Brand new Pro - what do I do now?

Reaction score
Ok, my pro arrived yesterday. I went through everything like a dose of salts, reading the quick start guide, charging the batteries and remote controller, downloading the "DJI Go" app, and when I was satisfied that turning it on wouldn't be enough to give me a connery, I fired up the controller and pro, started the DJI Go app, connected my phone to the controller with the usb cable and... well nothing, really. I can move the camera about, left & right, up & down, but apart from that there is nothing. I cant even figure out how to turn on the prop motors.

Oh yeah, the DJI Go app is displaying "Remote controller signal is weak" as well. Even when the two are sitting next to each other. And selecting any channel apart from 13 results in failure. Apart from the basic instructions on how to power up the drone and controller, the app is woefully devoid of any explanation of what its functions are, which need to be set for the first time using etc.

Can anyone recommend a good "Phantom 3 for Dummies" manual or site to help me out with all this? Its not rocket science, I know, but I'm eager to really get to grips with my new baby, first of all indoors, then moving on to the wide open spaces of Ireland as soon as possible. I've a 2 day trip to County Donegal in mid-November that I particularly wanted to be ready for.

Ok, my pro arrived yesterday. I went through everything like a dose of salts, reading the quick start guide, charging the batteries and remote controller, downloading the "DJI Go" app, and when I was satisfied that turning it on wouldn't be enough to give me a connery, I fired up the controller and pro, started the DJI Go app, connected my phone to the controller with the usb cable and... well nothing, really. I can move the camera about, left & right, up & down, but apart from that there is nothing. I cant even figure out how to turn on the prop motors.

Oh yeah, the DJI Go app is displaying "Remote controller signal is weak" as well. Even when the two are sitting next to each other. And selecting any channel apart from 13 results in failure. Apart from the basic instructions on how to power up the drone and controller, the app is woefully devoid of any explanation of what its functions are, which need to be set for the first time using etc.

Can anyone recommend a good "Phantom 3 for Dummies" manual or site to help me out with all this? Its not rocket science, I know, but I'm eager to really get to grips with my new baby, first of all indoors, then moving on to the wide open spaces of Ireland as soon as possible. I've a 2 day trip to County Donegal in mid-November that I particularly wanted to be ready for.
1. Go to the DJI Website and chose Phantom 3 Professional or go on You Tube - there is a plentiful amount their - good luck.

IMO you should read the manual from top to bottom slowly and carefully at least twice before your first flight. The manual can be found online at dji.com.

You didn't mention registering the drone with DJI. Do that through the app, the motors won't turn on until you do.

As suggested above, your first move should be to download and read the manual from this page Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI.

Flying indoors is not a good idea until you've had some practice in an open space outside.....recipe for disaster!

You need to create an account and register your Phantom in the GO app before you'll be able to start the motors.

Edit..People with faster fingers than me have covered these points above!

Ok, my pro arrived yesterday. I went through everything like a dose of salts, reading the quick start guide....
The quick start guide has only a small amount of the info you need to take in.
As mentioned get the manual and go over it a couple of times.
Check the DJI website for tutorial videos too.

The P3 is much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
But for learning, the critical thing is to practise in a large clear open area, well away from trees and buildings.
Flying close to obstacles is by far, the largest killer of Phantoms.
Obstacles are the number one enemy of quadcopters.

Reactions: alokbhargava
MichaelMcG, check out PhantomHelp.com too. I have a lot of helpful tips there.

Thanks for all the pointers guys. There is stuff here that I wasn't aware of and wouldn't even have thought to look for.

It was just the "hovering 3ft from the ground" option I was referring to. Not chasing the cat and dog all around the house :confused:
That's all well and good until, for some reason unknown to your good self, the drone takes on a mind of its own and flies way into the ceiling/pot plant/cat/dog/whatever.... :) It's happened before....

Reactions: JoBe
As above practice out doors , hoovering to 3 feet Then up to maybe 20 feet and then practice your forward flight then the right turn,then the right turn back then left turn toward home then land.Then go to the left turns, Hopeing you don't rotate the position of the Quadcopter. Be sure to keep it into the line of sight, if not at least you can walk out to it and check the direction the camera is positioning, Then walk it back to you starting point

Last edited:
And don't forget to link the controller to the drone.. But I think the DJI go app mentions that when you first start up. Been so long ago I can't remember

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20