happened to it?

J Dot

From what I understand, the USB port on the gimbal is purely for file access (so you don't have to remove your SD Card to view/pull files).
I may be mistaken about that, but it's all the info I've found, regarding the USB port on the gimbal.

I've definitely involved Hunch, if for nothing else, than to replace some parts. I'm going to see if he can help diagnose, first.

I'll definitely keep you all posted, should I find a resolution.

A+
Thanks for the input, I hope you find a solution, wish I could offer more assistance to you, Ive just never been lucky enough to work on the plus models yet!!

J Dot

Thanks!

Heh.. I don't know that I'd consider myself lucky *grin*... The + seems to be incredibly touchy.
That said, I can tear the camera down in my sleep... but now it's in my nightmares. :)

I'm that way with the p2v ( fc200 ) eggs! I've torn so many apart to repair, I can also do it all n my sleep ,
And yes, when an unsolvable problem comes up , it is like a living nightmare! Lol!
Luckily I only ever had one that just went into the trash, due to utter demoralization to me! I had enough, tried everything, tested everything, and at that point, I was done! PERIOD!

Lol
J Dot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers