Brightness, visibility, hoods

Reaction score
One of my recurring irritations is flying on a bright day and not being able to read the screen on my smartphone. I have a Samsung Note 4, flying a P3P, with a stock sun hood.

What are some of the "tips and tricks" you use for screen visibility? I saw a military drone operator on a TV special who used a hood that extended about 18 inches between his face and the screen he was using. I am tempted to build my own extended hood if I can't find anything better . . . any ideas welcome!

What are some of the "tips and tricks" you use for screen visibility?
Fly in the shade. Nothing beats it.

I saw a military drone operator on a TV special who used a hood that extended about 18 inches between his face and the screen he was using.
It sounds like you're talking about something like the Hoodman. You can find some other sun shades/hoods here.

Hoods/shades are one of the more common accessories that RC pilots purchase. There are many threads discussing different brands and models, with recommendations, arguments, all the usual.

Just search the forum... you'll find plenty to answer all your questions.

One of my recurring irritations is flying on a bright day and not being able to read the screen on my smartphone. I have a Samsung Note 4, flying a P3P, with a stock sun hood.

What are some of the "tips and tricks" you use for screen visibility? I saw a military drone operator on a TV special who used a hood that extended about 18 inches between his face and the screen he was using. I am tempted to build my own extended hood if I can't find anything better . . . any ideas welcome!

On the Note 4 you should set the brightness to auto if you are going to be in the sun, it has an overdrive mode that way that is pretty bright. When I had mine it was plenty bright that way.

I custom-made my own for my P4. Lightweight but ridged cardboard core>piece of .040 aluminum bonded to back to receive iPad Mini 2 and still fit RC tablet clamp)> cut openings to fit lightning cable, etc. and for tablet clamp to work to hold everything secure>after I was happy with size and angles I used hot glue and covered total inside with craft felt to soften/absorb light (left large [6" x 6"] opening in bottom to pass lanyard through and see RC on/off and RTH buttons)>covered outside with rustic-looking light canvas, again hot glue>voila I'm happy with it. The total unit feels a little heavy than without it but not bad; lanyard compensates. I can still see reflection of my handsome mug on the screen (can't get away from that), but that's it. Guess I should have included progressive photos but they're still in my camera. Maybe sometime later.

I usually look for some natural shade like trees but I also got 1 of those
Very comfortable even got a stubbi holder
ca95c9361edc71f74630568fc594d801.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Loz and Bckmstr
If you look at sky pixel.com there's a guy called 杨一尘 YiChe. He throws a coat on top of his head and over the drone screen. Looks weird but guess it's cheap :p

If you look at sky pixel.com there's a guy called 杨一尘 YiChe. He throws a coat on top of his head and over the drone screen. Looks weird but guess it's cheap :p

Exactly... remember the guys who used to shoot FILM with view cameras? They used a focusing cloth over their heads and the camera itself to block out glare. (I know I'm dating myself, but I used to use one!)
zeldon50

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

They weren't required to keep line of sight... :D

um at the risk of being a pedantic pr*&^% 42Frank actually they were. Oh dear some of us are REALLY showing our age now. I'll just get my walking frame and toddle off into the distance...:oops:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.