Best ND filters for P4P

Just got my P4P yesterday but still haven't flown. Can anyone recommend ND filters that are variable while I wait for the rain clouds to pass?

I apologize if this question is already settled but Amazon already sells about 3-4 different kinds of Polar Pro and I don't have the time to research.

There is also vario NDs, that you can stop down the light in stepless adjustments... Convenient in conditions where you need to change the filtering during recording, maybe not while flying a drone, but it also saves space and the need for 6 different filters. Just make sure it has good optical quality.

Variable NDs are typically heavy and don't offer the same quality as a fixed ND. There are no variable NDs available for the P4P that I'm aware of. And if there are, I would still strongly recommend fixed ones.

Variable NDs are typically heavy and don't offer the same quality as a fixed ND. There are no variable NDs available for the P4P that I'm aware of. And if there are, I would still strongly recommend fixed ones.

Well, it all depends on the quality. Its perfect for video, as you can adjust the expose to the exact preferred shooting settings, iso, aperture and shutter.
Again, i dont how the quality of these are, but would be fun to try. Doubt you will see much quality degrading using it with this camera, compared to fixed NDs
Phantom 4 PRO L Series Variable Lens Filters (Circular Polarizer & Neu

Well it looks like my fun won't even begin. One of the arms already has shell cracks on my P4P. Its been a pretty sucky day all around but this is the icing on the cake.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 488
Reactions: gr8pics
How did that happen?
I don't know. I received it on Tuesday but couldn't fly until right before sunset this evening (2 minute flight). I inspected the drone upon receiving it so clearly there is still shell cracking issues as I only flew 20 feet high and about 200 foot radius. Its a shame.

I don't know. I received it on Tuesday but couldn't fly until right before sunset this evening (2 minute flight). I inspected the drone upon receiving it so clearly there is still shell cracking issues as I only flew 20 feet high and about 200 foot radius. Its a shame.
Wow! That totally sucks man!

But they are not good on cameras that meter through the lens such as DSLR's and our Phantom cameras tbo. Has something to do with the mirrors in the glass and the light not screwing with the autofocus systems. And I have never really had a use for a polarizer on a drone at all. Too much farting with the angles and adjusting back and forth for diff flying angles. I have seen I think that they are making variable filters that I guess you can change the amount of ND in one filter. I don't think Polar Pro has these though. But I would be very weary of the quality of the glass in one of these unless they are super high end filters. Would want to hear from someone on these before I would try one though.

My understanding is that CP filters do affect the phase detect autofocus systems in traditional SLRs but mirrorless cameras, which almost always use contrast detect AF, are not affected.

My opinion is that since a huge portion of the market had to go away from linear pol filters, the glass manufactures just figured it was best and less confusing to move over to CP basically entirely. Incidentally, I have picked up a few very high quality old stock LP filters for use on my mirrorless cameras at quite a bargain and never had a problem.

I've also read some claims that metering systems in SLR cameras can also be affected by LP filters, but I am not convinced. Cameras have been metering for a long time off the lens in the mirror box and never had an issue. I think this is a result of confusion about the real problem with phase detect AF, but I could be wrong. Still it wouldn't be a problem with mirrorless and compact cameras.

Probably more than anyone was interested in!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
So I am curious... Ordered the vivid series for my P4P which just shipped and now wondering if I should have ordered the regular ND or even the DJI ND. Those videos weren't encouraging. Guess I can always return if unhappy with the results.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

So I am curious... Ordered the vivid series for my P4P which just shipped and now wondering if I should have ordered the regular ND or even the DJI ND. Those videos weren't encouraging. Guess I can always return if unhappy with the results.

I am generally skeptical of polarizing filters for drones. There are some technical reasons I could get into, but I have to admit to never personally using them in on drones. I'll check out the videos.

I've just been through this process, initially I had ordered the Polar Pro Cinema series but on doing some research, they are ND + CPL (they may be marketed as PL but from my research, they have the circular adjustment ring and must be adjusted correctly depending on the sun). I ended up getting the DJI ones. Have 4, 8 7 16. Weather has been crap lately so haven't managed to get out to test yet. I primarily want them to get shutter rate at 2 x frame rate.

Some interesting stuff here
and here

admittedly it is for the P4 but I'm pretty sure the P4P are the same glass fro Polar Pro.
Can't agree with you more on a polarizer on these tiny lenses man. I will say that some of your banding is coming from the D-Log setting you used. In a solid tone sky like that Raptorman on here did a new test with the new D-Log update and he is getting a decent amount of banding in a solid blue sky as well. D-Log is not the best with these 8 bit sensors basically is what he is saying. Sure appreciate the test Hendo!

I am generally skeptical of polarizing filters for drones. There are some technical reasons I could get into, but I have to admit to never personally using them in on drones. I'll check out the videos.

Thanks...guess I'll play around with them some and see if I like them...I've really only ever done still photography wherein CPL can be very useful.

I guess if they don't work out will the better option for ND be the DJI ones or the PolarPro? Do the straight ND PolarPro exhibit the same color strangeness exhibited by the ND/PL in the video?

Thanks...guess I'll play around with them some and see if I like them...I've really only ever done still photography wherein CPL can be very useful.

I guess if they don't work out will the better option for ND be the DJI ones or the PolarPro? Do the straight ND PolarPro exhibit the same color strangeness exhibited by the ND/PL in the video?

The reg Polar Pro ND filters I had for my P4 were awesome and did not show any of the problems as in the video.

I just found out that I should be getting my Shutter Collection Sent out by Monday! Appreciate the email response from Polar Pro! Great product!

Hi msinger;

You've helped me so much in the past, I thought I'd ask you this question. The selection of ND filters confuses me to no end but I did have a set on my Phantom 3 Pro that would turn once installed. I found that if I put the lettering on the right side of the camera, the video would come out properly exposed.

Here's a set I can get from Amazon.ca here in Canada and was wondering if you think they would be alright for my Phantom 4 Pro.

PolarPro DJI Phantom 4 Pro Cinema Series Filter 3-Pack-Vivid Collection

https://www.amazon.ca/PolarPro-Phan...+Cinema+Series+Filter+3-Pack-Vivid+Collection

Thanks for any help sir,

Bud

Here are the ND filter sets PolarPro is offering for the P4P:
Here's a guide showing when each ND filter is generally used:

View attachment 73846

The polarpro's rotate. Set the polarization before you fly and its good.

Line should be:
Set the polarization before you fly and its good PROVIDING YOU FLY EXACTLY IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND DON'T ALTER YOUR ANGLE TOWARDS THE SUN.
To pan your camera and watch the sky colour drastically change is not ideal. If you are taking stills then not quite so bad. I really don't think polarzing filters are suited to drones in majority of situations.

Reactions: AIRSPACE

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT