How to best clean ND filters

Reaction score
I’ve just purchased a set of Polar Pro professional ND filters and PL filters.

How do i clean them the best way and with what?
I’m thinking if they have some kind of coating which can be ruined by cleaning them the wrong way or with the wrong tools?
Or if they easily gets scratched when cleaning them the wrong way?

I have asked Polar Pro but haven’t got an answer.

A lens pen (like this one) works well for cleaning dust and fingerprints from filters.

615NoCsb85L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I also use a similar product by NIKON It appears to be the same as what @msinger posted above, just rebranded by Nikon

You need to be careful and not press on the outside surface of the filter. You can end up breaking the adhesive and pushing it out if the frame. Happened to me on the stock UV filter on my P4P and wouldn’t even try to glue it. I had to buy an aftermarket replacement.

Thanks for your answers. I was looking to buy the white Lenspen pictured above, it apparently contains “invisible carbon particles”?

But i bought another one which it doesn’t say anything about it containing carbon. So i assume it does not contain any?

Does it work just as good with a lens pen without carbon particles?
I guess the only function for the carbon is to “suck up” fat from finger prints etc.?

Okay so then it’s okay to clean ND filters with a lens pen or a micro fiber cloth without any risk?

I’m glad I watched this video as I learned something very valuable. I’ve been doing it both circularly and side to side. I’ll only clean circularly from now on. I’ve also never used distilled water only whatever is in the spray bottle (lens cleaning kit) that came in my P4P bundle that I ordered from Msinger’s links. It’s prolly distilled water lol. Great vid only it was 8 minutes plus and could have been half that.

He is very chatty with an attitude but I do find that he knows his stuff. I upgraded to a D500 on his recommendation and couldn’t be happier.

Okay so then it’s okay to clean ND filters with a lens pen or a micro fiber cloth without any risk?

My opinion, the pens are great but once the lens gets stained another tool is required.

Fingerprint one or use windedx and try to remove the stain...

Then try the other method.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl