CALL FROM THE FAA

When you don't have personnel to police drone flights you just go to youtube, facebook, and other social media or as in this case wait for a complaint.

We had one (Canada)fined $1000 for a free neighborhood real estate video done in Quebec and posted on youtube. Transport Canada fined him and said they consider any video posted to youtube a commercial venture with regards to drones.
I don't get that, if the drone operator doesn't charge then? They also said on my website it looked like I was flying my drone for money, riverbrooks.com

I'll call later in angry now the call wouldn't go good

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

I hear you. Always best to be calm when dealing with the government. By the way, I am seeing other postings of people who are being contacted, so it was probably a legit call. with a followup letter in route. It sounds to me like they are cracking down on the "Drone use for commercial" purposes thing. It'll just be a typical "Cease & Desist" notice (warning). Good luck.

I never heard the over the town thing before. Then again I never put it past a government agency to make the rules on a whim as they go along.

I hear you. Always best to be calm when dealing with the government. By the way, I am seeing other postings of people who are being contacted, so it was probably a legit call. with a followup letter in route. It sounds to me like they are cracking down on the "Drone use for commercial" purposes thing. It'll just be a typical "Cease & Desist" notice (warning). Good luck.
Thank you, it's just a notice this time. Hopefully there won't be a next time.

I don't get that, if the drone operator doesn't charge then? They also said on my website it looked like I was flying my drone for money, riverbrooks.com
My best understanding of Transport Canada(same as FAA) is that posting drone video constitutes an intent to make money simply by participating(uploading drone video) as one can make money based on number of views or traffic recorded visiting your video.

On the TV news, I saw the gent say he would fight that fine in court but never saw any results if it has even made it thru the courts yet.

I post nothing to youtube and being an American in Canada with TC pilot license, they could fine me, revoke my license and then ask me to leave their country.

My best understanding of Transport Canada(same as FAA) is that posting drone video constitutes an intent to make money simply by participating(uploading drone video) as one can make money based on number of views or traffic recorded visiting your video.

On the TV news, I saw the gent say he would fight that fine in court but never saw any results if it has even made it thru the courts yet.

I post nothing to youtube and being an American in Canada with TC pilot license, they could fine me, revoke my license and then ask me to leave their country.
Maybe don't do that then.

Check the news feed from a couple of months ago. FAA got into trouble for demanding aerial videos be removed from websites. One of those who was told he had to remove his video pointed out that the order was a violation of the First Amendment. FAA backed-off pretty fast.

facepalm.jpg

Reactions: Bigdz and Fplvert
My best understanding of Transport Canada(same as FAA) is that posting drone video constitutes an intent to make money simply by participating(uploading drone video) as one can make money based on number of views or traffic recorded visiting your video
I don't know what the situation with Canada is but contrary to popular opinion, the FAA may have an objection to the material you post on Youtube but they definitely don't see posting to Youtube as a commercial operation.
It's a common misunderstanding explained here: Operating for Free? P3S

I don't know what the situation with Canada is but contrary to popular opinion, the FAA may have an objection to the material you post on Youtube but they definitely don't see posting to Youtube as a commercial operation.
It's a common misunderstanding explained here: Operating for Free? P3S
Let me clarify... I meant that Transport Canada is the same as the FAA is in United States. I should have worded it better.

Regardless I could see how TC can or FAA could consider youtube posting commercial in their own little bureaucratic mind based on what TC said here. Posting can and does lead to monetary possibilities although I think they are circling the wagons protecting their stranglehold on commercial flight.

There needs to be a sticky on what to do when called by the FAA. I can see the OP did everything wrong. I'm not trying to cause trouble, but any commercial or ATP knows what I am taking about. I have heard the beginning of many aviation enforcement actions start exactly the same way.

The main points are: 'Placing you in the aircraft' and 'admitting to a violation' which it seems like the OP did.

The FAA wants you to operate safely and within the rules. That's all. Flying over a town without demonstrating sufficient experience, preparation and safety could be construed as being unsafe.

As for videos, if your flight is to make a video to simply share with others and not for monetary gain, that is amateur hobby use. If you fly to make a video that is commissioned or for the purpose of furthering a business, then that is commercial and should done under 333 exemption rules.

And how do you explain they got your number?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dad probably registered the drone.:rolleyes:

Reactions: dirkclod
So... the FAA watches some drone footage on Youtube, and they got the phone number how?

What am I missing here?

S
If I worked for the FAA and was looking for a YouTube Drone Owner's phone number, the first place I'd look is in the Registation Database.

They got your credit card and phone number, Sagebrush?

Reactions: 750r and dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik