Cheap drone flies after a year in a tree.

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share a story that I found humorous..

Before I bought my P4P a year ago, my neighbor's evergreen tree grabbed my $35 Syma X5SW by the prop guards about 50 foot from the ground. Yes, i should not have been flying in my neighborhood, nor should I have been flying in such high winds. My only excuse would be that I was fairly new to flying outside at the time. Not being worth the risk of trying to retrieve it, we apologized to our neighbor and asked that they let us know if it ever came down. I could see it with binoculars for a month or two, but it soon disappeared from view. I had no idea if it had fallen further down the tree beyond site or if it fell completely to the ground and someone took it. I checked with some surrounding neighbors and no one claimed to have seen it. At that point I pretty much gave up on it, but never forgot the lesson.

Fast forward to a little over a year later, here comes my neighbor to the door holding my drone. All I could do was laugh when I saw it. I'm not sure what my neighbor was thinking, but he didn't seem to find it as funny. I again apologized and thanked him for returning it. Everything on it that wasn't white was very sun faded and there was some particular matter on it that confirmed it had indeed been outside for a long time. I assumed it was toast after spending over a year in the rain and snow, but had to try it out. The battery looked fine, so I went ahead and hooked it up to the charger and crossed my fingers hoping that the cheap LiPo battery would not catch fire or explode. While the lights on my charger indicated something wasn't right, it did take a charge.

I was surprised when the drone actually lit up and sync'd to my controller, but even more surprised when it actually flew. The camera on it would not work, but who needs a .1mp drone camera at 720p when you have a P4P? If I ever fly it outside again, I'm taking those prop guards off for sure. :)

Had a pair of somewhat similar experiences. Lost a MicroDrone in a hemlock tree. A really bushy, nasty hemlock tree. Wasn't worth it to try to retrieve it. A year or so later, the tree blows down and I retrieve the drone. Replace the battery, spray WD-40 on the motors and off it went. Still flies.

Somewhat more impressive was the Phantom 3P that took off one morning in a snowstorm never to be seen again. Until late the next spring when somebody called me asking if I lost a drone. The thing had ignored it's home point, gone over a 500 foot ridge and landed in the next valley. Said valley typically is snow covered until February. A hunter found it sitting next to a tree.

Two of the motors were frozen. Replaced them, replaced the battery, air dried the unit over a couple of weeks and fired it up. The gimbal was a bit janky (obvious rust on and around the motors) but it worked. All the electronics worked. Replaced the gimbal and camera. Still flies.

Yeah, for cheap consumer electronics, these things are pretty impressive.

(Professional driver on closed course. YMMV. Do not attempt at home. Do not taunt happy fun ball.)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik