Help with unstable hover...

Reaction score
Hi, after messing around for a few years with drones around the £100 price range, I have acquired some really good experience in setting up to get the very best possible out of what are basically toys. Recently a friend sold me his p3s basically un-used and still in pristine condition. He told me this has not been flown more than 3/4 times in total which I confirmed through the flight log on his app. However once home and charged, app installed, much info read and watched on setting up and flying my p3s I set off for my first flight. No issues, flew fine until I brought it back and hovered it around head height for the obligatory selfie.... this is when I saw a really bad wobble, it held height fine but you could hear the motors struggling to hold in position.... I landed it, and decided some maintenance was obviously required. I proceeded with the following...

Props replaced and balanced, along with hubs.
Motors cleaned and bearings lubricated .
Full Firmware update.
App completely uninstalled and reinstalled.
imu set outside after 30mins at outside temp (very chilly morning).
Compass Calibrated.

A lift off to head height and still the same issue. So all the above was double checked and where I felt needed re-done. A third lift off and still the same very wobbly hover. There was no wind, motors are smooth and noise free (no grinding sounds etc) Props are dji originals and has been tried with a untouched brand new set.

Am I missing something, any ideas help would be really appreciated...

Thank you.

this is when I saw a really bad wobble,
Does this "wobble" occur in all 3 axes? Or is it more like a slight back and forth or random drift?

Does this "wobble" occur in all 3 axes? Or is it more like a slight back and forth or random drift?

Hi, A slight drift I would expect as would I any slight back and forth movement. No this is a distinct shake/wobble across the whole drone... if I had not checked the props for damage, balanced the used set, tried and checked balance on new set (which where all good with no balance issues) and checked all motors for damage, play in bearings or any kind of issues with rotation (stiff/grinding etc) I would be sure it was a bad prop/s and or motor/s... That is the effect I am getting, a very off balance prop or bad, dying motor....

That is the effect I am getting, a very off balance prop or bad, dying motor....
We will need to see the data files and mentioned by msinger above, to help diagnose the issue. Start with the device log, but we may need the aircraft dat file as well. You can start with the device log. See the link below (Instructions are on the link ) and upload your .txt log, then share a link to that back here:

Log Viewer

Huckfed : i could not agree with you any more about them low priced "TOY" drones they are a blast and can sure take the abuse ! WOW..with all that you have done to try and get a very nice stable I cant believe that its still not stable !... Oh by the way : .How did you clean and oil the motors ?

Hi, after messing around for a few years with drones around the £100 price range, I have acquired some really good experience in setting up to get the very best possible out of what are basically toys. Recently a friend sold me his p3s basically un-used and still in pristine condition. He told me this has not been flown more than 3/4 times in total which I confirmed through the flight log on his app. However once home and charged, app installed, much info read and watched on setting up and flying my p3s I set off for my first flight. No issues, flew fine until I brought it back and hovered it around head height for the obligatory selfie.... this is when I saw a really bad wobble, it held height fine but you could hear the motors struggling to hold in position.... I landed it, and decided some maintenance was obviously required. I proceeded with the following...

Full Firmware update.
Compass Calibrated.

A lift off to head height and still the same issue. So all the above was double checked and where I felt needed re-done. A third lift off and still the same very wobbly hover. There was no wind, motors are smooth and noise free (no grinding sounds etc) Props are dji originals and has been tried with a untouched brand new set.

Thank you.
Just had idea to check what the compass and imu are doing,,you can give it a imu calibration check which sposed to show any abnormal behavior (the drone not me) ,,if it required it will show ,,there will be to much fluxuating of the numbers,,gosh I hope that right but sure that's how it go

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Have a look here,,,not 100% it will work but if something not righto,,start here,,this will hopefully sort out what up without digging deep,,,it probly would not hurt to to imu calibration to corect any drunken sensors,,,,,,,and yes watch the oil...it's not required,,,if not the right oil which there is a right oil it will attract dust and grit and work like valve grinding paste,,there is a oil ,non magnetic but don't know what called,,,these bearings are sealed and if they wine or stick they are shot,,oil just 5 min fix...berring has good life span like motor but on occasion they do xxxxxx themselves like any part
Screenshot_20190228-210059.jpg
Screenshot_20190228-210114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, to answer some questions posted here.... As the P3S had been stored for a couple of months I was confident that any debris in motors would be household dust etc, so before it was started for my first flight it was held upside down and motors blown out with a compressed air can just to make sure no larger debris was likely to fowl up the motors. After I noticed the problem I wondered if a dry bearing/s could be the cause, so using Scorpion Bearing Oil and a magnifying glass one drop of oil was applied to the top bearings, spun by hand several times and left to stand for an hour'ish then again spun by hand several times. Then not wanting to strip the motors out to do the bottom bearings I very slowly and carefully drilled a 3mm hole in the center of motor screws, compressed air to clear any debris, and one drop of oil applied to each bearing, spun by hand, left for an hour'ish, spun by hand again... I then turned on P3S started motors without props and just let it spin for a couple of minutes, I already had a load of small grommets which I have fitted into drilled holes to stop dust getting in.

However, not being able to solve the problem myself the P3S has been taken to my local model shop this morning, the oiling was explained to the tech and I was told I had basically wasted my time, as explained by ianzone above the bearings are sealed, good quality and are normally reasonably reliable. Minimal maintenance would be to ensure the motors are kept debris free... After a quick check he's happy motors and bearings are fine... Props, although not perfect are balanced well enough and again he eliminated them as the cause.

I am about to go back now with my tab so he can see for himself what is happening using my exact setup....

He thinks there are three possibilities, 1, Firmware issue. 2. Settings and setup within the app. 3, A compass issue, depending on where and how it has been stored he says this could have effected the compass.

He did also say it could be an esc issue although he thinks this is unlikely and is going to check should none of the above resolve the problem....

I will let you all know, and thank you all for your help...

P.S, I was told off for drilling the holes in the middle of motor mounts, while he understood my reasons, he said a quick google on motor specs would have told me this was completely un-needed.

Last edited:
Follow the instructions in Post#4, and we may find the issue.

Ok, to answer some questions posted here.... As the P3S had been stored for a couple of months I was confident that any debris in motors would be household dust etc, so before it was started for my first flight it was held upside down and motors blown out with a compressed air can just to make sure no larger debris was likely to fowl up the motors. After I noticed the problem I wondered if a dry bearing/s could be the cause, so using Scorpion Bearing Oil and a magnifying glass one drop of oil was applied to the top bearings, spun by hand several times and left to stand for an hour'ish then again spun by hand several times. Then not wanting to strip the motors out to do the bottom bearings I very slowly and carefully drilled a 3mm hole in the center of motor screws, compressed air to clear any debris, and one drop of oil applied to each bearing, spun by hand, left for an hour'ish, spun by hand again... I then turned on P3S started motors without props and just let it spin for a couple of minutes, I already had a load of small grommets which I have fitted into drilled holes to stop dust getting in.

However, not being able to solve the problem myself the P3S has been taken to my local model shop this morning, the oiling was explained to the tech and I was told I had basically wasted my time, as explained by ianzone above the bearings are sealed, good quality and are normally reasonably reliable. Minimal maintenance would be to ensure the motors are kept debris free... After a quick check he's happy motors and bearings are fine... Props, although not perfect are balanced well enough and again he eliminated them as the cause.

I am about to go back now with my tab so he can see for himself what is happening using my exact setup....

He thinks there are three possibilities, 1, Firmware issue. 2. Settings and setup within the app. 3, A compass issue, depending on where and how it has been stored he says this could have effected the compass.

He did also say it could be an esc issue although he thinks this is unlikely and is going to check should none of the above resolve the problem....

I will let you all know, and thank you all for your help...

P.S, I was told off for drilling the holes in the middle of motor mounts, while he understood my reasons, he said a quick google on motor specs would have told me this was completely un-needed.
To eliminate app settings you can start and fly without app to see if the same,,me think app settings no matter how set would not cause unless exponental settings which involves changing input of sticks etc,,,have someone record it and share the short clip here,,might make one of us go aaahhh ,,bla bla is the cause,,or yes as @Fly Dawg metion upload to here and one of these clever chaps will read the info and convert to english (it's graphs and data that can be read with corect software) and that give better understanding what drone is doing in flight to cause this
Good luck I be watching for outcome on this
Just on the compass me not think it compass or you will have a prompt saying magnetic interference and it won't get gps which makes it go atti mode,,that's where it will drift etc,,,,,,,just add exp settings also change how drone responds but not think these have been changed

Last edited by a moderator:
1, Firmware issue. 2. Settings and setup within the app. 3, A compass issue, depending on where and how it has been stored he says this could have effected the compass.
None of these would cause the "wobble" IMO.

He did also say it could be an esc issue
This is possible, along with a motor issue. Possibly an accelerometer, or Gyro as well.

Had we been able to review the data, you would probably already know what the issue was.

Full Firmware update.
Compass Calibrated.

Thank you.
Oh, sorry. I misread it. I thought you needed help with an unstable lover... I was going to suggest running away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan