Bad Landing Gear

Reaction score
One of my P4P's recently crashed and I'm repairing it myself. I've ordered two sets of landing gear, from different sources, and both of them broke when screwing down the same screw on the right rear mounting plate. DJI will not replace the landing gear, but of course wants me to send the drone in for repair. I won't do that because they will not promise to return my actual drone. I want this drone back because 1: it's registered with the FAA and 2: I replaced the middle shell with an obsidian shell for better visibility.

Is anyone else experiencing the problem of new landing gear breaking like this?
IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_2915.JPG

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Oh, and that's the same part that broke during the crash. The other end of the gear just bent.

Looks like the screw head is wedging the hole open as it's tightened. Would need to look at the two closely (hole and underside of screw head) to be sure, but relieving the hole with a deburr would help - as would adding a thin fibre washer under the screw head. Oh, and don't over-tighten!

The underside of the screw is fine. In fact each leg broke using a different screw. Also, the screw slipped into the hole and thread with no trouble. Tightened all 8 screws to the same perceived torque - on both sets of legs. The problem occurred first on the old mid shell and then the new shell. The only conclusion I can imagine is that the plastic weld joint where the two parts of the leg casing are put together is somehow weak or not fully welded at the factory, causing the normal torque of the screw head to split the area around the screw.

Reactions: Droner66

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4