Ordered folding Props for my P3S

Reaction score
Anyone else ever try folding props on a P3 drone? I would love to hear your feedback. I searched a lot on here and on the the net but couldn't get that much info or reviews.

I have only used original DJI props on my P3S since I got it almost 2 years ago and I have read lots of threads on why original props are the best quality and agree with all the reasons, BUT fall is here and winter is on its way. During the winter the temps can regularly get below -10ºC here and often even colder. I use a backpack for my P3S and often go out on my Snowmobile or skis to fly. Last year I almost froze my fingers off a few times while trying to screw on the props and because of this was often rushing so that my fingers wouldn't get cold - a recipe for disaster!

When I get the props I'll check them out and see how the build quality is. If they look cheap I probably won't use them and when I do try them it will be in a wide open area with lots of snow (snow covered frozen lake) should they fail in flight.

I do have a Spark that has folding props but I find that the cold weather really affects the gimbal - it often doesn't pitch at all or the pitch control becomes very erratic and unreliable making it difficult to use on cold days. Aside from reduced battery time the cold temps do not affect my P3S gimbal so that is why I want to use it on cold days.

Chris

Be sure to Check the balance on the folding props.......i can only imagine....Trying to balance a prop of that type Would Be Very Hard to accomplish.....Let US all know what you do and find out....If you could Not find any info here On this site.....I'd say they are Not any Good to use !

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Be sure to Check the balance on the folding props.......i can only imagine....Trying to balance a prop of that type Would Be Very Hard to accomplish.....Let US all know what you do and find out....If you could Not find any info here On this site.....I'd say they are Not any Good to use !

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder about the balance and quality too. I’ll see what they are like when I get them. I have to find a better solution for flying in cold weather as spinning props on in sub zero weather freezes my hands off and then its hard to get them warm to fly. Have tried gloves (still get cold and much less dexterity) and hand warmers. I used to have a Nanuk hard case that I could keep props on but that only worked for locations to drive to. Won’t work while skiing or on my snowmobile.

I did see a Youtube video but it wasn’t really clear about any negative effects.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
So many stories of issues and loss of aircraft from aftermarket props of all kinds.

It’s a tuned system as shipped and changing props will certainly de-tune the system.

OH.......I see your profile that your 99 years old...That age sure could be the issue.....Poor Circulation ! ( Just kidding i Hope that your not 99 years old)

The props and battery's are TWO very important things for a * safe Flight * !

So many stories of issues and loss of aircraft from aftermarket props of all kinds.

It’s a tuned system as shipped and changing props will certainly de-tune the system.

I have read many of those stories and I agree that it is a well tuned system. When I get the props I'll see what they are like and may or may not try them. They were not expensive so I just thought I'd order them to see if they may work. If I do use them, I would only use them when I need them such as when I am out on a trail and it is cold. I never fly my drone beyond visual line of sight and likely would keep it closer with these foldable props in case they failed. Basically it boils down to not being able to fly on a cold day where some of the nicest shots can be had or flying and accepting the risk.

Launching in cold weather is difficult at any time but having to spend even more time screwing on props with my bare hands in very cold weather can be just as risky too. Last winter, I flew my P3S quite a lot in cold and even snowy weather. The cold weather was by far the most difficult to get my drone launched in, especially when out in the middle of nowhere. My hands would get cold quickly and then it would be hard to warm them up enough in time to operate the controller even with warm gloves on.

I think there would be a pretty good market for foldable props for the phantom line if some company could make reliable quality folding props (hint, hint, DJI).

OH.......I see your profile that your 99 years old...That age sure could be the issue.....Poor Circulation ! ( Just kidding i Hope that your not 99 years old)

The props and battery's are TWO very important things for a * safe Flight * !

99 Years old! If I live to be that old that would be an accomplishment. I don't think my profile states my age but I do notice there are 99 likes.

I agree - props and batteries are 2 important things for a safe flight. That being said, I have 4 batteries for my P3S and 3 are non DJI - never had a problem with them. They look and work the same as the DJI one.

Here's the ones I ordered in case anyone has tried them.

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 8.29.03 PM.png

Thats Great then...on the props....Ever flight that you make is all recorded in the drones DAT file...that file records the serial number of the battery in the Drone per flight....IF its a drone with in the years warranty and the drone has a battery related CRASH....and its sent to Dji repair for warranty work...And they search the DAT files and see it crashed because of the non Dji battery related failure then its going to be sent back !...or the repairs will all Be Paid By you.

I have rode my bike thru your beautiful province and camped 5 miles east of Kenora Ontario at a nice campground !
Thanks for the reply.........Drone On --------->

Thats Great then...on the props....Ever flight that you make is all recorded in the drones DAT file...that file records the serial number of the battery in the Drone per flight....IF its a drone with in the years warranty and the drone has a battery related CRASH....and its sent to Dji repair for warranty work...And they search the DAT files and see it crashed because of the non Dji battery related failure then its going to be sent back !...or the repairs will all Be Paid By you.

I have rode my bike thru your beautiful province and camped 5 miles east of Kenora Ontario at a nice campground !
Thanks for the reply.........Drone On --------->

I don't have worry about any warranty issue as my P3S is long out of warranty, so if I did have an issue with a non DJI battery it wouldn't matter anyway.

Yes, we are fortunate to have some beautiful areas here in Ontario especially in our Provincial Parks. Not only are there beautiful areas, but all the seasons are beautiful as well. Our fall colours are just starting now and hopefully they will peak by next weekend - Thanksgiving Weekend here in Canada.

Here's the ones I ordered in case anyone has tried them.

View attachment 103862
Wow- if they threw in adapters so you could get them on the 4 series phantom and added flashing lights they could appeal to every phantom owner....

Have a really good look at the threads in the hubs, OEM thread design helps to ensure they don’t spin off during braking. Next thing I would really pay attention to is the hinges (prop root should be bushed) and the hub material, if it’s not glass reinforced nylon I wouldn’t even bother risking a test flight.

I don’t mean to be negative but these look like a lot more show than go.

Wow- if they threw in adapters so you could get them on the 4 series phantom and added flashing lights they could appeal to every phantom owner....

Have a really good look at the threads in the hubs, OEM thread design helps to ensure they don’t spin off during braking. Next thing I would really pay attention to is the hinges (prop root should be bushed) and the hub material, if it’s not glass reinforced nylon I wouldn’t even bother risking a test flight.

I don’t mean to be negative but these look like a lot more show than go.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the things you mention. I have a feeling they won't be as good as they look and sound, but I thought I'd order them to check them out.

In the meantime, I will be looking for other solutions to launching my P3S on cold frosty days when I am out on a trail. If they look and feel really cheap, I likely won't try them.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a backpack that I can keep my props on (original DJI ones) and that doesn't cost half of what I paid for my P3S.

The folding props finally came today. Almost 2 months from China.

Here they are on my P3S:

IMG_1542325164.181084.jpg

Haven’t tried them yet and probably won’t for awhile if at all. Want to do more research first. Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised - they seem well built and solid. They screw on fine but they seem to tighten up faster. They are the same length as my DJI ones but a slightly different shape.

This past week it has been cold (-4 to -5C) and snowy and my hands have been getting cold even with gloves on since I have to remove my gloves to screw and unscrew my props. It would make a huge difference with the foldable props but I am not sure I want to try them yet. Going to wait for more snow and no wind.

Chris

For display purposes only- complete rubbish...

I wouldn’t be risking even a test flight.

Can you see any type of sleeve in the prop roots?

What are the hubs made from? If they are glass reinforced nylon is there a seperate threaded inset for mounting in the motor?

What are the main mounting pins?

Do you have any means of testing the balance?

All questions for curiousity value only. Would be foolish to take the risk flying with them.

Thanks for your comments/recommendations.

The hubs look like they are hard plastic or nylon. The threaded inset appears to be aluminum - 2 silver and 2 black.

The pins that hold the blades are metal with metal liners. Folding and unfolding feels the same as my DJI Spark props.

I don’t have a balancer to check them.

Maybe tomorrow when I am less tired I’ll take more detailed photos of them.

I really wish DJI made folding props for the Phantom drones, both P3 and P4s. Not only would it make transporting these drones easier (backpack), but it is easier and quicker to get the drone in the air especially in cold weather. When I eventually upgrade to a drone with a better camera, I will definitely go with a drone with folding props - likely a Mavic 2$$$$ Pro.

Chris

A "Slightly Different Shape" NO !......a Very very VERY different shape....No Slightly to it....they look scary to me. especially the hinges area !.....IF you fly them might be good to have a " POP "... out remote controlled parachute ready !

A "Slightly Different Shape" NO !......a Very very VERY different shape....No Slightly to it....they look scary to me. especially the hinges area !.....IF you fly them might be good to have a " POP "... out remote controlled parachute ready !

:p :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj