Being a hobbyist drone pilot actually pays

I'm pretty sure he's not in the US but you are 100% correct IF it were in the US that would fall under Civil UAS Operations requiring Part 107 or flying under a Public Use COA.
You don't need a license if it is cash under the table. He isn't hanging out a shingle or printing up business cards. I do a little batering here and there myself.

Reactions: Neon Euc
In US, isn't there a "citizen photojournalist" exception,
when hobbyist encounters newsworthy events
& doesn't get published regularly nor derives
majority of income from aerials...?

Am talking specifically about getting published
editorially in newspapers-magazines, not getting published commercially.
The kind protected by 1st Amendment Freedom of Press...

You don't need a license if it is cash under the table. He isn't hanging out a shingle or printing up business cards. I do a little batering here and there myself.

@Uncle Stumpy that is absolutely 100% INCORRECT! Either it's a hobby flight (meaning recreational), Public Use COA, or Part 107 flight. There is no grey area period. Keep in mind that it doesn't even have to pertain to $$ (barter etc) for it to require Part 107 credentials.

This doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time but lots of crimes happen all the time but just because they happen doesn't diminish they are ILLEGAL.

@Uncle Stumpy - I think you meant bartering. For battering one only need to post on these forums :)
Hah, I pushed the button before I proof read the post. I did mean bartering and your are right about the batterting!
@Uncle Stumpy that is absolutely 100% INCORRECT! Either it's a hobby flight (meaning recreational), Public Use COA, or Part 107 flight. There is no grey area period. Keep in mind that it doesn't even have to pertain to $$ (barter etc) for it to require Part 107 credentials.

This doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time but lots of crimes happen all the time but just because they happen doesn't diminish they are ILLEGAL.

Look at the world we live in Big Al. Me or somebody else making a few bucks under the table is technically illegal but is a drop in the bucket compared to, well, just about anything. And you are wrong about the grey area, EVERYTHING is a grey area. Don't tell me you pay every dime in taxes you owe and never ever go 5 miles over the speed limit. So my few bucks under the table is just fine.

I just love it when people point out other's bad behaviour, to justify their own.

Bad behaviour? Making a few bucks on the side is bad behaviour? Wow. Talk about self righteous.
How many skeletons will we find in your closet, Father Downey? Never mind, you would never admit to anything anyway. Happy flying.

Me or somebody else making a few bucks under the table is technically illegal
That pretty much sums it up. It's illegal all the way around regardless how you try to sugar coat it. I never said it was a BIG DEAL but illegal is illegal is illegal. The big difference is that you stated online
which is wrong all day long each and every day. PERIOD! If you're going to give online advice please have the common courtesy to give accurate and cited advice. If someone else wants to break the law that is their business but at least they need to know it's illegal and give them the option of making that decision for themselves.

just about anything. And you are wrong about the grey area, EVERYTHING is a grey area.
Ha... hardly. The FAA has made it abundantly clear that UAS operations fall into one of three sections and they don't overlap. Hobby/Recreational, Public Use COA, or Part 107. They do not overlap.

Just because you do it has no bearing what so ever of the legality.

And for the record I do go way out of my way to stay within the laws of the land... speed limits, banking, taxes across the board. I'd like to pay a lot less taxes but I pay more than my fair share each and every year. While I've not always lived my personal life in this manner I do try to stay in between the lines in everything I do.

Just because you take pride in "breaking the rules" and "skirting the system" doesn't mean everyone does. It's just a personal decision on how you want to live your own life. To each their own.

That pretty much sums it up. It's illegal all the way around regardless how you try to sugar coat it. I never said it was a BIG DEAL but illegal is illegal is illegal. The big difference is that you stated online which is wrong all day long each and every day. PERIOD! If you're going to give online advice please have the common courtesy to give accurate and cited advice. If someone else wants to break the law that is their business but at least they need to know it's illegal and give them the option of making that decision for themselves.

Ha... hardly. The FAA has made it abundantly clear that UAS operations fall into one of three sections and they don't overlap. Hobby/Recreational, Public Use COA, or Part 107. They do not overlap.

Just because you do it has no bearing what so ever of the legality.

And for the record I do go way out of my way to stay within the laws of the land... speed limits, banking, taxes across the board. I'd like to pay a lot less taxes but I pay more than my fair share each and every year. While I've not always lived my personal life in this manner I do try to stay in between the lines in everything I do.

Just because you take pride in "breaking the rules" and "skirting the system" doesn't mean everyone does. It's just a personal decision on how you want to live your own life. To each their own.
I see what your saying but don't forget i am in the UK and our rules are slightly more different and relaxed. This is really nothing to do with any illegal activity deals. Its one good deed in return for another good dead. Its the British way of life [emoji6]

Reactions: BigAl07
I see what your saying but don't forget i am in the UK and our rules are slightly more different and relaxed. This is really nothing to do with any illegal activity deals. Its one good deed in return for another good dead. Its the British way of life [emoji6]

Yes I agree with you (in fact I made the comment initially that I "thought" you were not in the US) and that post was in direct reply to Uncle Stumpy's comments.

you know i think there people in here that actually physically twitch when someone else mentions breaking a rule or god forbid actually breaks one.they are straight in there with the "oh no oh no you cant do that it breaks regulation 607 article 15 etc etc.its hilarious.
be happy for the guy he got two free pints and made a new friend.jeez lighten up.

I just love it when people point out other's bad behaviour, to justify their own.
Bad behaviour? Making a few bucks on the side is bad behaviour? Wow. Talk about self righteous.
How many skeletons will we find in your closet, Father Downey? Never mind, you would never admit to anything anyway. Happy flying.
Are you 10?
Do you also condone someone "making a few bucks" doing electrical/plumbing/building work without a license when a license is required?
Sure I've made bad choices, and done things I shouldn't have, but I own that. I don't justify it by saying "they did it too" like a child might do.

Are you 10?
Do you also condone someone "making a few bucks" doing electrical/plumbing/building work without a license when a license is required?
Sure I've made bad choices, and done things I shouldn't have, but I own that. I don't justify it by saying "they did it too" like a child might do.

No, I am 65 and I have been "around the block" several times. How about you? So if you are happy with your strict following of the rules, please go for it. But please remember that your opinion is just that - your opinion. I am content with bending the rules a little, if you are not, God bless you. Now go fly your drone and be happy.

As neon we are in the UK and are more relaxed about things than in the good old USA it does not have to be all about the law. Chill out you USA drone babies.

?..if the OP had taken the pictures....However, if the manager took the pictures then he owns the copyright to them...

Tangent point - the above extract quote got me wondering whilst reading this thread, - is there a clear definition of what 'who took the photos' means, and therefore whom owns them?

Eg if Neon (pilot) handed RC to 'other' briefly, and they then took some Pics (pressed RC 'take photo' Botton) then handed back RC to Pilot, whom is the photographer / picture and copyright owner? (And potentially the commercial beneficiary of same).

Tangent point - the above extract quote got me wondering whilst reading this thread, - is there a clear definition of what 'who took the photos' means, and therefore whom owns them?

Eg if Neon (pilot) handed RC to 'other' briefly, and they then took some Pics (pressed RC 'take photo' Botton) then handed back RC to Pilot, whom is the photographer / picture and copyright owner? (And potentially the commercial beneficiary of same).

Look at it like this... If Neon had a weapon, handed it to Loz and Loz fired the weapon causing harm to someone... who is at fault? The person initiating the action is at fault/blame for the action (positive or negative).

A photograph means to draw with light. Thus the person who pressed the shutter to create the 'drawing', and created the scene owns the copyright as the creator. Any photographer who has ever hired a camera or borrowed one would know that the images they create belong to the button pressed not the equipment owner.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl