Best ND filters for P4P

Reaction score
Just got my P4P yesterday but still haven't flown. Can anyone recommend ND filters that are variable while I wait for the rain clouds to pass?

I apologize if this question is already settled but Amazon already sells about 3-4 different kinds of Polar Pro and I don't have the time to research.

Here are the ND filter sets PolarPro is offering for the P4P:
Here's a guide showing when each ND filter is generally used:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Last edited:
By variable, do you mean a gradated filter on half of it so it will darken skies and not the lower half of your shot? Those would be fun to play with at certain times of day ect. I loved the Polar Pro Cinema Collection of filters that I had for my reg P4. Very good set of filters that I used all last year. I am now waiting on a Cinema Shutter Collection for my P4P that hopefully will be here in a week or so. Polarizing filters would be good if you always flying mostly the same angle to the sun but would be a hassle if you were constantly changing your angles because the shine off of things would be changing all the time. However, if you were shooting a lot of water stuff or highly reflective objects a polarizer might be good. I use mine because the coatings on the glass help with flaring. But I mainly use them to keep my shutter speed right at double my frame rate for video. But I'll be honest I don't know about variable ND filters. I know they do make them but I am a little skeptical as far as the quality of the glass coatings used possibly. Hope that helped a little.

Polarizing filters would be good if you always flying mostly the same angle to the sun but would be a hassle if you were constantly changing your angles because the shine off of things would be changing all the time.
You're referring to CPL filters and not PL filters, right?

You're referring to CPL filters and not PL filters, right?
Really either one msinger. Only time I've ever used a polarizing filter is on my DSLR's and not very often on those. But it's always been a circular one that has an adjustable ring to change the angle of light passing through the mirror in the filter and thereby changing all your reflections in your shot. But a linear one will do the same thing right? But do they need to be rotated as well? Circular ones allow auto focus systems to work better I just read as well. But I don't think I would like the changing reflections when changing angles to the sun with bird. Is that close msinger?

Reactions: jlrsn
I was under the assumption that CPL filters have to be rotated and PL filters do not. I don't use them often though -- hence my question.

I was under the assumption that CPL filters have to be rotated and PL filters do not. I don't use them often though -- hence my question.
That is correct. Circular ones have a loose ring that you rotate to get the reflections just like you want them. I have never seen a linear one tbo. But they are not good on cameras that meter through the lens such as DSLR's and our Phantom cameras tbo. Has something to do with the mirrors in the glass and the light not screwing with the autofocus systems. And I have never really had a use for a polarizer on a drone at all. Too much farting with the angles and adjusting back and forth for diff flying angles. I have seen I think that they are making variable filters that I guess you can change the amount of ND in one filter. I don't think Polar Pro has these though. But I would be very weary of the quality of the glass in one of these unless they are super high end filters. Would want to hear from someone on these before I would try one though.

I've just been through this process, initially I had ordered the Polar Pro Cinema series but on doing some research, they are ND + CPL (they may be marketed as PL but from my research, they have the circular adjustment ring and must be adjusted correctly depending on the sun). I ended up getting the DJI ones. Have 4, 8 7 16. Weather has been crap lately so haven't managed to get out to test yet. I primarily want them to get shutter rate at 2 x frame rate.

Some interesting stuff here
and here

admittedly it is for the P4 but I'm pretty sure the P4P are the same glass fro Polar Pro.

I had that same collection ordered and saw that they were all Circular Polarizing type filters too. I cancelled that order and ordered the Shutter Collection which is not that way. Not sure why they changed the Vivid Collection for the P4P to be all Circular type polarizers tbo! I sure don't want to land and adjust for each shot! LOL. I had the Vivid Collection for reg P4 and it was awesome! So I am certainly hoping the Shutter Collection is just as good! I have also have heard from a very good source the Snake River Filters are prob the best glass coatings out there. But I messaged them and never heard back at all on filters for the new P4P. So Im not sure there even making them now or ever.

Reactions: setandforget
you dont have to adjust for each shot. Just for that flight. Also the vivid have always been that way.
Wow! I stand corrected on the Vivid set. I actually did have the Shutter set for my P4 but thought I would try the Vivid set for my P4P until I saw that they were circular polarizers. If you are changing angles to the sun your reflections are def gonna change imo. They do on any other polarizer I have ever seen and used on my cameras. I understand that you could get it rotated to the max effect and it would be fine but as you turn your bird at diff angles to the sun the polarizing effect is gonna be less I'm sure. It would have to change some imo. Is that not right?

Polar Pro must think everyone flies in the blinding light of snow covered ground on cloudless sunny days. That's the only place I would think to use an ND32 and even then I'd probably still use an ND16 unless the sun is high in the sky. Meanwhile an ND4 is essential for hazy days, first light, last light and most of those winter days that are partly overcast.

P.S. A polarized lens is IMHO horrible on a drone.

Polar Pro must think everyone flies in the blinding light of snow covered ground on cloudless sunny days. That's the only place I would think to use an ND32 and even then I'd probably still use an ND16 unless the sun is high in the sky. Meanwhile an ND4 is essential for hazy days, first light, last light and most of those winter days that are partly overcast.

P.S. A polarized lens is IMHO horrible on a drone.
You are spot on imho ianwood! Agree on the higher ND filters too. 16 is my main go to for sure. Has to be pretty dang bright sky and ground to justify a 32 and especially a 64! Wth! 4,8 and 16 are really all a guy needs.

Reactions: setandforget
That has pretty much summed up what I have learned over the past week. I guess at the end of the day, the proof is in the final cut! Just need some better weather to get out and fly!!

Polarized lenses are a must if you are filming on water, even on cloudy days. I wear Costa sunglasses all the time and you can see into the water deeper without surface glare and see objects underwater that you normally wouldn't see. It's a Night and day comparison .

Polarized lenses are a must if you are filming on water, even on cloudy days. I wear Costa sunglasses all the time and you can see into the water deeper without surface glare and see objects underwater that you normally wouldn't see. It's a Night and day comparison .

I think polarized filters can be problematic if you have large sections of blue sky in your shot. However, I would agree that they can produce excellent results if shooting mostly downwards over water, especially clear tropical waters that have shallow coral reefs. In such circumstances, the polarizer will produce an image that is significantly more saturated.

Quick example, shot with a polarizing filter:
20160612--93-HDR.jpg

I think polarized filters can be problematic if you have large sections of blue sky in your shot. However, I would agree that they can produce excellent results if shooting mostly downwards over water, especially clear tropical waters that have shallow coral reefs. In such circumstances, the polarizer will produce an image that is significantly more saturated.

Quick example, shot with a polarizing filter:View attachment 73882
Nice shot man. But you can adjust all your saturation and contrast later in post. Agree that it will take some glare out of water at certain angles but I would never hang one on my lens. Just me. I want as little in front of that lens as possible tbo. Def needed for video though!

Reactions: DKG13CC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik