Best firmware with best range for P3S?

Reaction score
I couldn't find this specific answer, so hope I'm not doubling up - but have long wondered, what is the Best firmware with best range for P3S?

... logically; the latest version of everything is usually 'the best', but I have experimented with several firmware versions, in an effort to obtain greater range.

Likewise, it would be logical to assume that with every firmware update - all features would improve... but I'm not sure this is the case!?

Would be very appreciative of thorough findings and reasons why you have chosen that version (please stipulate which one you have) out of all of the available ones?

Many thanks
Steve

it would be logical to assume that with every firmware update - all features would improve... but I'm not sure this is the case!?
Not quite. Firmware updates are always optional, and unfortunately most of the time you do not get enough information as to what the updates include. Range really has nothing to do with firmware in theory, however there have been those who have noted these issues with firmware changes. What you have to keep in mind is that the Standard is Wi-Fi only, whereas most of the other Phantoms use light bridge, which significantly reduces interference and increases range. From what I have seen there is no " Logic" for updating, other than personal preference.

Not quite. Firmware updates are always optional, and unfortunately most of the time you do not get enough information as to what the updates include. Range really has nothing to do with firmware in theory, however there have been those who have noted these issues with firmware changes. What you have to keep in mind is that the Standard is Wi-Fi only, whereas most of the other Phantoms use light bridge, which significantly reduces interference and increases range. From what I have seen there is no " Logic" for updating, other than personal preference.
I only know in my findings, my RANGE increased by down-shifting the firmware version alone.
Yes, as I said elsewhere; it AMAZES me when I see Youtube videos of a P3S obtaining 9 - 10km (5.5 to 6 miles!) Just by simply changing antennas!! - I have to suspect they also changed drones! LOL

I only know in my findings, my RANGE increased by down-shifting the firmware version alone.
Yes, as I said elsewhere; it AMAZES me when I see Youtube videos of a P3S obtaining 9 - 10km (5.5 to 6 miles!) Just by simply changing antennas!! - I have to suspect they also changed drones! LOL

Hello!

Sorry to Necropost, but I was wondering if you could tell me which FW you downgraded to? After updating everything to 1.9.20 I'm having tremendous range issues (down to less than 100m on my P3S). Already tried refreshing the FW, re-syncing controller frequencies... I'm flying in a wide-open space, same as always.

If you could tell me which version of the FW you went back to, at least I'll have a starting point for my research. I am hoping to not have to do it multiple times trying to find the best combination.

Hello, I just found this tutorial on Youtube
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I hope is not to late for you. I was having problems with the communication betwen the app and the aircraft. When I was flying the drone, suddenly the application was disconnected, although I could still control the aircraft with the RC. In this video they say that version v1.05.7 is the best, but it´s from 2016. I don´t know if there is a better FW version than this, but when I installed it, my problems where solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessethecleric
Hello, I just found this tutorial on Youtube
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I hope is not to late for you. I was having problems with the communication betwen the app and the aircraft. When I was flying the drone, suddenly the application was disconnected, although I could still control the aircraft with the RC. In this video the say that version v1.05.7 is the best, but it´s from 2006. I don´t know if there is a better FW version than this, but when I installed it my problems where solved.

FW Version 1.06.8 drew numerous complaints from those who upgraded from 1.05.7. My 1st P3S came with 1.06.8 installed but it upgraded to 1.07.9 before I became confident enough to push it to to the limit. Frankly, I had no problem reaching 1000 meters on any day with either FW version. The only time it unexpectedly disconnected was when flying close to a populated area. ( Yeah, heavy interference from cell phones, wifi gateways, microwave ovens, etc)
Yet many claim that 1.05.7 was the better version....and getting rid of 1.06.8 was the fix.

Last edited:
Typo I think; I don't think DJI was around 12 years ago

You´re right, I meant 2016. Solving this problem yesterday drove me crazy!!!
Check back in the Forums around Aug 2017.... we went all over this.... DJI....CUT THE POWER OUTPUT OF THE TRANSMITTERS..... BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE FLYING CLOSE TO COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT.....FLYING TO HIGH AND TO FAR AWAY.....

Has Anyone Lately...... Been able to Go back to 1.05.7 ....I replaced the Main Board back in 2017 and was at 1.05.7...But this Spring a Hung up Camera, took out the Camera Board, So i replaced the Whole Camera-Gimbal ***... The Software in it was 1.9.2 ..... and IT DID NOT TAKE TO BEING DOWNGRADED .....

Check back in the Forums around Aug 2017.... we went all over this.... DJI....CUT THE POWER OUTPUT OF THE TRANSMITTERS..... BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE FLYING CLOSE TO COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT.....FLYING TO HIGH AND TO FAR AWAY.....

You sure about that ??

I have a P3S controller sitting under my bench that has Icarus installed and it hits 27 all the time from its original CE 19 ...

FW in fact does not sort range unless specific coding such as the CE limit. Otherwise its down to Controller.

You sure about that ??

I have a P3S controller sitting under my bench that has Icarus installed and it hits 27 all the time from its original CE 19 ...

FW in fact does not sort range unless specific coding such as the CE limit. Otherwise its down to Controller.
From DJI: 2017-06-29 : firmware 1.9.200
Notes
 Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RT Altitude
and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI
GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.

The Logs of the Controllers showed the drop in Db outputs, back then...

From DJI: 2017-06-29 : firmware 1.9.200
Notes
 Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RT Altitude
and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI
GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.

The Logs of the Controllers showed the drop in Db outputs, back then...

The note you quote is where updating may return controller / FC setting to default factory - ie 'beginner' settings. I noted this with some updates and I always after update went into settings and put them back to my 'user' settings. The note makes this clear in advising you to take note of GO settings before update and to reset after.
It does not say that POWER has been reduced by FW / update.

As to drop in DB ... we all know that CE vs FCC are too different powers and the CE drop is initiated by GPS location coding. ICARUS and Magic Power modify that so you can have full power of the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.