Reaction score
Hi I am sick to the back teeth of restrictions that DJI are implementing into each software/firmware update,
always wanting to update to avoid issues I find that I can no longer enjoy flying my Phantom 3 ADV...

This morning at 7am outside my place of work Fantastic colours in the morning sunrise so I took out my Phantom with the hope of catching some beautiful footage, built the machine up connected my tablet waited for the Drone to warm up,15 satellites located,safe to fly pull on the joysticks "Nothing" on screen warning about battery temperature being too low, warm to at least 15c I took the battery out tried another same thing, so I warmed one under my armpit for a few minutes, all this time I am missing the gorgeous sunrise,
Put battery back in wait for aircraft to warm up still no fly battery is now 18c and the battery monitor showing the cell's in yellow.
15 minutes before I can start the motors piss arsing about with the machine with Colleagues awaiting this amazing display that I missed I was so fed up I never flew the bird, just wrapped it all up back in the case.

Spent the rest of the day having the piss taken out of me by "work mates" asking stuff like "how much are they? I would ask for a refund" and much stronger "Banter"

Rewind to February this year and I flew over a frozen lake, over a frozen forest all without issue and temperature's at MINUS degrees......so at 18c why have DJI Neutered my bird I am sick of various problems that I encounter with each "Update" needless to say I didn't install latest update because of people having range issue's and I will never install another update

So I guess winter flying is out of bounds now and as British summer's are very brief I may just sell it and give up Winter and Autumn are my favourite times to capture footage not bloody summer DJI!!!!!

Based upon reports from many, it's felt that FW releases are not fully tested and put us in trouble. Common functions work but all corner cases like working in extreme climates etc are questionable.

On the other side, we know LiPO batteries can't give enough discharge currents at low temperatures and if you really are flying in such climates regularly better by a battery heater. That will get you little peace of mind. Otherwise we are all on the mercy of our lucks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You have to keep the batteries warm. Was out camping and left the drone in my truck. Wanted to fly in the early morning sun.....nope, cold battery and must warm up. Anyways, cold dramatically affects LiPo battery's. Cold batteries in the past brought drones falling out of the sky due to battery protection circuit. Now software protects us from the battery circuit shutting down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Same bird last year flew in much colder temps without issue, so it limit's
cold weather flying then?

It limits the battery performance in cold weather. The colder the battery, the lower safe battery output is possible. The warmer the battery, the more safe battery output is available. I have flown my drone in the chill of winter in northcentral Montana. You have to have warm batteries and maintain that warmth till actual flying time. Just have to know the limits of your equipment when affected by temperature.

The problem is that some people had their aircraft falling out of the sky because they were taking off with batteries that weren't within specified operating temps. At the time people started griping and complaining so DJI implemented (rightfully so) certain safeguards to help protect the aircraft from their operators.

Did this cause some "cold start" issues? Of course. Did it pretty much stop the phantoms falling out of the sky because of cold batteries? I think it might have.

LiPo batteries are temperature sensitive and and reduced temps their output and overall performance is greatly reduced. At colder temps when you push the battery hard it could hit power levels below the MIN allowed for operation which would then cause the battery to shut down.... phantom becomes a tumbling mass of plastic and parts destined for the scrap bin.

Your best bet is to learn and understand LiPo properties and then work to keep your batteries within that threshold so you can fly just about any time you and your friends would like.

The problem is that some people had their aircraft falling out of the sky because they were taking off with batteries that weren't within specified operating temps. At the time people started griping and complaining so DJI implemented (rightfully so) certain safeguards to help protect the aircraft from their operators.

Did this cause some "cold start" issues? Of course. Did it pretty much stop the phantoms falling out of the sky because of cold batteries? I think it might have.

LiPo batteries are temperature sensitive and and reduced temps their output and overall performance is greatly reduced. At colder temps when you push the battery hard it could hit power levels below the MIN allowed for operation which would then cause the battery to shut down.... phantom becomes a tumbling mass of plastic and parts destined for the scrap bin.

Your best bet is to learn and understand LiPo properties and then work to keep your batteries within that threshold so you can fly just about any time you and your friends would like.
This. There's a reason they sell battery warmers.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi I am sick to the back teeth of restrictions that DJI are implementing into each software/firmware update,
always wanting to update to avoid issues I find that I can no longer enjoy flying my Phantom 3 ADV...

This morning at 7am outside my place of work Fantastic colours in the morning sunrise so I took out my Phantom with the hope of catching some beautiful footage, built the machine up connected my tablet waited for the Drone to warm up,15 satellites located,safe to fly pull on the joysticks "Nothing" on screen warning about battery temperature being too low, warm to at least 15c I took the battery out tried another same thing, so I warmed one under my armpit for a few minutes, all this time I am missing the gorgeous sunrise,
Put battery back in wait for aircraft to warm up still no fly battery is now 18c and the battery monitor showing the cell's in yellow.
15 minutes before I can start the motors piss arsing about with the machine with Colleagues awaiting this amazing display that I missed I was so fed up I never flew the bird, just wrapped it all up back in the case.

Spent the rest of the day having the piss taken out of me by "work mates" asking stuff like "how much are they? I would ask for a refund" and much stronger "Banter"

Rewind to February this year and I flew over a frozen lake, over a frozen forest all without issue and temperature's at MINUS degrees......so at 18c why have DJI Neutered my bird I am sick of various problems that I encounter with each "Update" needless to say I didn't install latest update because of people having range issue's and I will never install another update

So I guess winter flying is out of bounds now and as British summer's are very brief I may just sell it and give up Winter and Autumn are my favourite times to capture footage not bloody summer DJI!!!!!

Same thing happened to me today...I waited about 30 seconds deciding if was going to take It up or not until I finally decided screw it and it started right up and I flew...I don't know if it wouldn't have started if I tried as soon as I saw the error but after about 30 sec or so it did take off...

Simple fix. I carry my 2 spare batteries (and the primary till ready to use it) On the inside of my jacket in the side pockets. Body temp will keep them warm enough to use w/o issue. At least it did all last winter in SW Illinois.

If during the flight the temp drops below 15c, what happens to my p3p?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: yorlik
The op didn't give much information. Were the batteries cold or were they room temp when you put them in for the flight? You should also do a cold IMU calibration. Put just the bird outside in the cold temp for about 15 minutes and bring it in, put a battery in it, fire it up and do an IMU calibration immediately. That will cut down on the amount of warm up time the drone itself may have to go through before flight in cold temps, which could also be chilling down the battery while you wait. Cold IMU calibration once at the onset of cold weather and room temp batteries. No need to give up on cold weather flying and bonus, there's always another great sunrise down the line.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic