Phantom 4 landing gear stress cracks. SOLUTION!!!!!

Reaction score
Hi recently I bought a phantom 4 pro that had all but one of those caps that cover the landing gears on it. So I bought some on eBay and put it in. After a while I noticed that all the legs had cracked except for the one I had put the cap in. I did not know what this was so I just sent it back and bought a different one. I started to see lines forming but they didn't go all the way through. I thought that maybe the screws were over tightened so I popped the cats off and loosen the screws which seemed to be very tight in the back but then I saw that the landing gear caps that came with the drone were a different style than I bought for the previous phantom that I had purchased. The line had formed in front of a hole which a piece of plastic protruding from The landing gear cap sticks into. The design of landing gear cap I had purchased online clipped back in where the cables went into and provided a flat surface for the rest of it to sit on. I replaced all of the landing gear caps with the ones I purchased on eBay and after flying it for a while nothing new is forming or worsening on my landing gears. This might be a good solution so I made this diagram attached showing how the old landing gear cap compares with the new one. The red arrow points to the hole that the old landing gear cap went into, the yellow line is where the line that does not go all the way through started forming, and the blue arrow points to where the new landing gear cap clicks into. If you do this do so at your own risk because the original landing gear caps are pretty hard to take out unlike the new ones, and it might void any warranty or return possibilities. Hope you see this if you just got a phantom 4 series drone or are replacing your landing gears.

Here is where I bought my landing gear caps
MAKE SURE TO LOOK UP ONLINE THE ORDER THAT YOU PUT THEM IN IF YOU DO THIS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210520-220515_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210520-220515_Photos.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO and 1buddyc
I always wonder if hand catching drones cause stress on the landing gear enough to cause problems with cracking like this.. I never hand catch mine, because I feel that when you lift the weight of the drone by one leg, it puts quite a bit of stress on it. Just my theory though

Reactions: DroneB
I bought some of those also. They are much easier to install and seem to hold much better.
Thanks for sharing
Hello again. Did you buy yours from ebay as well? Wondering if the new ones from Amazon are the same as these. Need some soon. Thanks

Hello again. Did you buy yours from ebay as well? Wondering if the new ones from Amazon are the same as these. Need some soon. Thanks
Below I have attached photos with a red x on the style you don't want and a green check on the one that seems to fix the problem.

The difference is the top nub that clicks into the landing gear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210521-150851_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210521-150851_Photos.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot_20210521-150905_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210521-150905_Photos.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Below I have attached photos with a red x on the style you don't want and a green check on the one that seems to fix the problem.

The difference is the top nub that clicks into the landing gear.
Whether it was the landing gear or stress cracks under the motors, the quality of these P3/P4 plastic drone shells left us disappointed to say the least.

I always wonder if hand catching drones cause stress on the landing gear enough to cause problems with cracking like this.. I never hand catch mine, because I feel that when you lift the weight of the drone by one leg, it puts quite a bit of stress on it. Just my theory though
I use my Gannet to hand catch. If offers a good center point and doesn’t put all the stress on one leg. I would assume a gimbal protector would offer similar support as well.

Gimbal protector

Reactions: Capt KO
Whether it was the landing gear or stress cracks under the motors, the quality of these P3/P4 plastic drone shells left us disappointed to say the least.
You got that right... I bought one of the 1st gen P3Ps and flew it for 2 years before the motor cracking issue presented itself widespread. I glued and reinforced the mounts and added mount plates on it until last year when I did a full shell replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan