Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

Reaction score
I love my homemade dipoles, but I always have to tinker. I put antennas from a Professional/Advanced on to my Standard. It is VERY cold and windy out today.... so I only took it to 4000 feet and back. Then hovered overhead and took some great sunset pics. Video signal was excellent. I'll get a true distance test when it warms up a bit. This was more of a let's see if it even works test. Also, I left my other mod (dipoles) in place for now, just not hooked up. I don't want to undo all of that and then have to put it back.

I did them opposite the 5.8ghz...

EDIT : (9/27/2017) THIS IS ONLY FOR THE 2.4ghz SIGNAL. The 2.4ghz signal is your video feed. This does NOT replace your 5.8ghz antennas. The 5.8Ghz signal is for your control. Hope this clears up some confusion.

See post #7 on how to install. You DO NOT and SHOULD NOT need to take the lid off of the bird.

Front/Left

20170303_182058 (1).jpg

And Right/Rear

20170303_182049.jpg

Yes, I'll grab some white zip ties, so that it blends in a little more. LOL

Last edited:
will the advanced landing skids fit? Then they would mount without the ties.
Looks like they have screw mounting holes already for mounting to skid without the ties.

will the advanced landing skids fit? Then they would mount without the ties.
Looks like they have screw mounting holes already for mounting to skid without the ties.

I think they will fit. If I do a long range test.... (when it gets a little warmer outside) and this ends up working better than my dipole mod, I will buy a set of the Pro skids and see.

Hahaha. It's getting to the point where I should have just bought the dang Pro to begin with. This is fun though.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I love my homemade dipoles, but I always have to tinker. I put antennas from a Professional/Advanced on to my Standard. It is VERY cold and windy out today.... so I only took it to 4000 feet and back. Then hovered overhead and took some great sunset pics. Video signal was excellent. I'll get a true distance test when it warms up a bit. This was more of a let's see if it even works test. Also, I left my other mod (dipoles) in place for now, just not hooked up. I don't want to undo all of that and then have to put it back.

I did them opposite the 5.8ghz...

Front/Left

View attachment 77613

And Right/Rear

View attachment 77614

Yes, I'll grab some white zip ties, so that it blends in a little more. LOL
You have a link for those, looks clean.

Has anyone posted a step by step on getting to the antenna connections? I've held off on the dipoles since I don't want to have any signs of modding the AC. Will these antennas install with no mods to the bird?

Has anyone posted a step by step on getting to the antenna connections? I've held off on the dipoles since I don't want to have any signs of modding the AC. Will these antennas install with no mods to the bird?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: concomcad
Thanks for the reply. Forgot the other P3's use 2.4 GHz exclusively. Not really wanting to open up the gimbal again unless for repair. I've read somewhere that those connections on the board have a limit on how many times they can hold.

Reactions: Matts175
Ordered this from Amazon last night and they shipped this morning. Hope it's the right item. But for less than $6 shipped worth the shot.

98603bd11cf2a4c83f3340d788733170.jpg

Reactions: chazzm
Ordered this from Amazon last night and they shipped this morning. Hope it's the right item. But for less than $6 shipped worth the shot.

Those are the ones. You'll like this mod. Even at 2 miles out, I still had 4 bars of video signal. Best of all, it's cheap and completely reversible if you don't like it.

Reactions: 大疆粉丝
Those are the ones. You'll like this mod. Even at 2 miles out, I still had 4 bars of video signal. Best of all, it's cheap and completely reversible if you don't like it.
Were they as good as the dipoles?

That seems like a very nice mod. Have you looked into using the P3P landing gear, as others mentioned? That would make for a very clean installation...

Are the P3P omni versus directional like the ceramics?

They are omni. I tore one apart to see what made them tick. Looking at comparisons through Google, I determined that they were 2.5dbi "folded dipoles".

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic