Bypass new GeoFencing.

I don't know if this is the right thread to complain about something new with this GEO FENCING GARBAGE I live in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico at about 8K feet. Ever since the update I have been dealing with having to unlock my own area because we have a couple dirt air strips that have NOT been used in the decade I have been living here. I am very unhappy DJI. You don't understand rural mountainous New Mexico. What happens when some new update comes a long and I can't even fly on my own land here (about 40 acres.) I am finished venting for now.

Just turn it off. That what I did and it's the same as it was before

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just turn it off. That what I did and it's the same as it was before

Enjoy it while you still can. That option is temporary, and will eventually be disabled in a future update, according to DJI.

Ya you may be right...when that day comes I'll stop updating[emoji106]

Ya you may be right...when that day comes I'll stop updating[emoji106]

I strongly suspect they can disable the ability to turn it off without a firmware update, but we shall see. For GEO to work properly, it has to "phone home" to get TFR updates in the field, if you didn't pre-authorize, so it might just prevent arming the motors until you do, and then they could disable the ability to turn it off. It's a slippery slope, once the Trojan Horse has been installed. :eek:

Here is a quote from the email DJI sent out to all SDK Developers a week ago:

"To minimize the impact to operations of current users, GEO will be rolled out in stages across products, and initially give users the option to revert back to the old NFZ system. Users that choose to do this are encouraged to reach out to DJI at [email protected] to let us know how they’ve been affected so we can take their concerns into account when the system becomes mandatory in the future."

Anybody tried installing 2.8.3 ipa downloaded from the web. I did and even edited the metadata.plist file to reflect my Apple ID. When I run the app, it asks for the Apple ID that was used to download that app and just closes the app if you can't provide the right one.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My initial thoughts are that a GEO system with self authorization makes sense. I really don't understand people complaining about having to authorize in places with landing strips that have little to no use. It is not realistic to ask DJI to check each landing strip to know how much use it gets. On the other hand clicking a self authorize is just one click, and at least it makes us aware of dangers. We already have plenty of checks that we need to do, so one more is not the end of all.

As to privacy, get real. Nothing is private anymore. Regular airplanes have everything and anything about them tracked and logged. So we will all be tracked and logged. There will be petabytes of information. It is not like someone is interested to know about YOU, but when that something happens, that unfortunate accident, they will be able to analyze it.

Usually, when someone does not want to be logged, they are doing something they shouldn't be doing anyways.

I like the self authorization idea. The only adaptation I will need, is to create a form that somebody can sign that they authorized me, for those occurrences where I will really need authorization.

For example was flying in Whistler, and because they have helicopter rides I went and obtained authorization. It was at the end of the day and there were no more flights scheduled. But the authorization was verbal. Next time, I will have a form with me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

They would have to update the app and/or the firmware for it to change to take that option off the screen.

They would have to update the app and/or the firmware for it to change to take that option off the screen.

Yes, but they could just make it not do anything, depending upon how it works now. A door to a wall. ;)

I don't know if this is the right thread to complain about something new with this GEO FENCING GARBAGE I live in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico at about 8K feet. Ever since the update I have been dealing with having to unlock my own area because we have a couple dirt air strips that have NOT been used in the decade I have been living here. I am very unhappy DJI. You don't understand rural mountainous New Mexico. What happens when some new update comes a long and I can't even fly on my own land here (about 40 acres.) I am finished venting for now.
Would you mind indicating where this happens?

Here is a quote from the email DJI sent out to all SDK Developers a week ago:

"To minimize the impact to operations of current users, GEO will be rolled out in stages across products, and initially give users the option to revert back to the old NFZ system. Users that choose to do this are encouraged to reach out to DJI at [email protected] to let us know how they’ve been affected so we can take their concerns into account when the system becomes mandatory in the future."

Let's hope not[emoji120]

Hope isn't a plan...;) I haven't updated DJI GO for just that reason. The NFZ's don't bother me in my area, but the GEO would require repeated self authorization. I don't need the annoyance.

Dunno about anyone else.. but since these updates I've been able to fly over places that I normally shouldn't have been able to.. I'm not going to list the places but it's pretty amazing.

Dunno about anyone else.. but since these updates I've been able to fly over places that I normally shouldn't have been able to.. I'm not going to list the places but it's pretty amazing.

The GEO areas that cannot be authorized are, indeed, much smaller than the blanket NFZ's, which are overly large, but limited in quantity, while the GEO self-authorization zones are everywhere! :eek:

Last edited:
Outside restrictive airspace, I was able to fly just fine in either mode.
With GEO on, I got a little yellow warning as a result of a private airstrip about 4 miles away, but I could still take off and fly normally without any additional action. With GEO off, no warning and no problem flying.

Every time you switch modes, you have to acknowledge a prompt (screen shots attached). GEO On mentions self-authorization which presumably kicks in when you are in more restrictive airspace.

Hoping to test it in Class D in the next couple days and I'll post an update.

View attachment 59498

View attachment 59499

I live right next to small airport,within a mile.
Ok I'm testing out 2 tablets,was just in my backyard and tried ipad mini first.It warned me I was near airport but let me fly without having to do anything,and this was with geo turned on.
So I switched to the galaxy tab 4.Would not let me takeoff because i was near airport.Went into settings and turned geo off.Would not let me start.Went back into settings,geo was on! Everytime I turned it off and then went back into menu it was turned back on again no matter what I did.So I thought I'd reboot the tablet and turn geo off from the getgo.Still same problem,would not let me takeoff without signing into dji and unlocking the no fly zone.The geo would automatically be on everytime I went back into settings.Even if I just went into settings,turned it off,escaped out of settings then went back into settings and it was back on again.So I have to say WTF!? But I never had that message pop up asking me to agree or cancel when I turned geo off.

Hi there, I want to ask permission to an airport to fly and film it for an epic video I'm preparing.
I've asked if this would be possible and I was pointed to a form for such requests in the airport website. The form includes drone flights and I have to provide a plan where I wanna fly. It looks promising.

To be realistic, I think my chances to get the permission are low, but I will try to ask to fly e.g. after sunrise and before any other planes are actually taking off, so around 5:30am. So maybe I can be lucky and get a permission for a few minutes, let's see... I can provide also different variants, so e.g. a variant far away from the airtport e.g. 2km away, and one a bit closer and see if they allow me at least far if not close.

Please check this out for reference: DJI Geofence map airports are usually restricted zones (marked in red)

If I get the authorization then I guess I can scan the written document and send it to DJI via e-mail, then I assume DJI will send me a confirmation "ok we unlocked the airspace XYZ for you for 24h" and save it in their geofence database along with date/time and serial number of my drone.

1) What happens next, technically speaking? I assume that if I go close to the airport, inside a restricted zone and try to take off I get the warning, but I tap "OK" and the drone should be able to take off?
This obviously requires an internet connection to work but when exactly does the DJI Go fetch the updated geofence updates? 2) When I try to "invade" (or take-off from) the restricted area, or when I start the DJI Go app?

3) Also what if I wanna take-off outside the restricted zone, and make a flyby till the drone will be inside the restricted zone? At the beginning I assume all good, then asap the drone invades the zone some warning will appear and distract me from flying it?

4) What if I want to use Litchi instead of the DJI Go app?
Will it work or for such a case I can only use DJI Go?

I understand that not many people did fly near or over a restricted zone, but I'd be happy to get some insights from people who experienced exactly this kind of situation. So I mean receiving a written authorization, sending it to DJI and trying to fly from outside a restricted area and "invade" it, or taking off directly from inside.

Thank you for letting me know and best regards

UPDATE: I wrote to [email protected] and I received an e-mail CONFIDENTIAL so I can't even copy/paste what they wrote to me... but basically they provided me some forms I have to sign and told me what kind of details I have to send them and in which format (coordinates and radius)

Last edited:
I just went out from my driveway like I usually do and went for distance after getting it back from Dji. With geo off I noticed I got a little yellow warning in the upper left corner that said something like your in a populated area and your flight is limited or something like that. I'm almost 5 miles away from an airport but still I'm the bubble. Never noticed this before with 1.8. As I mentioned geo is off. I turned around and came home so not sure if it would have let me go much further or not. Don't know what the warning means or what is limited...

Hi need help, I use meu Phantom 4 to work and today have a work in airport and have the the msg No Fly Zone. Need help, what is possible to do to unlock this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj