Camera Guard

Just an fyi.

I received my camera guard and I had a small issue that I was able to mostly correct. I use a TradeCraft Case that is precut for my Phantom Plus and it provides a nice snug stock fit. I wanted to mount the new camera guard inside the open channels in the Phantom legs, not underneath. However, in doing so, the legs are now spread slightly wider which makes for a near impossible insertion of my Phantom into my TradeCraft Case. I'd rather not remove/enlarge any precut material from the TradeCraft case so..... I noticed that there is a square "notch" in each side of the camera guard. These notches apparently provide clearance for a small plastic "wall" that's inside each leg channel near the center of the leg. But the depth of these guard notches are not quite deep enough and therefore don't allow the guard to fully seat inside the leg channels making the legs spread wider than necessary. So, I took an Exacto knife, made the 2 notches in the guard slightly deeper, and now the camera guard fully seats inside the leg channels reducing the leg spread and also providing a more solid fit for the camera guard. While the legs are still spread out very slightly, I can at least get the Phantom into my case without excessive effort. I could subsequently eliminate the remaining leg spread completely by reducing the overall width of the entire guard slightly - perhaps 1/16" (~2 mm) and easily done with a bench grinder. But for now, the tighter fit seems to work just fine.
Your mileage might vary.

Hey TeeJayN,

Thanks for the input. I will deepen the notch. Apparently the little wall in the legs varies slightly from leg to leg. It just barely touches on mine. It is best if the guard edges make solid contact with the inside groove on the legs.
Thanks again for the feedback. It really helps.

:)

I have my Camera Guard installed and overall I think it is worth the investment,
- but did notice on recent flight landing that the Phantom tipped over (front face down) immediately after I stopped the rotors.
No damage was done, but I never had this happen before and was wondering if others noticed this with the guard attached.
I will keep an eye out to see if this happens any more, but just wanted to put out some constructive feedback.

I received my camera guard today :D
Thanks Gary. :cool:

fastsmiles said:
Hey TeeJayN,

Thanks for the input. I will deepen the notch. Apparently the little wall in the legs varies slightly from leg to leg. It just barely touches on mine. It is best if the guard edges make solid contact with the inside groove on the legs.
Thanks again for the feedback. It really helps.

:)
edit.. interesting.. i'll check mine to ensure full contact as I have mine mounted inside the housing also...

plasmo said:
I have my Camera Guard installed and overall I think it is worth the investment,
- but did notice on recent flight landing that the Phantom tipped over (front face down) immediately after I stopped the rotors.
No damage was done, but I never had this happen before and was wondering if others noticed this with the guard attached.
I will keep an eye out to see if this happens any more, but just wanted to put out some constructive feedback.

Was it on pavement or in the grass?

Re: Camera Guard + CF Legs compatibility??

Hi Buddy,
I know I've asked you via PM a few times asking about pairing your CF Camera Guard with a set of improved landing struts or legs. I found out that all the P2V's after mkt "struts/legs" will fit the P2V+. I have done research on several different struts made by various "after-mkt" folks. My personal preference are a set of C.F.C. Struts that I'm sold on buying. They offer several positive features, other than they won't fit your "Guard ".
I'm sure most will agree that the combo of your guard, combined with a superior made set of struts will give that Expensive Camera & Gimbel setup as much protection as reasonably possible...
So what's the word for those P2V+ owners on any ideas or strategies???
Thanks,
Moose

Re: Camera Guard + CF Legs compatibility??

Moose said:
Hi Buddy,
I know I've asked you via PM a few times asking about pairing your CF Camera Guard with a set of improved landing struts or legs. I found out that all the P2V's after mkt "struts/legs" will fit the P2V+. I have done research on several different struts made by various "after-mkt" folks. My personal preference are a set of C.F.C. Struts that I'm sold on buying. They offer several positive features, other than they won't fit your "Guard ".
I'm sure most will agree that the combo of your guard, combined with a superior made set of struts will give that Expensive Camera & Gimbel setup as much protection as reasonably possible...
So what's the word for those P2V+ owners on any ideas or strategies???
Thanks,
Moose

Hey Moose,
I was thinking to fill the legs with epoxy.
(In any case, the vertical.)
The p2v legs are shorter ;)
(not good for the ground clearance of the camera)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 448
fastsmiles said:
plasmo said:

Was it on pavement or in the grass?

Landed on flat grass. No damage to props or bird when it tipped forward.

I have made three different versions of CF legs to make the bird more stable on grass, but I'm not happy with any of them yet. (they're unslightly- to put it gently) I'm still working on it. I may go to just a camera guard that fits the extended CF aftermarket struts for now.

That's kinda why I haven't bought it yet. I fly off of athletic fields a lot , which are kinda grassy.

If people are concerned about tipping it over, just air grab it ?....landing in grass never seems to me a good idea anyway, give me a flat surface or grab it out the air.

Just saying like.

:cool:

pyrophantom said:
If people are concerned about tipping it over, just air grab it ?....landing in grass never seems to me a good idea anyway, give me a flat surface or grab it out the air.

Just saying like.

:cool:

+1 :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl