Australian Phantom Flyers!

Me...

First time I've seen this thread, I belong to both the DJI Australia forum and the local DJI Perth forum over here. Both seem fairly reasonable, not too much whinging, and are a good source for local information.
I live in the SW of WA and have 100,000 hectares at my front door and deserted beaches 40 mins from home. Just need the rain to stop.....

Guys I'm heading to Darwin NT in the next week and a bit...any suggestions as to where I could go to fly my drone to capture some good photos and videos? Please note, I am also a relatively inexperienced pilot, so nothing challenging. Thanks!

RoOSTA

Guys I'm heading to Darwin NT in the next week and a bit...any suggestions as to where I could go to fly my drone to capture some good photos and videos? Please note, I am also a relatively inexperienced pilot, so nothing challenging. Thanks!

RoOSTA
If you download the CASA Can I Fly There app, it will notify you of any restrictions at the many spots along the foreshore around Darwin.

Hi I don't mean to argue, and I do agree with most of what you said, except the word 'any' - I believe it 'may' offer 'some' of the restrictions. I'm a fan and think the app is a step forward but for example one cannot fly over any state / National Park Victoria (some very onerous exceptions aside) yet the app is silent on this completely - IMHO net result is one is not informed that flying there is not permitted. I think this misses the mark for recreational flyers entirely, as they may use the app intending to do the right thing, yet risk being fined

Hi I don't mean to argue, and I do agree with most of what you said, except the word 'any' - I believe it 'may' offer 'some' of the restrictions. I'm a fan and think the app is a step forward but for example one cannot fly over any state / National Park Victoria (some very onerous exceptions aside) yet the app is silent on this completely - IMHO net result is one is not informed that flying there is not permitted. I think this misses the mark for recreational flyers entirely, as they may use the app intending to do the right thing, yet risk being fined

The app states where CASA say you can fly. National parks are controlled by state governments and none of them let you fly over them (Qld requires a permit), NSW you can ask (I did) but you’re pretty much guaranteed to get a flat no.

The app states where CASA say you can fly. National parks are controlled by state governments and none of them let you fly over them (Qld requires a permit), NSW you can ask (I did) but you’re pretty much guaranteed to get a flat no.
Not sure about flying over national parks, you are not allowed to take off and land in the ones over here in WA, but you can fly over them enroute to wherever or from you are flying. I have one at my back door and the local DPAW ranger is my neighbour who has no problems with me flying over them except for consideration during nesting seasons.

Not sure about flying over national parks, you are not allowed to take off and land in the ones over here in WA, but you can fly over them enroute to wherever or from you are flying. I have one at my back door and the local DPAW ranger is my neighbour who has no problems with me flying over them except for consideration during nesting seasons.

NSW and QLD are definite no fly zones without permission. I’d agree with nesting season too but commonsense isn’t something you find in government these days [emoji12] and shhhhh. Bathurst [emoji6]

NSW and QLD are definite no fly zones without permission. I’d agree with nesting season too but commonsense isn’t something you find in government these days [emoji12] and shhhhh. Bathurst [emoji6]
Probably the reason I moved over here... Sorry about the Bathurst interruption, I was quickly typing during the last safety car, and hoping Coulthard would get up! Love the attitude of the Erebus team owner and the great tatts.

Probably the reason I moved over here... Sorry about the Bathurst interruption, I was quickly typing during the last safety car, and hoping Coulthard would get up! Love the attitude of the Erebus team owner and the great tatts.

Agreed. Love Betty. Someone whose still real even with her squillions. Doing something she loves with her cash [emoji106]

Reactions: tevek
You definately need permission to fly in any National Park in NSW. I went down to my local National Park & Wildlife Office to discuss this. The ranger was very nice - provided me with the two options available...

Drones in Parks Policy form

If flying only for personal pleasure or to take footage for personal use only (non-commercial) read this:

Drones in parks policy

you still need permission - from this link: If visitors wish to use a drone in a park they must check with the park manager if it is allowed and adhere to the following rules.

Filming & Photography Policy

For ANY commercial use, even taking a photo to use in your website or brochures etc.. then you need to apply for permission and pay a fee, determined by what you want to do. They are quite amenable to Wedding or Landscape video & photos apparently:

Applying for permission for commercial filming in a national park | NSW Environment & Heritage

Reactions: Loz
Hi All

Anyone recommend a good Dji service centre within Vic or even better West of Melbourne.

Just getting back into using my P3 pro and always good to know before hand in case I need some repairs.

I am using a 8" Samsung Galaxy S2 and not a easy screen to see at this time of year with the bright sunlight , anyone recommend another tablet.

Cheers
David

Hi All

Anyone recommend a good Dji service centre within Vic or even better West of Melbourne.

Just getting back into using my P3 pro and always good to know before hand in case I need some repairs.

I am using a 8" Samsung Galaxy S2 and not a easy screen to see at this time of year with the bright sunlight , anyone recommend another tablet.

Cheers
David
DJI head office is in Melbourne somewhere. Their number is 1300 090 802 and run Mon-Fri office hours.
Have you tried a sunshade for your device? Without moving up to a high end iPad or Crystal Sky monitor, with prices to match, you can look at spending $20 for a simple shade. I use one and it is quite reasonable although I tend to look for a tree if the sun is overhead.

Agree with above. DJI have just opened a store in Chadstone Shopping Centre as well - I went in and asked if they were servicing too, was told that initially only Mavic but more models will follow. I also tried
EEHobbies for P3 service earlier this year & found them terrible - my RC had stopped working after a firmware upgrade fail - they sent P3 and RC to DJI claiming they didn't stock parts (which is fine except why advertise as a service provider if you just send it on). Neither DJI nor EEHobbies would look at RC - quoted me price for new one - pathetic service I felt. Hope that helps. I used iPad Mini3 & it too struggles with bright light - I too end up under a tree / shade and that works fine, the shades I have I just couldn't be bothered to set up each time I fly...

Hey all - I thought I would post here in the OZ discussion as I am hoping to reach out to all Australian P4P flyers... do any of you balance your props and if so - where did you buy the balancing rod? I reckon all is needed is the balance rod placed on the rim of a glass on a flat level table, not the whole rod balancing rig ... going one step further after not able to find the rod under $20+ on Ebay.com.au, will simply a 3mm steel rod work?

Last edited:
You will need M6 LH & RH threaded ends on your rod, 3mm should be ok.

Balancing factory props is largely unnecessary, they are very close out of the packet.

Reactions: DPAus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31