Carbon Fiber Camera Gimbal Guard

Reaction score
Advice sought.

When you attach one of these Carbon Fiber Camera Gimbal Guards between the feet of the drone to a Phantom ‘Standard’ drone does this interfere with the drone functions in any way i.e. where the ground may lie with an object in the way? I’ve read stories about advanced drones out of control from having this fitted but assume as this has sonar pointing downwards not the same for the standard which doesn’t have this sonar feature? So should be ok?

Suppose this begs another question, how does a standard drone know where the ground is to start with so can land in auto ok RTH? Is it purely on GPS set before takeoff?

This is the guard:

Do you need one? Why doesn’t DJI give you one? Are legs that unstable?

Cheers, Geo

Suppose this begs another question, how does a standard drone know where the ground is to start with so can land in auto ok RTH? Is it purely on GPS set before takeoff?
The standard does not have VPS, so the guard should not be an issue at all. GPS has nothing to do with where the ground is. It is location only. Generally speaking in RTH, when the aircraft starts to descend, most will cancel RTH at that point and land manually. That is your best option.

Reactions: Geodude
The guard is to protect the gimbal. Nothing to do with the aircrafts landing struts.

Reactions: JoBe and Geodude
Advice sought.

When you attach one of these Carbon Fiber Camera Gimbal Guards between the feet of the drone to a Phantom ‘Standard’ drone does this interfere with the drone functions in any way i.e. where the ground may lie with an object in the way? I’ve read stories about advanced drones out of control from having this fitted but assume as this has sonar pointing downwards not the same for the standard which doesn’t have this sonar feature? So should be ok?

This is the guard:

View attachment 110128

Cheers, Geo
As @Flydawg has suggested- taking the controls (cancel out of auto land) is considered by many to be best practice.

To answer your question though- your pretty much on the money. The phantom 3S uses the stored altitude determined by the barometer prior to launch as the reference for landing. If you watch it auto land it slows considerably during the last several feet close to touch down.

Geodude, I bought the same one you've pictured for my P3 standard but it didn't fit.
Nearly all the sellers say it does fit the standard but the camera slightly scrapes against it when the gimbal does its "dance" and also when you move the camera to look straight down you can see the guard in the picture.
I tried to fit it all different ways but I had the same issues.
The guard you need to look for is one that has 3 slots on each side - the one with only 2 slots fits the advanced and professional.
The standard will use the middle slot

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightwolf
Gimble guard good idea but won't save much in a mishap,,I think they also upset the coming down of drone so need to come in like a plane instead of straight down,gets bit of a wobble,,just my thoughts on this but each to there own

The guard should not ever come in contact with the camera if its the correct guard and properly installed. And as @Fly Dawg said, the P3S has no downward VPS so there's no worries there either.

It was a few years back, but most all agreed that you had to do a little trimming. I had to flip mine around and trim the back edge a little. Flipping it over kept it from hitting the camera.

And tieing the wimpy little landing gear legs together By way of the "carbon Fiber Gimbal protector"..... makes them much stronger and In No way will it causes a wobble when dropping Straight down...Thats from the turbulence of the four spinning props (prop wash). and that wobble (flutter) has been discussed before here on PP.

I bought a similar item but found it rather annoying whenever I tilted down it appeared in the shot. I would not recommend buying anything which attached between the landing skids.

Geodude, I bought the same one you've pictured for my P3 standard but it didn't fit.
Nearly all the sellers say it does fit the standard but the camera slightly scrapes against it when the gimbal does its "dance" and also when you move the camera to look straight down you can see the guard in the picture.
I tried to fit it all different ways but I had the same issues.
The guard you need to look for is one that has 3 slots on each side - the one with only 2 slots fits the advanced and professional.
The standard will use the middle slot
Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Have one on my P3P - for years. No problems. Never got one for the P4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.