Calling all Airports!!!

D

Deleted member 109724

Hello everyone! I live in a small town in the Willamette valley of Oregon, and I have a job to shoot a real estate drone video with my Phantom 3. Trouble is, this house is in the center of town, within 5 miles of 3 different airports! Two are privately owned, and one is owned by the city, but they are very small and none of them have towers. I called the one owned by the city, and they directed me to the public works, who in turn directed me to the airport, and then a guy at the airport wanted to send me back to the public works, so i stopped him and asked him who i needed to call. He said he wasn't authorized, and that i should be fine to fly. I didnt trust him, so i asked him who i should talk to that was authorized. He got mad and hung up! I wasn't rude, i simply am trying to find out who to talk to. Do I need to call small-town non towered airports and tell them where I am flying?

As a Part 107 operator you should know that the "5 mile call" rule is for HOBBYIST. Since you're Part 107 you fly according to the AIRSPACE of the area you're flying in.

Now if you're close to an airstrip it's a good idea to make contact with EACH ONE and establish some agreed upon protocol to let them know when you're going to be flying "local" to them. This could be a simple Text, Fax, Email etc. but it should be something that both parties agree to.

Reactions: N42742
Looks like my thread got moved to rules & regs, sorry I'm new to this site, trying to get used to it.

Reactions: BigAl07
As a Part 107 operator you should know that the "5 mile call" rule is for HOBBYIST. Since you're Part 107 you fly according to the AIRSPACE of the area you're flying in.

Now if you're close to an airstrip it's a good idea to make contact with EACH ONE and establish some agreed upon protocol to let them know when you're going to be flying "local" to them. This could be a simple Text, Fax, Email etc. but it should be something that both parties agree to.
That's right, I vaguely remember something like that in the Remote Pilot sUAS Study Guide. They don't describe things very well in that study guide in my opinion, I wanted to verify with highly experienced personnel like yourself just to be safe:)

Reactions: BigAl07
Looks like my thread got moved to rules & regs, sorry I'm new to this site, trying to get used to it.

No problem. We are all learning as we go. We just try to keep things neat and tidy when we can.

No problem. We are all learning as we go. We just try to keep things neat and tidy when we can.
Thank you so much, but to verify, I don't want to break any laws ever!!! As a 107 op, do I need to call the airport every time I have a job? If so what info do I need to give them?

Thank you so much, but to verify, I don't want to break any laws ever!!! As a 107 op, do I need to call the airport every time I have a job? If so what info do I need to give them?
Just about everywhere in my town is within 5 miles of an airport, there are 47 airports in my area!

My suggestion to make contct is just out of an abundance of caution and simply how our company does it when possible. Some strips don't want to know while some want to know every detail. The initial contact is when you ask what would make them more comfortable and help increase NAS safety. This is just a courtesy but something we do.

As a Part 107 operation you determine what class Airspace you are attempting to fly in. From there you either "Fly as you wish" or your "go online and request an authorization/waiver" but it all depends on where you're going to fly and what the airspace(s) in that area are.

My suggestion to make contct is just out of an abundance of caution and simply how our company does it when possible. Some strips don't want to know while some want to know every detail. The initial contact is when you ask what would make them more comfortable and help increase NAS safety. This is just a courtesy but something we do.

As a Part 107 operation you determine what class Airspace you are attempting to fly in. From there you either "Fly as you wish" or your "go online and request an authorization/waiver" but it all depends on where you're going to fly and what the airspace(s) in that area are.
Perfect! Thanks so much. Thank you for your time. One more question though. If I work for a real estate photographer in my area doing drone work for her, I've got my remote Pilot certificate, but do I need liability insurance for my drone? Or does the real estate photographer's liability insurance cover me? I'm not a business owner yet and I have my first job coming up soon working for this photographer, I want all my ducks in a row.

Perfect! Thanks so much. Thank you for your time. One more question though. If I work for a real estate photographer in my area doing drone work for her, I've got my remote Pilot certificate, but do I need liability insurance for my drone? Or does the real estate photographer's liability insurance cover me? I'm not a business owner yet and I have my first job coming up soon working for this photographer, I want all my ducks in a row.

I don't think it's a wise decision to operate without some form of Liability Insurance. If something happens and someone decides to take you to the cleaners (and they will because you use a Drone) you stand to lose a LOT from a personal stand point.

Everyone is "Drone Scared" so an insurance company is going to find any way in the world to NOT cover you under the photographer's policy. It's a bold new industry so always err on the side of caution.

Reactions: btrussell
I don't think it's a wise decision to operate without some form of Liability Insurance. If something happens and someone decides to take you to the cleaners (and they will because you use a Drone) you stand to lose a LOT from a personal stand point.

Everyone is "Drone Scared" so an insurance company is going to find any way in the world to NOT cover you under the photographer's policy. It's a bold new industry so always err on the side of caution.
Thanks! Very good advice. How much does drone liability insurance cost from popular companies such as country financial or state farm? I want liability insurance only, I don't want hull insurance.

You'll have to contact them and let them know your details and how much coverage you require. Be sure to mention it's Commercial as it could be an exclusion and you don't want to find that out "after the fact"

What class Airspace are your located in?
My house is in class G airspace, but I'll have to look up where the job is. BTW I called around and couldn't find ANYBODY who does drone liability insurance!:mad: Any advice?o_O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic