Battery Error....then fall from 320 feet!

Reaction score
Posted a problem I had on Saturday with losing signal. Was worried that I might have a faulty Phantom. Decided to work with it today for a bit.

Did a few shorter flights this morning. All went well. Watched everything, loaded all info in Healthy Drones, etc. Decided to take it out at about 5:30, this was the 4th flight today. All was going well, got it out where I was going and turned around and headed back. It was probably 300 ft away when I saw "Battery Error" flashing in red on top of the screen. I never saw this before and was trying to get home as quickly as I could. It was at an altitude of 325' and literally across the street from my house when it went suddenly quiet. Not good. All I could do was watch as it plummeted to the ground about 50' away in the yard across the street. I tried yanking the controls down quickly hoping to restart. No go. Can't explain that feeling I got watching it fall.

Not sure what would cause this. It basically just shut off in mid-flight. The logs don't even show any problems. They just end at the point of power loss. Can't even view the video, as it must have been damaged in the fall, because it won't play at all. Very troubling, in that I got very lucky it landed in a grassy yard and not on top of a person, car etc. I bought through Amazon and they are sending me a replacement, so I am lucky there also.

Has anyone else had this happen using the current firmware. I was on 1.6. Also, in case it's important, it was 75 degrees outside. No cold weather.

Was your battery FULLY CHARGED before flying?

Yes, battery was at 100% pre flight. I believe it was at about 55-60 percent when error occurred.

What firmware were you flying? 1.5 firmware is known to do this. The worse thing to do during battery error, or a low battery is to go FULL THROTTLE to get back as soon as you can. In those circumstances full throttle can pull the voltage down enough to trigger battery protection, sometimes shutting down all power, assuming you were flying with 1.5 firmware. 1.6 was supposed to fix that.

Can you share the .txt and .dat files?

Hmmm. Let's see the healthy drones info.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will comfortably fly over water or open country high and far but flying around my neighbours houses frightens me, for this reason. Hope we get to a cause for this failure. Do you have the .dat file downloaded? There are some members here that manage to get an amazing amount of info from the .dat's.

Not saying this was your problem but worth saying anyways because I see people here mentioning it frequently...

Was the battery pushed in all the way till it clicks? I ask this because it seems not everyone gets them in tightly. There are 4 contacts with the battery, 2 for poor & 2 for telemetry. If the 2 tiny spring loaded pins lose connection it is all over as it will fail.

One thing I learned is if the battery is not fully inserted it may let you take off but then post the error sometime in the flight. Happened to me once and I was thankfully right there to catch the P3P

Sent from my PT beating heart

Not saying this was your problem but worth saying anyways because I see people here mentioning it frequently...

Was the battery pushed in all the way till it clicks? I ask this because it seems not everyone gets them in tightly. There are 4 contacts with the battery, 2 for poor & 2 for telemetry. If the 2 tiny spring loaded pins lose connection it is all over as it will fail.
Yeah, it's funny that you mention that because I am pretty **** when it comes to that. If it doesn't seem to click right, I will remove and re-insert. It was absolutely pushed in all the way.

Working on uploading the .txt file. Can't seem to load phantompilots.com on my computer, only on my iPad. Any way to load via iPad?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl