Bypass new GeoFencing.

Reaction score
Let's face it. DJI is a company in a communist country. Often my flights are less than 50 feet. I basically use my Phantom as a camera jib arm, and not for birds-eye-views.

I don't feel I need to contact an airport, or report to a communist country, when I am inside a building in a no-fly-zone, or only going to be capturing an object from an altitude of 10 feet. Do I need to stop using the DJI app and start using the app from the 3rd party now? Or, do I need to sign up for a fake DJI account using a gift-card type credit card that does not require a real name and that way, always click the "have permission" button? Thoughts?

Reactions: ETC and MrTommy
just don't download it

So far, that's the plan, but I'm worried it will not fly at all, and not give me the option of "approving" the flight.

Let's face it. DJI is a company in a communist country. Often my flights are less than 50 feet. I basically use my Phantom as a camera jib arm, and not for birds-eye-views.

I don't feel I need to contact an airport, or report to a communist country, when I am inside a building in a no-fly-zone, or only going to be capturing an object from an altitude of 10 feet. Do I need to stop using the DJI app and start using the app from the 3rd party now? Or, do I need to sign up for a fake DJI account using a gift-card type credit card that does not require a real name and that way, always click the "have permission" button? Thoughts?

how is geo different, i thought this was actually more of the opposite. gives the option to fly in NFZs that were restricted in the past? or did i misunderstand?

Reactions: Lonewolf
how is geo different, i thought this was actually more of the opposite. gives the option to fly in NFZs that were restricted in the past? or did i misunderstand?
Agreeing to fly now, a log is kept of my flight. That's a ridiculous invasion of privacy when I need to fly indoors, but have a GPS signal, and still need to "report to big brother" that I have permission.

You did not understand. The OP is just clueless. The OP thinks somehow China regulates US airspace and not the FAA... as the FAA created these NFZ. The OP also does not understand that GEO DOES allow less restrictions.

A person dies not need to report to an airport when they are flying inside. They will need to unlock the area if they within 5 miles so they can fly. The OP also does not realize either a credit card OR phone number is needed. Go ahead and lie about your name if you like. Truth is, almost no one will run into situations where this will be limiting and it will almost always allow flights in controlled areas. The alternative to this unobtrusive requirement is.... wait for it... more strict regulation.

Also you can turn off the geo in settings in the dji app
5030686b886e6d86cca4818c4eb76620.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You did not understand. The OP is just clueless. The OP thinks somehow China regulates US airspace and not the FAA... as the FAA created these NFZ. The OP also does not understand that GEO DOES allow less restrictions.

A person dies not need to report to an airport when they are flying inside. They will need to unlock the area if they within 5 miles so they can fly. The OP also does not realize either a credit card OR phone number is needed. Go ahead and lie about your name if you like. Truth is, almost no one will run into situations where this will be limiting and it will almost always allow flights in controlled areas. The alternative to this unobtrusive requirement is.... wait for it... more strict regulation.

To me, he sounds more like an antistatist on his soapbox.

Also you can turn off the geo in settings in the dji app
5030686b886e6d86cca4818c4eb76620.jpg

Is this new? Must go check!

Edit: hmmmm. I have 2.8.4 on iOS and I do not have that option.

2.8.4 is the latest update. Must have to do the bird and tx too to see it..

This kind of stuff is exactly what I'm worried about and I think it's only going to get worse with restrictions in the firmware. I'm still on 2.8.3 and one behind on my bird and tx as well. Gonna leave them alone...

Reactions: MrTommy and flpholt
It seems that this GEO gives us the ability to override a lot of the programed no fly zones. Under the old system, you couldn't. But, according to DJI (on the info page at: DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly ).. you have to be "verified" to do this.

"Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile
phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service.
Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.".

It looks like they might be trying to avoid any civil liability. If anything happens in a no fly zone, they can just point to the operator who defeated the protection built in to the drone.

May I ask, how to know the country's that included for know ?
And if Oman is included

Who cares if anyone knows where you fly anyway? Do you not ever sync your flight logs? Do you extract and delete the EXIF data out of all the pictures you ever take? Paranoid much?

Plus like everyone else said, the GEO feature actually allows you to fly in more places than before.

Reactions: sar104

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers