Bypass new GeoFencing.

Hi need help, I use meu Phantom 4 to work and today have a work in airport and have the the msg No Fly Zone. Need help, what is possible to do to unlock this?
Is that with GEO "on" or "off"?
The NFZ may be smaller, or even gone, with GEO turned on.
Otherwise, you may need a tin hat over the top, to block GPS reception, and need to fly without GPS, and fly using VPS and ATTI only. Unlocking NFZ's through DJI can take weeks, especially during Chinese holidays. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, its true that dji has hijacked the Canadian and US airspace authorities responsibilities. I'm sure they think that it is just supporting their regulations but it undermines national sovereignty. I recently went through the whole process and found it very ambiguous and frustrating. I was finally able to fly the mission but with days of wasted efforts. The decision process of when or where to fly should be in the hands of qualified and authorized pilots not foreign companies.... or any company.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes, its true that dji has hijacked the Canadian and US airspace authorities responsibilities. I'm sure they think that it is just supporting their regulations but it undermines national sovereignty. I recently went through the whole process and found it very ambiguous and frustrating. I was finally able to fly the mission but with days of wasted efforts. The decision process of when or where to fly should be in the hands of qualified and authorized pilots not foreign companies.... or any company.

I'm not sure why you mention sovereignty or a "foreign" company. None of that applies.

Because _you_ always look over the area online where you plan on flying does not mean everyone does. GEO is a tool that allows each flyer to know when they are near an airport or some helipads. This is a bad thing? If you want to fly in that area you simply need to confirm you've obtained permission as required. GEO does not prevent _you_ from flying and it allows _thousands_ of others to know if they are near an airport.

I drive the speed limit so no one should be telling me to drive the speed limit by posting signs. Same application. Even if I know the speed limit, the sign does not hurt me, it can only help let me know and it let's other people know as well. Heck, GEO even still allows people to fly illegally. Talk about non-obtrusive.

I'm not sure why you mention sovereignty or a "foreign" company. None of that applies.

Because _you_ always look over the area online where you plan on flying does not mean everyone does. GEO is a tool that allows each flyer to know when they are near an airport or some helipads. This is a bad thing? If you want to fly in that area you simply need to confirm you've obtained permission as required. GEO does not prevent _you_ from flying and it allows _thousands_ of others to know if they are near an airport.

I drive the speed limit so no one should be telling me to drive the speed limit by posting signs. Same application. Even if I know the speed limit, the sign does not hurt me, it can only help let me know and it let's other people know as well. Heck, GEO even still allows people to fly illegally. Talk about non-obtrusive.
GEO is far from merely informational! It will prevent you from flying. Just wait until it becomes mandatory! It is also very obtrusive! The Enhanced Warning Zones will block your FPV, and force you to remove a hand from the controls to deal with checking three tiny boxes in midflight at a random unpredictable moment, every time you enter them, every day, for the rest of your flying days! These are mere warning zones! You cannot even go online and authorize them before flight, like the Restricted Zones! It is a mess of ill conceived half baked ideas implemented into a hodgepodge of a system! You cannot even turn GEO off in the air, even though you can presently turn it off completely on the ground. The Enhanced Warning Zones also do not even show up until you arm the motors, so you have to waste valuable battery life and flight time dealing with them, just when you thought all systems were a go! Why is DJI hiding them and preventing us from dealing with them before flight? Imagine being forced by your car to send a text on your cell phone to continue driving on the freeway with a blanket over the windows! That's GEO, folks! :eek::rolleyes:

Reactions: richardseguro
Hi this is a big problem to me, part of my work is in no fly zones, I work with Airport construtores, if i need to check a Light / radio tower etc, I cant do the Job

Got to agree with gadget guy. Make it a one time software switch (a log on) that you enter your license or authorization code ONCE when you turn on the machine, if you want to protect the system from idiots who think it's cool to endanger lives or break laws but don't allow just anyone to interfere..... yes interfere..... with your national sovereignty. Sovereignty isn't just border control its freedom to act according to your own laws.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: jlrsn and GadgetGuy

I had to contact dji ( a foreign company) to get "permission" to fly my P4 near an airport in Canada. I went through days of effort signed 3 forms and had to communicate in real time with the dji servers before the machine would even turn on ( and ONLY during the approved times). There are rules for flying in Canadian airspace (CARS). None of them refer to getting permission from ANY foreign source, so I call that an intrusion on Canadian sovereignty. Now I chose to use a P4 so I guess it's my fault for not checking it's restriction and their impact on Canadian rights and freedoms. . . but let's not get all "legal" about it . . it's just annoying for now but if this keeps up and establishes a mode of operations, I'm not happy with answering to a toy aircraft company ( sorry cheap shot) that I need to contact for "permission" for me to fly in my own country, when I'm already certified by Transport Canada as commercial pilot. . . That's control over another country's sovereignty.

If Canada wants to control drones by "requiring" machines sold in Canada to have GEO restrictive functions then it's still infringing on Canadian sovereignty unless Transport Canada does the authorizing.

I had to contact dji ( a foreign company) to get "permission" to fly my P4 near an airport in Canada. I went through days of effort signed 3 forms and had to communicate in real time with the dji servers before the machine would even turn on ( and ONLY during the approved times). There are rules for flying in Canadian airspace (CARS). None of them refer to getting permission from ANY foreign source, so I call that an intrusion on Canadian sovereignty. Now I chose to use a P4 so I guess it's my fault for not checking it's restriction and their impact on Canadian rights and freedoms. . . but let's not get all "legal" about it . . it's just annoying for now but if this keeps up and establishes a mode of operations, I'm not happy with answering to a toy aircraft company ( sorry cheap shot) that I need to contact for "permission" for me to fly in my own country, when I'm already certified by Transport Canada as commercial pilot. . . That's control over another country's sovereignty.

First, you are not even close with Sovereign Immunity so I'm certainly not going to get into that. You have a license to use someone else's software. Go back and read your agreement when you loaded and started to use that software.

Second... without the need to go any further.... go into settings, than GEO and simply slide that bar to the OFF position.

Problem solved. Enjoying flying.

First, you are not even close with Sovereign Immunity so I'm certainly not going to get into that. You have a license to use someone else's software. Go back and read your agreement when you loaded and started to use that software.

Second... without the need to go any further.... go into settings, than GEO and simply slide that bar to the OFF position.

Problem solved. Enjoying flying.
Unfortunately, that slider will soon be disappearing. DJI has made it very clear that GEO is temporarily optional, and will be made mandatory, once they are satisfied with it. Get your feedback in now, while you still have a voice! Their version of its implementation will be much harder to change later on!

as a company we perform aerial survey and photogrammetry. Some of our work has to do with airport infrastructure.

As other has explained, you can get DJI to unlock a restricted zone, for a given radius and a given period. There are however two problems.

You need to unblock the controller every time you want to take off, thus you need a constant internet connection. Not a huge problem but annoying

The unlock system does just work for manual flight. NOT using any intelligent mode. The big problem is, all software for photogrammetry -Altizure, Mapsmademagic, and all others- command the drone using the intelligent mode commands.
Which means that yes you can fly but no you can't work.

Reiterated contact with DJI brought as a result:
"Sorry for the inconvenience caused accordingly and your understanding is highly appreciated."

This means either buy another drone of find somebody able to hack the system, finding the file containing the coordinates of the restricted zones in the soft of the controller and edit it.

It's a pity.

I have no idea how this works.
I I'm thinking about buying the company, just in case it works.
Da Kingfish
NFZ mod LINK

nfz-p4-placement.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I can tell from DJI's documentation, these restrictions do not apply to A2/A3 controllers when flown in Atti mode. Basically, if your production needs entail frequent flights in or around no-fly zones, the Phantom (or Inspire) is not for you and you will need to consider upgrading to one of DJI's industrial platforms -- or switch to a different manufacturer, of course.

I am selling my P4 it has become useless due to all the post-sale restrictions that should have been illegal for them to do. go to hell dji.

Let's face it. DJI is a company in a communist country. Often my flights are less than 50 feet. I basically use my Phantom as a camera jib arm, and not for birds-eye-views.

I don't feel I need to contact an airport, or report to a communist country, when I am inside a building in a no-fly-zone, or only going to be capturing an object from an altitude of 10 feet. Do I need to stop using the DJI app and start using the app from the 3rd party now? Or, do I need to sign up for a fake DJI account using a gift-card type credit card that does not require a real name and that way, always click the "have permission" button? Thoughts?
Interesting that you posted this today. I just came back from an adventure where I A L M O S T left drone, remote and phone on the side of the road blinking away.
I usually just fly around my house and subdivision, but wanted to go to the country and try out a range booster reflector. I drove out 20 miles into the farm land and stopped on the side of the road and prepped to fly. After warm up the bird would not start and in DJI Go I got a "The GEO System has detected 2 nearby Authorization Zones....blah blah...

So I looked around and saw a Fire tower and blamed it on that and went about 5 miles on down the road. Next stop same message. Grrrr and nothing but tomato plantations. % more miles, now I am by my odometer, 35 miles from city limits where I set the trip odometer. This time I say Yes I want to unlock the areas and fly, type in my user name and password and DJI tells me there is no network available.
I walked around the car a couple times with the urge to just get in, fire it up and come home and hope somebody can get a couple bucks for the worthless drone they found.

I eventually literally threw all that sh** into the trunk and came home. I am becoming less than enthused about this little hobby. I was suspicious to begin with of anything that is supposed to be fun that makes almost no noise and does not have spark plugs. My initial qualms are beginning to look pretty good.

Reactions: chadrob30
Interesting that you posted this today. I just came back from an adventure where I A L M O S T left drone, remote and phone on the side of the road blinking away.
I usually just fly around my house and subdivision, but wanted to go to the country and try out a range booster reflector. I drove out 20 miles into the farm land and stopped on the side of the road and prepped to fly. After warm up the bird would not start and in DJI Go I got a "The GEO System has detected 2 nearby Authorization Zones....blah blah...

So I looked around and saw a Fire tower and blamed it on that and went about 5 miles on down the road. Next stop same message. Grrrr and nothing but tomato plantations. % more miles, now I am by my odometer, 35 miles from city limits where I set the trip odometer. This time I say Yes I want to unlock the areas and fly, type in my user name and password and DJI tells me there is no network available.
I walked around the car a couple times with the urge to just get in, fire it up and come home and hope somebody can get a couple bucks for the worthless drone they found.

I eventually literally threw all that sh** into the trunk and came home. I am becoming less than enthused about this little hobby. I was suspicious to begin with of anything that is supposed to be fun that makes almost no noise and does not have spark plugs. My initial qualms are beginning to look pretty good.
Turn GEO to Off in DJI GO. Problem solved, for now, until they make it mandatory, and remove that option.:cool:

Reactions: Rich M
Turn GEO to Off in DJI GO. Problem solved, for now, until they make it mandatory, and remove that option.:cool:
May the Lord bless you my Son. :) I could not find where to turn it off, but I was out in the sun and couldn't half see my phone. I will find it before daybreak. Thanks a gazillion. I got the impression today that it was not opional, but something was wrong.

Thanks Again.

I do find it truly bizarre that the FAA authorizes me to fly thousands of pounds of aluminum anywhere I want (within reason and regs), but DJI blocked me from flying my 10 lb sUAS in my backyard. Sure hope this doesn't become a regular restriction.View attachment 59471
Old post, but I had to respond to this.

If the FAA allowed any wet-behind-the-ears 12 year old to get behind the yoke and take those thousands of pounds of aluminum in the sky -- with absolutely no training or experience at all -- I think the rules would be a lot more restrictive. A LOT :D

I'm not saying I agree with how the rules have evolved (in fact, as a long-time RC heli pilot, I'm pretty pissed). But what can you do? We live in a society, and have to share the world. Other's priorities may not be mine, but they matter too.

So we try and work things out so everyone gets some of what they want. I can still fly my drone in many places, still have lots of fun, still shoot some amazing video. I'm far more active scolding and haranguing irresponsible pilots than I am pushing back against The Man, or picking fights with neighbors. It's the idiots that aren't respecting others' needs that are screwing this up for us.

Reactions: andy_k
I had to contact dji ( a foreign company) to get "permission" to fly my P4 near an airport in Canada. I went through days of effort signed 3 forms and had to communicate in real time with the dji servers before the machine would even turn on ( and ONLY during the approved times). There are rules for flying in Canadian airspace (CARS). None of them refer to getting permission from ANY foreign source, so I call that an intrusion on Canadian sovereignty.
Nope.

That would only be the case if China (a private entity cannot "intrude" on any nation's sovereignty) were to be demanding Canada institute particular laws regarding flying drones in Canada (no matter who makes them -- doesn't matter for an issue of sovereignty). This is not, of course, what is happening.

Instead, I'd bet my retirement savings that it is Canada making the demands here... Demanding that DJI enforce these restrictions with their technology. So if anyone is pushing anyone else around, it's Canada (and the US, and the EU, Australia, and on and on) who are pushing DJI around.

Regardless, it has nothing to do with either Canada's, or China's sovereignty.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik