Best Phantom for Mapping and Surveying?

Reaction score
Which phantom 3 is the most practical or best for aerial mapping and surveying? Since the 12mp camera is the same across all p3 models for photos would it be ok to go with the standard?

I wonder if anyone is using high resolution video screenshots 4K for mapping purposes? Or are photos the way to go?

Maybe the advanced gives you a little better distance and light bridge?

Thanks for any pros and cons you can give.

Will

Phantom 3 Advanced or Pro is by far the best bang for your buck.

Reactions: Grasstec Geomatics
Thanks BigAl07.

Yeah it looks like the P3 Advanced is the best one for my intended application. Just saw that the standard only recieves GPS satellites whereas the Adv and Pro are GPS and GLONASS enabled.
Plus the camera on the Adv and Pro has a few more megapixels. 12.4 vs 12

Thanks BigAl07.

Yeah it looks like the P3 Advanced is the best one for my intended application. Just saw that the standard only recieves GPS satellites whereas the Adv and Pro are GPS and GLONASS enabled.
LightBridge alone is worth the admission price IMHO. It can be a game changer unless 1000' away from you is enough.

Phantom 3 Advanced or Pro is by far the best bang for your buck.

Agree, they use a P3P for surveying and mapping at the mine where I work after having forked out 2 x $60000 fixed wing drones to find out that the Phantom with matching software produced a better and more detailed report.

Reactions: r62ewa
Agree, they use a P3P for surveying and mapping at the mine where I work after having forked out 2 x $60000 fixed wing drones to find out that the Phantom with matching software produced a better and more detailed report.

I have a friend who was using the Phantom 4 and when he started working at a university where they had a $60000 fixed wing he convinced them to just use the Phantom 4 as it was producing just as good or better results.

@tevek, what software package are they using to process the images at your mine site, and are you collecting and using GCPs?

Reactions: Grasstec Geomatics
I have a friend who was using the Phantom 4 and when he started working at a university where they had a $60000 fixed wing he convinced them to just use the Phantom 4 as it was producing just as good or better results.

@tevek, what software package are they using to process the images at your mine site, and are you collecting and using GCPs?

Hi r62, with respect to the fixed wing drone being used on site, the drone is using Real Imaging software to capture the data and the final editing done through Trimble Business Centre. As for the Phantom 4, the trials begin in October and the training package will include editing etc for presentation to survey. The results that I have seen from footage taken in Australia suggest some sort of 3D software due to the detail and clarity of the final footage. Sorry if that answer is a little bit vague as my involvement will (apparently) be flying the P4 down blind shafts and handing the SD card over to someone who knows what they are doing.

DroneDeploy seems to work very well even with the P3Std hardware (that is, the a/c and r/c). Photos are geotagged and with reasonable ground-truth your camera resolution shouldn't matter too much. DD plans can be a little pricey, though, depending on your needs. DroneDeploy: Powerful cloud-based drone software.

Anyone have experience with the DJI Ground Station setup?

Tnx.

Thanks BigAl07.

Adv/pro uses the Sony EXMOR camera sensor. The std doesn´t.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20